GDT: Canes At Nashville 8PM EST

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Martinook centering the 2nd line is absolute lunacy. Then saddling Svech with Fast too?

Playing Necas with Foegele as his partner is just as bad.

WTF is Daniels and Rod doing honestly? Avoiding anything that makes any sense?

We have the taxi squad, I mean some dudes are healthy.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The lines make sense when you consider who performed and didn't perform last game. It says a lot that the defensive pairings have stayed so stable; all three have been strong in both games. The biggest issue last game was the defensive play from our 3rd line, in particular the fact that Geekie was pummeled to death in his own end. I know that it's difficult to replace Staal's 200-feet acumen from the center position, but Geekie was clearly in over his head playing Staal's role. Switching Martinook and Geekie and sheltering Geekie's minutes on the defensive side is probably the right move. Moving Svech to the 3rd line is questionable at first, however, at least when it comes to putting Foegele and Geekie in the best places to succeed, I.E. away from each other, I get the line shifts. I expect Svech to move back up to the 2nd line once Staal returns, a center that Foegele does play well with.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Threats on all 4 lines.
My biggest problem with this approach is that we’ve apparently chosen to replace this (numbers are hypothetical points of the lines)

100/10/10/10

with this:

50/20/20/20

The staff appears to adamantly reject the idea that the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. It seems to me that the SAT line is sacrificed to only modestly improve the other lines.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The biggest issue last game was the fact that Geekie was pummeled to death in his own end, shown by the fact that almost every line and defensive pairing performed well in the analytics from last game EXCEPT the line with Foegele and Geekie. I know that it's difficult to replace Staal's 200-feet acumen from the center position, but Geekie was clearly in over his head playing Staal's role. Switching Martinook and Geekie and sheltering Geekie's minutes on the defensive side is probably the right move. Moving Svech to the 3rd line is questionable at first, however, at least when it comes to putting Foegele and Geekie in the best places to succeed, I.E. away from each other, I get the line shifts. I expect Svech to move back up to the 2nd line once Staal returns, a center that Foegele does play well with.

This, which may have been Rod's logic, reads like a Dan Brown novel.

Each individual step makes sense as you go through it. Then you get to the end, read what you came up with, and ask yourself "How the **** did I end up here? This is absolute insanity!"

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I don't like Niño on the first line. I see that he's trying hard but his hockey computer is so much slower than TT and Aho's that he drags that line down. Line combinations should be greater than the sum of its parts, not worse. Just try Svech in there already. If the other lines don't work with that decision you can always take it back.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Geekie should only be the fourth line center at this point is a fair argument, but it was one game. He could easily have a rebound game tonight. The problem appears to be Trocheck as Martinook as the third line center isnt as bad as him being the second line guy obviously. Until Trocheck starts producing our center ice is pretty weak. Too early to really judge anything, but as someone else mentioned somewhere Bishop would've been nice right now. Splitting the third and fourth lines between he and Geekie would've probably worked until things settle in.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I don't like Niño on the first line. I see that he's trying hard but his hockey computer is so much slower than TT and Aho's that he drags that line down. Line combinations should be greater than the sum of its parts, not worse. Just try Svech in there already. If the other lines don't work with that decision you can always take it back.

I think eventually we will get there, on Nino I get what you intend but I am not ready to say that I don't like him on the first line, I liked his start of the season and until I feel like you that he's trying hard and working hard I am good with him.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No one is going to keep up with their computers. Svech can do more damage elsewhere if they can find the right combo. They need someone who can play bigger than them to draw attention and occasionally finish half empty nets they set said guy up for. That's a waste of Svech imo. He can drive play without them, and they should be able to do the same.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Svechnikov-Martinook-Fast
Svech back on a line with Marty after spending most of last season with the cherubs:

tenor.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Geekie should only be the fourth line center at this point is a fair argument, but it was one game. He could easily have a rebound game tonight. The problem appears to be Trocheck as Martinook as the third line center isnt as bad as the he second line guy obviously. Until Trocheck starts producing our center ice is pretty weak. Too early to really judge anything, but as someone else mentioned somewhere Bishop would've been nice right now. Splitting the third and fourth lines between he and Geekie would've probably worked until things settle in.
He has gotten the toughest draws this season and had about 7 minutes with a scoring winger. I don’t know what we expect him to do. He had Nino and Necas at season’s end last season but both really struggled. Foegele wasn’t much of a replacement for Nino either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He has gotten the toughest draws this season and had about 7 minutes with a scoring winger. I don’t know what we expect him to do. He had Nino and Necas at season’s end last season but both really struggled. Foegele wasn’t much of a replacement for Nino either.
I'm having trouble thinking of plays where Foegele, Mcginn, or Martinook have carried the puck or done something positive with it. Big night for those three, and hopefully a rebound for Geekie.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We need Nino to be better, and the best way to get him some confidence back is to use him with the cherubs. He’s looked pretty good. There’s no
purpose to breaking up that line with the rest of the team being scrambled. They didn’t suck last game because of Nino, the two guys that drive the line weren’t good enough. If we need Svech to go there to wake up the other two then we’re actually in bad shape.

It was a bad game. TT and Aho will rebound. Nino will likely be fine there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad