Confirmed with Link: Canes hire Gleason as new Assistant/Defense coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I never wore a cage or shield since the day I turned 18. But beer league aint the NHL
I took my cage off on a lark in my 20s after I got into a good routine with a pickup game every week. It was probably 10 or so regulars and some of those dudes didn't wear them so i thought I'd try it out. That night one of those guys was chasing a puck and another player into the corner, their sticks got tangled and somehow he gets stick right to the mouth and blood everywhere. I put the cage back on and haven't gone without one since

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Just saw the news, yeah I'm slow. One of my all time favorite Canes.

The Kulemin incident was a classic. But, the Ovi-puck-cut, return, and the end-to-end mad rush down the left wing with his face falling off to score was the all time best Gleason moment in history, imo.

I hope he can help coach that kind of grit in the team.
Down goes Kulemin

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
All he's gotta do is show the youngins the video of him taking a puck to the face and then scoring the shorthanded goal later on. That there speaks for itself.

He counted 2 12 oz drinks

The year he did those commercials was the year he started to play like a drunk on ice. Was sad to see.

Edit: That may have been the year he came back from a broken foot that took him out of the final month or whatever of the year he played for Team USA. Regardless he never was quite the same.

I guess I forgot, but we got John Michael Liles out of him in 2013.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I can picture Gleason on the first day of training camp, pulling up your video and showing it to the defensemen.

"Any man here who isn't willing to take an Ovechkin shot to the face, get stitched up, and come back into the game needs to leave now and pack up your gear. You're cut."

This video is a great example of why the Washington Capitals were early exits in the playoffs for so many years. Gleason completely caught all of them flat-footed. Gleason was not one who would be nicknamed "Speedy"

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I can picture Gleason on the first day of training camp, pulling up your video and showing it to the defensemen.

"Any man here who isn't willing to take an Ovechkin shot to the face, get stitched up, and come back into the game needs to leave now and pack up your gear. You're cut."

I was there for that one. Solidified his standing as my favorite player. What balls. I would have been like "Uh, that'll be 6 percocets please and I'll be in my quarters for the next 72 hours if you need me"

And wow it blows my mind that he is only 38. Shows you what being as woodpecker lips does to somebody, lol

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I thought our d looked reallly scattered the last three years and I gave Dean the blame for that. I love Timmah and that we hired him but I have zero expectations that he has any ability as a coach to change that. The defense job would probably be best in the hands of someone pretty experienced....but we knew that wasn’t going to happen so if we’re going to just go cheap I’m fine with this being the choice. Only because I know nothing of young, cheap, smart defense coaches out there that were available.

If this happened under JR there would be a lot of criticism I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad