GDT: Canes At Nashville 8PM EST

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
A plea: Can we not overreact to last game? Yeah, it was a stinker. But it was also a preseason game that happened to count. Players are still getting into their rhythms and tuning up into game shape. Scrimmages and practices cannot replace actually playing real hockey, and despite two horrid periods, they put a lot of things together in the 3rd. Normally, they can do that in the preseason, but this year they can't. I'm sure every player is pissed at themselves right now and will come out tonight ready to go.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
We need Nino to be better, and the best way to get him some confidence back is to use him with the cherubs. He’s looked pretty good. There’s no
purpose to breaking up that line with the rest of the team being scrambled. They didn’t suck last game because of Nino, the two guys that drive the line weren’t good enough. If we need Svech to go there to wake up the other two then we’re actually in bad shape.

It was a bad game. TT and Aho will rebound. Nino will likely be fine there.

Yeah I agree. I thought Nino was great the first 2 games so far.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
A plea: Can we not overreact to last game? Yeah, it was a stinker. But it was also a preseason game that happened to count. Players are still getting into their rhythms and tuning up into game shape. Scrimmages and practices cannot replace actually playing real hockey, and despite two horrid periods, they put a lot of things together in the 3rd. Normally, they can do that in the preseason, but this year they can't. I'm sure every player is pissed at themselves right now and will come out tonight ready to go.
thank you

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I am not overreacting to the results. What makes me thus far mildly annoyed is how we played.

We could have gone 0-2 and you would have me feeling better about the team if we didn't play like jank IN THE GAME WE ACTUALLY WON.

The season is short. Less room for error. Less time to improve.

THAT BEING SAID. LET'S NOT DO A TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s pretty fair. We didn’t look particularly good in either game I thought, despite the statistical dominance that came out of the first one.

It’s early but like MV is saying we don’t have time this season to wake up late.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am not overreacting to the results. What makes me thus far mildly annoyed is how we played.

It’s early but like MV is saying we don’t have time this season to wake up late.

Yes, we played badly. So did the Wings. Because it is completely unfair to expect the team to be in anything resembling midseason form with no preseason to shake out the bugs. Would it be great if we could? Sure, but that's not going to happen, so cool the F off.

Reactions: jstaal

OakCityWildcat

Aug 3, 2020
Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.
Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-Fast
Foegele-Trocheck-Necas
Dzingel-Geekie-McGinn
Defensemen
Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Fleury
Goalies
Reimer
Mrazek
COVID-19 protocol list: Staal
Taxi squad: Bean, Lorentz, McCormick, Nedeljkovic, Ryan

I'll be the first to admit, I've been wrong about a lot in my life as a hockey fan... but I'm confident in saying Martinook does not belong on the second line centering Svechnikov and Fast. If we are throwing crap against a wall hoping it will stick, swap Martinook and Geekie.

Really surprised Fleury isn't scratched; however, it's good to see he's earned a bit of leeway with the coaching staff. Conversely, I'm disappointed Foegele wasn't scratched or demoted. The team hasn't looked all that great to begin with, but Foegele seems to be on a whole different level of suckage.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yes, we played badly. So did the Wings. Because it is completely unfair to expect the team to be in anything resembling midseason form with no preseason to shake out the bugs. Would it be great if we could? Sure, but that's not going to happen, so cool the F off.
Lol who’s upset? Are you talking to me? I’m not upset about any of it. We were just talking about the lines before.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit, I've been wrong about a lot in my life as a hockey fan... but I'm confident in saying Martinook does not belong on the second line centering Svechnikov and Fast. If we are throwing crap against a wall hoping it will stick, swap Martinook and Geekie.

Really surprised Fleury isn't scratched; however, it's good to see he's earned a bit of leeway with the coaching staff. Conversely, I'm disappointed Foegele wasn't scratched or demoted. The team hasn't looked all that great to begin with, but Foegele seems to be on a whole different level of suckage.
I thought Fleury played really well. The first goal was all Jake, and on the game winner Fleury had blocked a shot and was hurt. I’m sure he would’ve loved to lift the guys stick but he was spent. It happens. We shouldn’t have been in that spot to begin with.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I thought Fleury played really well. The first goal was all Jake, and on the game winner Fleury had blocked a shot and was hurt. I’m sure he would’ve loved to lift the guys stick but he was spent. It happens. We shouldn’t have been in that spot to begin with.

I’d say the first goal is more on Foegle sitting there flat footed as the puck came to him and getting pickpocketed from behind.

And in general while Svetch with Martinook is not ideal in the long term, he did almost immediately score a goal after being put on a line with him in the 3rd.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I really don't think anyone is overreacting. It's just modern sports fandom. I don't think it's an overreaction until people starting making "I'm a snowflake who's too good for this shit therefore I'm burning my jersey and posting it on social media" and the like. The Penguins forum for example loses their shit 10x more than we do after every loss, and those guys are literally spoiled beyond belief in the last 30 years.

Our reactions were mostly typical Canes fans reactions to the team playing bad hockey. Thankfully the bad hockey has happened less and less over the years but it still gives some long time fans PTSD when it happens.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Fleury and Martinook are being put in positions they have no business being in. Fleury would be an above average #5 on the left side but he’s kind of a mess on the right. Martinook is a great 4th line wing who can play 3rd line if you need him. As a center he isn’t even NHL caliber and now he’s supposed to play a top 9 center role? They have 3 guys who are best suited to be 4th line left wings in the lineup and none of them are playing 4th line left wing, Dzingle is.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I’d say the first goal is more on Foegle sitting there flat footed as the puck came to him and getting pickpocketed from behind.

And in general while Svetch with Martinook is not ideal in the long term, he did almost immediately score a goal after being put on a line with him in the 3rd.

I disagree, Warren has not been good but there is no way you are thinking you are getting a weak pass from behind the net when you should be heading out of the zone. A pass with pace as Tripp always says and that doesn't happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->