Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Ironically, Spark's career would have been better served playing behind a team with better defense like Carolina, then one who gives up a ton of high quality chances each night.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dang.

Hope he plays well for the Canes. He's been a good role-player for the Leafs and a great teammate. I'm pretty sad to see him go.

Hope Sparks is up to the task because there ain't any safety net anymore lol

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Sad to see him go, hope he steals the starter job for a year and carries them to a playoff series vs the Leafs. He would get a great reception!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Good luck to McElhinney! He was amazing in the two years he was with us. I am happy the Leafs chose Sparks over McElhinney but it's tough to ignore how well he played for the Leafs nearly every time he was counted upon.

His save on Crosby to secure the Leafs a playoff spot will always be a fond memory.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Knew he was going to Carolina after Darling got hurt.

It's actually a pretty nice opportunity for McBackup. Outplay Mrazek to start the season and he might end up as the #1 for some time.

Reactions: SvechNecas

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not surprising with Darling out.
tumblr_mt6nfwk1sH1siso9jo7_250.gif

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
The Leafs had 3 goalies playing in the AHL last season.

Kasimir Kaskisuo was loaned to Chicago and had great numbers. I assume he'll be the Marlies starter. Justin Peters was in Marlies camp on a PTO. I assume he'll be signed as the Marlies backup unless something else comes up.

Regardless, not the end of the world.

nobody said it's the end of the world

and people should sometimes understand that a comment that might be seen negatively is not necessarily a jab at your organization, i have no quarrels with the leafs

it was an interesting moment where 2 backups got claimed and that's it

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I'm actually surprised that the Leafs didn't carry 3 goalies...If Andersen or Sparks go down, who is gonna be their backup? Scott Foster?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
The Leafs had 3 goalies playing in the AHL last season.

Kasimir Kaskisuo was loaned to Chicago and had great numbers. I assume he'll be the Marlies starter. Justin Peters was in Marlies camp on a PTO. I assume he'll be signed as the Marlies backup unless something else comes up.

Regardless, not the end of the world.
If Andersen gets hurt, which of those 2 would you have be the back up?

Or would you make a trade?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm actually surprised that the Leafs didn't carry 3 goalies...If Andersen or Sparks go down, who is gonna be their backup? Scott Foster?
The problem with that is it means an extra roster spot would have been taken up by one of them, so it couldn't have gone to a different forward or defenseman.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Maybe Sparks stinks and Carolina carries 3 goalies hoping for a late pick instead of waiving him.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If Sparks struggles bet we see Lehtonen get a contract. Which isn't a bad option. Also still have Mason out there as well that could be suited for a backup role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->