Friedman: Canes could choose to not qualify Nedeljkovic, Foegele

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Serious question - what am I missing here. Capfriendly is showing the Canes with nearly 30 mill in cap space, with only big time RFA Svech.
that's with only 12 players on the roster. it does not include dougie or a replacement, zero goalies, svech's raise, necas's raise next year, to go with several other players to fill out the roster. that 30 million shrinks very quickly.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
that's with only 12 players on the roster. it does not include dougie or a replacement, zero goalies, svech's raise, necas's raise next year, to go with several other players to fill out the roster. that 30 million shrinks very quickly.
Ok but certainly there’s room in that 30 million to pay two of your most important players.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Obviously they're not signing Ned for 5 years but Demko's salary for the next 1-2 seasons can still be used as a comparable in an arb hearing for a 1 or 2 year Nedeljkovic deal.

I expect Carolina will sign Ned but I can see the logic in not qualifying him as well. Due to the flat cap maybe they're confident they can sign a proven starter like Andersen for 2x$3.5M and would prefer going with a cheaper backup to spend the rest of Ned's money on other parts of the roster.

There is no logic in not qualifying him. The process you lay out could leave the Canes with zero goalies signed. There is no guarantee Andersen or another starter will sign a cheap deal.

If the Canes want to go with a UFA then they will 1) QO Ned, 2) Look at options during UFA and sign a starter if one fits, then 3) trade Nedeljkovic to one of the dozen different who would be happy to give a shot on a cheap 2 year deal to a Calder finalist and potential long-term #1 goalie.

The Friedman source doesn't even say that the Canes won't QO either Ned or Foegele. He just says that the Canes aren't excited about their arbitration potential. Friedman himself is trying to connect those dots.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Friedman says he’s not very good with comparables and boy does he mean it. He mentions arbitration and then goes on to mention Demko who signed a 5 year deal. How could that be an arbitration comparable?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Ok but certainly there’s room in that 30 million to pay two of your most important players.
if dougie wants to sign a reasonable deal, sure. but eight years at 8.5m is not reasonable. the hurricanes can't just look at an eight year deal and think it's justified because they can afford it under the cap short term. if hamilton goes the karlsson/subban/doughty/oel route and drops off two years into his deal then what. they are up against the cap with boat anchor contract.

this has nothing to do with dundon not wanting to spend to the cap and everything to do with dougie's value in particular.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There is no logic in not qualifying him. The process you lay out could leave the Canes with zero goalies signed. There is no guarantee Andersen or another starter will sign a cheap deal.

If the Canes want to go with a UFA then they will 1) QO Ned, 2) Look at options during UFA and sign a starter if one fits, then 3) trade Nedeljkovic to one of the dozen different who would be happy to give a shot on a cheap 2 year deal to a Calder finalist and potential long-term #1 goalie.

The Friedman source doesn't even say that the Canes won't QO either Ned or Foegele. He just says that the Canes aren't excited about their arbitration potential. Friedman himself is trying to connect those dots.

I think we all know there's a ton of tampering that goes on at this point in the hockey calendar especially this year with the offseason so compressed. QO deadline is what, the 27th? I'm guessing they will have a good idea of which goalies are willing to sign with them at what price by then and make a decision on Ned at that point. Maybe they're looking to throw a huge offer at Grubauer and can't spend over $3 million on a backup.

I can't remember a single RFA getting traded after electing arbitration but prior to the hearing.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I like Friedman and am pretty sure he got fed this, I just wonder if his BS detector is faulty or he doesn’t care as long as it gets engagement.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think we all know there's a ton of tampering that goes on at this point in the hockey calendar especially this year with the offseason so compressed. QO deadline is what, the 27th? I'm guessing they will have a good idea of which goalies are willing to sign with them at what price by then and make a decision on Ned at that point. Maybe they're looking to throw a huge offer at Grubauer and can't spend over $3 million on a backup.

Personally I would rather have Ned as a starter next year than Grubauer or Andersen if the price was the same. So I'd much, much rather have Ned at $3.5 million x 2 years than Grubauer at $6+ million x 6+ years.

I can't remember a single RFA getting traded after electing arbitration but prior to the hearing.

True, I had to look up if it was even possible which it appears to be. However, players that do go to arbitration often get traded within a year.

I don't think it is controversial to say that Ned has guaranteed, tangible trade value with a 2 year x $3.5 million post-arbitration deal. There are plenty of teams desperate to find #1s and the price is easy to fit in. It may not be a lot of value, but it is still a guaranteed asset they would be lighting on fire by not offering a QO.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Maybe Canes still want to keep Mzarek and want to divide 5m between two goalies

Cant do that if Ned is awarded north of 4m per

In terms of Canes thinking....
Is Ned a bonafide #1?? Does Carolina ideally want to deploy a two goalie system??

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Friedman’s exact words: “…there are rumors the Hurricanes are not crazy about his arbitration award potential.”

Well no shit. Any team is going to worry about potentially having to overpay a player from an arbitrator award, much more so in a flat-cap world. To think they wouldn’t qualify him though, which looks to me like a healthy ASSumption from Friedman, is lunacy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe and Lempo

Punanen

Jun 14, 2016
People totally missed Friedman's point.

Ned is arbitration eligible. If you qualify, you have to sign him at minimum what he will likely get from an arbitrator. A goalie with one good NHL season you likely don't want to give more than a show-me deal, maybe 2 years at 2-2.5 million.

There's a good chance Nedeljkovic can go to an arbitrator, set himself up for 4.5 million plus for a year, and then make his qualifying offer even more ridiculous next year. On a two year deal he's probably looking at 3.5 million per year.

If you give up his arbitration bargaining power by not qualifying him, I believe you have some time to strong arm him into a better deal before he hits UFA and everyone can talk to him. Obviously this is ridiculous risky, but I think that's the logic behind this.
Thank you for applying the sense in this thread

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't see why what Nedeljkovic might get in arbitration would effect them qualifying him, at worst he gets a arbitration award they don't like and they then choose not to accept it and let him be a UFA
I think they have to accept unless its over a certain amount , I cant remember the number but it feels like 3 mill.

If they go goalie hunting they might not want to pay that ? Idk

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Is there a cheaper guy in the league than Dundon? Gonna lose one of his top D and G for that reason alone.

What's the deal with Ned? He was a highly touted prospect on a team that's been starving for a quality starting goalie for years, got waived, then took that starter job and finished third in Calder voting, and is now possibly not even qualified? Something's just not right.

Serious question - what am I missing here. Capfriendly is showing the Canes with nearly 30 mill in cap space, with only big time RFA Svech.

What's not right is taking a sportswriter's speculation as if it's a fact, lol.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
the team has spent close to the cap all three full years under dundon. last season there was a point where they were so close to the cap that they had to ice 17 skaters for one game because they didn't have the cap room to call anyone up.

there seems to be a big misconception that the hurricanes are a "budget team" because of how much dundon is willing to pay coaches, general managers, etc, but the reality is the team has been near the cap ceiling under dundon.

Don't you ruin a good narrative.

He's so cheap his players don't even get pads or socks.

That's how Gardnier hurt his back and poor Hamilton injured his leg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad