A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

giphy.gif

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m not worried about us not matching, i’m worried about any affect this may have on the long term relationship between Aho, the organization, and the fans.

That may sound insecure, but as a long time Canes fan you can’t help it feeling a little bit weird about all of this.

Even if it’s just shallow lip service, i’m going to be interested to hear from the kid himself. Would we even get the traditional pen to paper picture with corresponding quotes, or is it just a press release saying we decided to match and he’s now under contract?

Once training camp starts up i’m going to make a bee line to read what Aho says.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'm really interested now to see what happens with the other RFAs. There's a pattern developing here. Larkin signed for 5 years. The Leafs got Nylander for 6, but that negotiation was painful. Matthews went for 5. Meier opted for 4, but is basically guaranteed 8 figures in year 5 on the basis of his QO. Aho was insistent on 5, obviously.

Is anyone going to take a discount this offseason or have we seen the end of the max-term, or close to it, cost-controlled 2nd contract? If it's the latter, it's going to disrupt many roster builds. Be grateful that Francis was able to squeak in a few (Slavin, Pesce) before the landscape potentially changed.
I think this is the beginning of the longer second contract, and a reduction of the veteran almost out of their prime 8 year deal. The next CBA will kind of reverse the current situation, I believe.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah this makes sense. We had a thread for each AHL signing and not the single biggest transaction in several years.

I think we were trying to deny it was actually happening.

I think he just wanted use offre hostile in another thread title.

One of these things comes around every six years and we've *never* been the subject/victim. On the plus side, at least we now have a player worth poaching.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I'm really interested now to see what happens with the other RFAs. There's a pattern developing here. Larkin signed for 5 years. The Leafs got Nylander for 6, but that negotiation was painful. Matthews went for 5. Meier opted for 4, but is basically guaranteed 8 figures in year 5 on the basis of his QO. Aho was insistent on 5, obviously.

Is anyone going to take a discount this offseason or have we seen the end of the max-term, or close to it, cost-controlled 2nd contract? If it's the latter, it's going to disrupt many roster builds. Be grateful that Francis was able to squeak in a few (Slavin, Pesce) before the landscape potentially changed.
I would be thrilled if the days of 8 year contracts came to a close. it leads to an inefficient deployment of cap space, which squeezes players year after year. I think it will lead to more interesting team dynamics, more fluid roster situations around the league, and better hockey. cap them at 5 years IMO.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
You guys better have 'offre hostile' signs all over when we play in Raleigh. :popcorn:

PS : Off course Aho will stay with you. We ain't all delusional in Montreal. Still, Bergevin's move was fun. Maybe even a wake up call for some GMs.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don’t know why you’d say “bad pool” to Bergevin for trying to take advantage of a supposed cash-poor team. He’s worried about his team, full stop. I don’t blame him for it, nor do I blame Aho for taking his contract negotiations to the next level.

I'd agree with this if the offer was better. Even Waddell chuckled when he saw the terms. He wasn't trying to take advantage of a cash-poor team, he was just trying to screw with us. If he was really trying to take advantage and get the player, we'd be looking at a Matthews-level offre hostile. He *knew* it wouldn't work, therefore, bad pool.

f*** you Dundon. We *just* started this thread.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'd agree with this if the offer was better. Even Waddell chuckled when he saw the terms. He wasn't trying to take advantage of a cash-poor team, he was just trying to screw with us. If he was really trying to take advantage and get the player, we'd be looking at a Matthews-level offre hostile. He *knew* it wouldn't work, therefore, bad pool.

**** you Dundon. We *just* started this thread.

I knew it wouldn't take much for kev to turn on Dundon. :thumbu:

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I as, like bazillion people would be surpised, if Aho would not stay in Carolina. If he leaves... I'd ...like you know... not able to talk for some time. This really was one of the things... Ok, I'm not able to speak as of now. When I woke up, this hit me. But no way on hell Carolina should not match this, even if it's hurtful. But yeah, quite a shake of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia