Friedman: Canes could choose to not qualify Nedeljkovic, Foegele

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His arbitration award won't be that high. The vast majority of goalies go ELC>Bridge>Long-term, so his comparables won't have enormous AAVs. Worst case scenario he gets Binnington (4.4) money.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Letting a Calder finalist goalie walk for nothing seems entirely too silly to even think about.

It would also be very silly for a 25 year old, undersized goalie finally getting his shot at a starting role to want to go to any other team.

In this case it would be most beneficial for Ned to sign a short deal to get to UFA. It is also most beneficial to the Canes to sign a short deal to keep the cost down and see how Ned holds up. There is a mutually desired conclusion.

Nedeljkovic has been handed a golden goose. I see very little benefit in him quibbling about $2 million or $4 million on a 1-2 year bridge deal to UFA. Take your "prove it" deal, prove it, and get that Vasilevski/Bobrovsky money if you believe in yourself.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
A lot of people seem to think this means he will go to the open market.

I bet Carolina still signs him just after qualifying offers are due. It's not uncommon to go this route

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Please change the title to:

Canes may not qualify Nedeljkovic, Foegele.

I totally read the current title as they were being prevented from doing so.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Friedman is really stepping his game up. He's gone from just looking like a crazy person to sounding like one too. That said I would hope the Rangers make a call on Foegele.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Ned doesn't get qualified the GM should be fired.

Ned passed through waivers unclaimed at the start of the season. He played great for 20 games but I can totally see the logic in not wanting to commit $4M/year on the basis of those games to a goalie who would have been lucky just to get a one-way contract for next season six months ago.

Reactions: newsportsfan123

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ned will be qualified and signed.

Ned’s cap hit may require letting Mrazek walk away if he gets a big number in arbitration, but an arbitration win for Ned will likely be less than Mrazek made last year ($3.125). So a big arbitration number could mean Ned-Reimer as a tandem.

I understand the theory that Foegele could be an expensive commodity as a third line wing. If someone wants to give him a shot in the top 6, $2.5M or so is a bargain.

Dundon and the Borg like to negotiate hard, but I have no doubt Ned will be back.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ned passed through waivers unclaimed at the start of the season. He played great for 20 games but I can totally see the logic in not wanting to commit $4M/year on the basis of those games to a goalie who would have been lucky just to get a one-way contract for next season six months ago.

I am struggling to see why Ned would be awarded $4 million in arbitration. He has 30 career games. As already noted though, the Canes can go through that process and walk away from any award over $3.5 million.

It seems to me that goalies in Ned's position usually get about $2-2.5 million on a 2 year bridge.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Is there a cheaper guy in the league than Dundon? Gonna lose one of his top D and G for that reason alone.
as stated previously in the thread, the canes have been up against the cap the last three seasons and are going to be for the foerseeable future. dundon has a philosophy of not overpaying for individual players/employees, but is willing to spend to the cap. we could afford to give dougie what he's asking for (reportedly $8.5m x 8) under the cap but how does that impact the rest of the roster and the cap space going forward? if you can't pay fairly pay necas the next year because you overpaid dougie the year before, does that make sense?

with the flat cap for the next few years, the canes don't have a lot of wiggle room to be overpaying players. svech and necas have been under $1m for their career so far. that's not going to continue going forward.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Letting a Calder finalist goalie walk for nothing seems entirely too silly to even think about.
They have made us wait for the off-season all the way to July!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I am struggling to see why Ned would be awarded $4 million in arbitration. He has 30 career games. As already noted though, the Canes can go through that process and walk away from any award over $3.5 million.

It seems to me that goalies in Ned's position usually get about $2-2.5 million on a 2 year bridge.

As Friedman mentions in the article the insane and unprecedented Demko contract is likely influencing the Canes thinking on this. Demko had played more NHL games than Ned when he signed but not that many more and Ned's numbers are better. They're probably worried he gets close to but slightly under that $3.5M limit in arbitration based on Demko's salary for the next two seasons.

Reactions: Anton Babchuk

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What's the deal with Ned? He was a highly touted prospect on a team that's been starving for a quality starting goalie for years, got waived, then took that starter job and finished third in Calder voting, and is now possibly not even qualified? Something's just not right.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
People totally missed Friedman's point.

Ned is arbitration eligible. If you qualify, you have to sign him at minimum what he will likely get from an arbitrator. A goalie with one good NHL season you likely don't want to give more than a show-me deal, maybe 2 years at 2-2.5 million.

There's a good chance Nedeljkovic can go to an arbitrator, set himself up for 4.5 million plus for a year, and then make his qualifying offer even more ridiculous next year. On a two year deal he's probably looking at 3.5 million per year.

If you give up his arbitration bargaining power by not qualifying him, I believe you have some time to strong arm him into a better deal before he hits UFA and everyone can talk to him. Obviously this is ridiculous risky, but I think that's the logic behind this.

Reactions: Punanen

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Canes will sign Nedeljkovic to a new contract.

Dundon has full ownership of the Canes and shouldn’t be an issue to resign Nedeljkovic as Dundon is a billionaire.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
As Friedman mentions in the article the insane and unprecedented Demko contract is likely influencing the Canes thinking on this. Demko had played more NHL games than Ned when he signed but not that many more and Ned's numbers are better. They're probably worried he gets close to but slightly under that $3.5M limit in arbitration based on Demko's salary for the next two seasons.

IMO Demko's 5 year deal has little or nothing to do with Nedeljkovic's upcoming 2 year bridge deal.

$3.5 million x 2 years is still fine anyway. The Canes nearly paid James Reimer that last year. They will not find another capable starter for less than that and everybody knows that. I think Friedman is just doing a favor to Ned's agent to get a deal pushed through.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Title is confusing. Carolina is capable of qualifying both but based on this rumor MIGHT not qualify them.
They would get deals worth more than their QO due to arbitration rights.
But does not make sense to not QO Ned. At worst Carolina does a 1 year deal. Even a $3 mill award is something they should be able to absorb.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
They would get deals worth more than their QO due to arbitration rights.
But does not make sense to not QO Ned. At worst Carolina does a 1 year deal. Even a $3 mill award is something they should be able to absorb.

The Canes are a cap ceiling team with $30 million in cap space and no goalies signed. I think they may be able to absorb it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
IMO Demko's 5 year deal has little or nothing to do with Nedeljkovic's upcoming 2 year bridge deal.

$3.5 million x 2 years is still fine anyway. The Canes nearly paid James Reimer that last year. They will not find another capable starter for less than that and everybody knows that. I think Friedman is just doing a favor to Ned's agent to get a deal pushed through.

Obviously they're not signing Ned for 5 years but Demko's salary for the next 1-2 seasons can still be used as a comparable in an arb hearing for a 1 or 2 year Nedeljkovic deal.

I expect Carolina will sign Ned but I can see the logic in not qualifying him as well. Due to the flat cap maybe they're confident they can sign a proven starter like Andersen for 2x$3.5M and would prefer going with a cheaper backup to spend the rest of Ned's money on other parts of the roster. I have a lot of respect for Carolina's front office so if they do indeed non-tender him there are probably good reasons for it.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
as stated previously in the thread, the canes have been up against the cap the last three seasons and are going to be for the foerseeable future. dundon has a philosophy of not overpaying for individual players/employees, but is willing to spend to the cap. we could afford to give dougie what he's asking for (reportedly $8.5m x 8) under the cap but how does that impact the rest of the roster and the cap space going forward? if you can't pay fairly pay necas the next year because you overpaid dougie the year before, does that make sense?

with the flat cap for the next few years, the canes don't have a lot of wiggle room to be overpaying players. svech and necas have been under $1m for their career so far. that's not going to continue going forward.
Serious question - what am I missing here. Capfriendly is showing the Canes with nearly 30 mill in cap space, with only big time RFA Svech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad