GDT: Canes @ Oilers - and then things got worse

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Harrison really has to go at this point, no other way to put it.

There's no way that Fleury, right now, is a worse option to have back there then him. But with as many supposed NHL defensemen as we have under contract right now sending Fleury back was the only thing we could do.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I won't lie I was actually expecting to wake up this morning to find out that we had won.

How silly of me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I missed this one so only get to watch highlights. Simply defensive breakdowns and rebound control killed them.

First goal..Harrison, WFT.

Second goal...what were Tlusty and Gleason even doing on Joensuu. They let Joensuu split them and neither one of them stays with him and he gets the easy rebound (which Anton gives up a lot of).

Third Goal...no idea how the ref can miss that. Clear chop on Bellemore, stick broken, ref right there. Hard to really blame anyone on that.

4th goal. Gleason WTF again. He loses his stick and just drifts up to the blue line then casually goes over to the bench to get another stick leaving 1 guy back. Granted, McClement, Boychuk etc... didn't recognize this and provided no help.

5th goal. Hainsey just outworked first behind the net then again in front. Rebound control again (can't be sure via the replay).

I realize it's early and there have been a lot of injuries, a lot of AHL caliber players on offense (missing 3 of their best defensive forwards in J. Staal, Dwyer, and Gerbe), but other than maybe 1 game, this defense has been much worse than last year. I kind of expected it from guys like Harrison, Gleason, Bellemore...but Hainsey has been downright terrible, Faulk has had some brutal play and even Sekera hasn't looked nearly as good as last year (even pre-injury).

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
If this team faced the 2002-03 Hurricanes team in a seven game series which team wins and why is it neither?

dammit100

Nov 5, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hainsey didn't help on the 5th goal, but I'm more peeved at Bellemore for that one. He took himself out of the play by going up to the half wall to put a hit on Eberle, then after making the hit, he looks around like "alright, now what do I do?"

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Clear answer for why it's neither is that both teams run into a laundry list of injuries and are incapable of finishing the series while staying within the 50 contract limit.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

There's no way that Fleury, right now, is a worse option to have back there then him. But with as many supposed NHL defensemen as we have under contract right now sending Fleury back was the only thing we could do.

He's a much worse option in the big picture. No reason to burn years on this season with an 18yo dman.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Hainsey does look a bit slow, so this 3 year contract is a bit troubling. The good news is JR isn't around anymore to desperately dump the contract while throwing in Haydn Fleury as a sweetener.

(As Mark Alt is on the verge of making his NHL debut)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's basically the only argument I can get behind on that honestly. Regardless, Harrison needs to go. I don't care if it's Fleury replacing him or one of Jordan, Carrick, or Lowe. Really can't be that much worse at this point.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
That's basically the only argument I can get behind on that honestly. Regardless, Harrison needs to go. I don't care if it's Fleury replacing him or one of Jordan, Carrick, or Lowe. Really can't be that much worse at this point.

I've reconciled the idea that Ronnie is just going to play out the unmoveable contracts, and in 2 years, they'll start trying to win again.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the Canes have been and still are terrible in their end. if fore checked at all they are a mess and get hemmed in. they then either panic and give it away up the middle or toss it up the boards which is hard on the wingers. goaltending hasn't been great but play in the D zone is inevitably hard on the goalies. you can argue they don't have the horses but you could also argue that the system needs to be adjusted as well. maybe this process is just taking longer than everyone would like or expected. if this new coaching staff is as good as advertised they should improve. just don't keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

Harrison has made a number of memorable mistakes this year...like the give-away on the first goal list night.

However, he was still given the third most ice-time of the d-men last night. He is tied for the lead it points by d-men with Sekera, on the year he is averaging the 2nd most ice-time of the d-men, he tied for the best plus-minus, he has a positive corsi rating, faces the 2nd highest quality of competition, and he has the lowest offensive zone start % on the team for d-men.

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...siRel&yAxis=qoc&update-filters=Update+Results

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I wouldn't look too hard at corsi just yet. When you have such a small sample size on the year, things like shot quality come into play. Most of Harrison's errors have resulted in goals or great opportunities.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
you know, we can ***** and moan about Harrison all we want. he tries and it is what it is. it's up to Peters (and/or Smith) and Francis to fix it. and like I said, adjust, because the other teams consistently know how to exploit them in their own end and game in and game out they do the same thing. these defence men may not be Norris winners but they are not plugs either and should be better, especially Faulk, Sekera, Murphy, Hainsey.
Francis decided to go with all these guys come hell or high water. welp....that said, I still think it's early and maybe, just maybe it takes more time for this group and coaching staff.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Harrison is still a fine bottom pair defenseman. I just don't understand why every coach continuously overslots him. He is the Char of defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad