Friedman: Canes could choose to not qualify Nedeljkovic, Foegele

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't think Dundon being cheap is speculation at this point but whatever.

Dundon has said on multiple occasions that he's committed to winning and will spend on players in order to maximize the chances of that happening. And that's exactly what he's done.

Dundon does not conform to NHL old school concepts in a lot of other areas. On that front some will label him as cheap while others might see him implementing a new and different business model. That's just a difference of opinion, and on that front, sure, whatever. But this thread is about players, and to conflate Dundon's approach to off ice issues with his willingness to invest in players is misguided. Canes are spending to the cap, and will almost certainly continue to do so. Hopefully they'll do so in a way that doesn't compromise success down the road (we could name a couple examples but no need to open that Pandora's box, lol).

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I like Friedman and am pretty sure he got fed this, I just wonder if his BS detector is faulty or he doesn’t care as long as it gets engagement.

It feels like Friedman has been pretty off lately. He's been imparting his opinion when he is providing insider information which really makes what is actually happening murky.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There are instances in which a player isn’t qualified and then the team and player still sign a deal before they become a UFA. It just adjusts the leverage, and makes negotiations more time sensitive. Rather than the player having a set salary floor and forever in the world to negotiate, the team has a finite window to get a deal done but no more salary floor.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There are instances in which a player isn’t qualified and then the team and player still sign a deal before they become a UFA. It just adjusts the leverage, and makes negotiations more time sensitive. Rather than the player having a set salary floor and forever in the world to negotiate, the team has a finite window to get a deal done but no more salary floor.

it’s not about a salary floor…but the uncertainty of arbitration.

they don’t QO someone they can talk to them and sign a contract, or they could say here is what I offer…go test the market….there is no certainty this amount will be there when you come back.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
word of Gibson potentially being out there, I wonder if that has influenced the possibility of the Ned not qualified situation.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I would be surprised if the canes go after Gibson. That would be pretty opposite to how they've prioritized goalies so far, and with nedelkjovic seemingly ready to go without spending assets I doubt they try bringing in a bigger fish. The thought of Gibson behind a team defense like the canes can play is definitely intriguing though

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Is there a cheaper guy in the league than Dundon? Gonna lose one of his top D and G for that reason alone.

This isn’t Tampa, so we have a salary cap to abide by. We have Svech coming up with Necas close behind. Everyone is going to want to get paid, but there’s only so much to go around. I love me some Dougie Hamilton, but he’s (IMO) our 2nd best d-man… maybe 3rd with Pesce really stepping it up. We simply cannot pay Hamilton $8 million/yr.

$6… yes. But he’ll get more elsewhere.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I posted this on the Canes board, but Foegele is one of the better ES/SH scorers on Carolina, particularly if you remove EN goals.

NST doesn't distinguish what strength an EN goal is scored, but it's likely 5v5, 4v4 or on the PK. So for this exercise, I'm going to take 5v5 goals + SH goals - EN goals. I am ignoring 4v4 and 3v3 and PP as that's not where Foegele plays (he has 0 PP goals and 1 ES non-5v5 goal).

So, taking 5v5 + SH goals and subtracting EN goals, you get the following:

Aho: 43 in 206 games = 0.21 Goals/Game
Foegele: 31 in 198 games = 0.16 Goals/Game
Nino: 28 in 171 games = 0.18 Goals/Game
Svech: 23 in 205 games = 0.11 Goals / Game
TT: 22 in 171 games = 0.13 Goals / Game
Staal: 21 in 171 games = 0.12 Goals / Game
McGinn: 19 in 187 games = 0.11 Goals / Game
Necas: 17 in 124 games = 0.14 goals / game

So Foegele is 2nd in total goals here and 3rd in Goals / game. If I remove SH goals (since guys like Svech and Nino don't PK) it only takes away 4 goals from Foegele and still has him 3rd OA in goals and goals/game behind Aho and Nino.

Reactions: Tryamw and Mrfenn92

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This isn’t Tampa, so we have a salary cap to abide by. We have Svech coming up with Necas close behind. Everyone is going to want to get paid, but there’s only so much to go around. I love me some Dougie Hamilton, but he’s (IMO) our 2nd best d-man… maybe 3rd with Pesce really stepping it up. We simply cannot pay Hamilton $8 million/yr.

$6… yes. But he’ll get more elsewhere.

I expect Hamilton to stay...around the 7x7.5M or 8x7M marker.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If they don't qualify Ned he's going to get A LOT of interest

And if the Canes qualify him and decide to trade him they would get A LOT of interest. Which is why they will certainly qualify him and Friedman's speculation is dumb.

Foegele's situation isn't as clear but he should also have value around the league.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And if the Canes qualify him and decide to trade him they would get A LOT of interest. Which is why they will certainly qualify him and Friedman's speculation is dumb.

Foegele's situation isn't as clear but he should also have value around the league.

But even trading him seems dumb unless they think his run was exactly that, a hot run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad