Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Marginal nhl players can be obtained for a 6th rounder. If necessary, throw in a career ahler under the age of 28 to sweeten the pot.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Scott Darling had one of the worst modern save % I've seen. Wouldn't be shocked if he's the one on waivers

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
I do not like this! I’m happy to give Sparks a shot and I’m not gonna lose my mind over this but I just didn’t think Sparks was enough of an asset to justify losing Mac. Here’s hoping Dubas and co. know what we have in Sparks because Andersen and Mac was a very solid pair.
I do not like this at all!!!

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Scott Darling had one of the worst modern save % I've seen. Wouldn't be shocked if he's the one on waivers

If that was ever an option it would have happened already. They weren’t going to buy him out after one season when he came in completely unprepared. He lost a lot of weight this summer and took his training seriously. Whether or not he improves remains to be seen but he’s going to get another chance.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Good pick up. How many other teams get to say they got their best goalie from the waiver wire?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Really surprised they kept Sparks after that preseason performance. The backup position was obviously decided before camp... Which sucks for the other 2, who ironically performed better at the NHL level.

Sucks to lose that depth to waivers; hopefully for the Leafs Andersen stays healthy and Sparks performs like he did in the AHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would not be surprised if that happens and if both are eventually put back on waivers, isn't there some rule which says the Leafs have the first chance to claim either one?

No, there is no such rule. Waiver priority is based on standings and there is no priority to a team that waived a player previously. The only advantage Toronto has is that if one of them is waived again, and Toronto claims them, they can send them down to the minors without waiving them again provided nobody else put in a claim also (ie...someone with a better record). I think the chances of that are slim so if they go on waivers and Toronto claims one of them, chances are they will be the only claim and can send them down.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Put him on waivers with 3 more years left at 4 million per? Dont see it, McBackup and Pickard are likely to be re waived.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, there is no such rule. Waiver priority is based on standings and there is no priority to a team that waived a player previously. The only advantage Toronto has is that if one of them is waived again, and Toronto claims them, they can send them down to the minors without waiving them again provided nobody else put in a claim also (ie...someone with a better record). I think the chances of that are slim so if they go on waivers and Toronto claims one of them, chances are they will be the only claim and can send them down.
Maybe that was the rule I must have been thinking of.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hope McBackup becomes McStarter in Carolina. Dude is awesome. Given Darling is crap, and Mrazek is a question mark, McBackup is certainly in the mix to be the one not on waivers when Darling comes back in a few weeks.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I dont understand the leafs fans obsession over mcbackup. We got him for free... he did well in a short time span... thats it. He's the Ryan Fitzpatrick of hockey. He's not going to Carolina to be a starter, he's going to be mcbackup

Reactions: Mork

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Poor asset management on the part of the Leafs. Seems like there was interest in both goalies they waived. Should have traded them for picks instead of losing for nothing!

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Put him on waivers with 3 more years left at 4 million per? Dont see it, McBackup and Pickard are likely to be re waived.
That's a rough contract but McElhinney's save percent was like 40 points higher than Darling's. If McElhinney plays well, waiving him would be a really tough decision.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I hope McBackup becomes McStarter in Carolina. Dude is awesome. Given Darling is crap, and Mrazek is a question mark, McBackup is certainly in the mix to be the one not on waivers when Darling comes back in a few weeks.

That would be quite a surprise, since he's only played more than 30 NHL games (played 32) once in his entire career.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I think I feel sick. Bad move. I mean, great move by the Canes, terrible move by Dubas.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
The problem with that is it means an extra roster spot would have been taken up by one of them, so it couldn't have gone to a different forward or defenseman.

Yea, carrying the deadweight which is Maricin is worth loosing insurance in net... Isn't Marincin #8 D? And do you think he would had been claimed?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Please play McBackup for the first game against Toronto in Toronto, so he can get the warm reception from Leafs fans that he deserves.

Guy did everything he was asked to do, great attitude and teammate, and when you hear his hockey journey story, you can’t help but cheer him on.

Wishing him only the best....

Reactions: SvechNecas

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
From the Pickard thread;

All this doom and gloom talk about "What if Andersen gets hurt...playoffs could be in jeopardy" is non-sense and not a Leafs-specific problem. 90% of the teams in the league will seriously impacted if their starter goes down for an extended period of time.

Not to mention, while I'm a big fan of Mac and Pickard, the guy they kept to play 20 games just won the Calder and AHL Vezina.

It's fine. The sun will rise tomorrow.​

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad