Confirmed with Link: Canes officially match l'offre hostile from MTL for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

"This was an easy decision," said Waddell. "Sebastian is one of the best players in the league and the centerpiece of what we're building here. We've spoken to him throughout this process and he's made it clear that he wants to be in Raleigh and be a part of this organization.

"It's our job to manage our cap space as our players develop and hit free agency. There was no concern at any point that we would not be able to match this contract. Once again, the Carolina Hurricanes should not be underestimated. We have a plan and all the resources to win a Stanley Cup."

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
8B869137-E277-4694-8693-6C2DDFB90D9D.jpeg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Zero blame for Aho / Johansson. If you don't make at least a reasonable offer to your young star center, then that's what you get. 8,5 x 5 is still very reasonable, but could have been better with more years, if Dundon / Waddell didn't **** it up. I get that you start negotiations low, but not that low especially with someone like Aho.
Aho was not going to sign for more years. The fact he went straight toward the offer sheet without negotiating makes that abundantly clear.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Zero blame for Aho / Johansson. If you don't make at least a reasonable offer to your young star center, then that's what you get. 8,5 x 5 is still very reasonable, but could have been better with more years, if Dundon / Waddell didn't **** it up. I get that you start negotiations low, but not that low especially with someone like Aho.

Nah.

Aho was, under no circumstances, taking any more than 5 years. That was the whole point of this exercise.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Nah.

Aho was, under no circumstances, taking any more than 5 years. That was the whole point of this exercise.
Yeah if there was any hope of getting a longer deal, there is no way that it would have gone to an offer sheet. If there is any sense that we screwed up here, it was purely in misunderstanding how adamant Aho was on the 5 years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We have a plan and all the resources to win a Stanley Cup.

I'M SO ****ING PUMPED AT THIS
Honestly, this offer sheet thing is only going to further cement the 'us vs the world' mantra that the Bunch of Jerks mindset took on last year. In fact, it plays right into it. And now DW goes out and says basically WWE style "you underestimate me? f*** you. We wanted to be the best, for us, but now, we're going to do it with both middle fingers in the air, because f*** you that's why"

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think it only makes clear that they thought that they weren't even close in negotiations and decided to sign the offersheet, so that Aho can play when the puck drops in october and not go the nylander route.

I think what made Aho's side wanting to go max 5 years is the fact that they saw no reasonable deal to be made on 6-8 year contract.

You're wrong. There was no reasonable deal to be made, because it's not what Aho wanted. He wanted a 5 year deal from the beginning. His side said it over and over.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Cool, now we can all move on and look forward to the future of this up and coming team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tryamw

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Now, 5 years from now, he meets a nice rich girl from Cary, or a tarted-up hood rat from Battery Heights, because love don't know no boundaries, and maybe that changes.

Sorry, hes rich himself now and he has a girlfriend

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love what is happening on the main board right now. How many pics of basketball players shattering backboards with epic dunks do you think before it triggers a *Mod Warning* to the thread?

Reactions: SvechneJerk

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
I don’t feel that there is necessarily any blame to be placed around. We are a small market team, and as such we need to manage costs aggressively while maintaining a competitive lineup. That being said, you don’t let your best player get to a point where he can potentially be poached by another team. Donny Wadd gambled and fortunately it worked out in the end. I doubt this situation repeats itself with Svech.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Love this from LeBrun’s latest in the Athletic:

Believe me when I say this: I guarantee Dundon has already told Waddell that if there’s an RFA in Montreal the ‘Canes can go after over the next few years, he’s got the green light to do something crazy.
I also love how LeBrun has to do his service to Canada and give them hope by speculating he could be traded after the year like Weber and RoR were ultimately traded.

Reactions: Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad