Friedman: Canes could choose to not qualify Nedeljkovic, Foegele

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
14. Goaltending situation to watch: will Carolina qualify Alex Nedeljkovic? It seems crazy to ask, but there are rumours the Hurricanes are not crazy about his arbitration award potential. I’m not always good with comparables, but Vancouver’s extension with Thatcher Demko put his last two non-UFA seasons at $2.5 million and $4.5 million (including a $1-million signing bonus). Same situation Carolina’s going through with Warren Foegele. There’s been a lot of interest with him.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
This seems absolutely wild, either Friedman is off his rocker or Carolinas management is.

Get Ned signed ASAP or trade his rights. Don't just ... not qualify him, he's a real asset.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This seems absolutely wild, either Friedman is off his rocker or Carolinas management is.

Get Ned signed ASAP or trade his rights. Don't just ... not qualify him, he's a real asset.

It depends on the AAV. He wouldn't get Binnington money ($4.4 mil x 2, with $4.55 mil coming in the 1st year, at the same age) in an arb hearing for an obvious reason, but it might not be too far off. $4 mil-ish for a player that looked like an NHL goalie for 32 total games last season could make the entire league wince.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Friedman himself says Foegele is getting a lot of interest so that’s likely going to be a trade. I can’t see them letting Ned go unless they’ve got someone big coming in trade.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Considering how cheap the hurricans are, even though it would surprise me, it wouldn't be a shock...

Reactions: Laus723

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Considering how cheap the hurricans are, even though it would surprise me, it wouldn't be a shock...
the team has spent close to the cap all three full years under dundon. last season there was a point where they were so close to the cap that they had to ice 17 skaters for one game because they didn't have the cap room to call anyone up.

there seems to be a big misconception that the hurricanes are a "budget team" because of how much dundon is willing to pay coaches, general managers, etc, but the reality is the team has been near the cap ceiling under dundon.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be real tempted to go after both, although Ned has only has 38 career games but damn he looks like a good one, at the same time I remember Cam Ward winning and a playoff MVP and then going on to become Cam Ward, I remember Brian Boucher in the playoffs for Philadelphia, I remember Andrew Raycroft winning rookie of the year,, we have seen runs before

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't see why what Nedeljkovic might get in arbitration would effect them qualifying him, at worst he gets a arbitration award they don't like and they then choose not to accept it and let him be a UFA

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't see why what Nedeljkovic might get in arbitration would effect them qualifying him, at worst he gets a arbitration award they don't like and they then choose not to accept it and let him be a UFA
That's not how it works. Salary Arbitration is, among other things, a way for a player to pretty much ensure that he will have a timely signed SPC. The Club has the walk-away right only from awards that would have the salary at $3.5M AAV or higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad