Pre-Game Talk: Canes at Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

Sorry, I forgot about Campbell, who's been invisible since like December.

It might look like he's not trying, but if you look at his #'s by month, Campbell's #'s have been pretty consistent throughout.

Campbell is who he is. It's not surprising that he's soft. As bad as our defense is, it would be way worse without him. He's our #1 defenseman (sadly).

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers goalie coach Robb Tallas said Luongo injury nothing serious, pure precaution. Should play Saturday v #Canadien

Breathe easy

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
if anyone thinks Gudbranson is better than Gilbert they know nothing about hockey.

Gilbert gets alot of flack here, alot of it anwarranted. he's soft and slow, but very good positionally, moves the puck well and eats up alot of minutes.

he's only a -5 playing 22 minutes a night on a team with an awful goal differential.

Actually there's a reason that one was signed on a PTO and might not be in the league next year while the other will be playing top 4 NHL minutes. One of them also gets a lot of help from his D partner.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
never said he should be a top d man. i said i'd like him to NOT BE A DISASTER. how do you get that i want him to be a top defensman from that?

He's not a disaster, he's a solid stay at home d-man, who is young and developing. He makes some dumb plays at times, but most young players do. It's his first game back from injury, he's getting back to game speed and it's not like he's playing with a team like Chicago that can cover for his mistakes.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He's not a disaster, he's a solid stay at home d-man, who is young and developing. He makes some dumb plays at times, but most young players do. It's his first game back from injury, he's getting back to game speed and it's not like he's playing with a team like Chicago that can cover for his mistakes.

I concur.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Actually there's a reason that one was signed on a PTO and might not be in the league next year while the other will be playing top 4 NHL minutes. One of them also gets a lot of help from his D partner.

I guarantee you Tom Gilbert will be a top-4 dman next year before Gudbranson will.

Brad Boyes also got a PTO and Krys Barch didn't. Do you think Barch is better than Boyes too?

:shakehead:help:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

your definition of "solid" must be different than mine.

watch his positioning, his coverage, his gap control. none of it is good, not even close to being good.

the only thing he brings a "solid stay at home d man" should is physical play.

every other facet of the game, he's abysmal. keep making excuses for him though, like his eye injuries and d-partners :laugh:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I guarantee you Tom Gilbert will be a top-4 dman next year before Gudbranson will.

Brad Boyes also got a PTO and Krys Barch didn't. Do you think Barch is better than Boyes too?

:shakehead:help:

Well there is really no chance for you to win that guarantee because like it or not Guds will be at least our #4 right away next year. Gilbert will struggle to find a team...again.

Oh and if you want to try and twist the logic then go for it.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
your definition of "solid" must be different than mine.

watch his positioning, his coverage, his gap control. none of it is good, not even close to being good.

the only thing he brings a "solid stay at home d man" should is physical play.

every other facet of the game, he's abysmal. keep making excuses for him though, like his eye injuries and d-partners :laugh:

Answer me this, when he was wearing the cage, was he as physical as normal?

He made one bad pinch today, so his coverage, gap control, and positioning are "abysmal". He's a -1 today, so he's been fine aside from the goal. If he's the 2nd worst player on our team, then our team should play better with him out, no? Was our defense any better while he was hurt?

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Guys our team sucks and it's painful to watch.

All we have is each other to commiserate.

The old man says be kind.
Exactly why I think it's not worth getting worked up about. If tallon goes out and brings in veterans on both offense and defense capable of producing this off season, I'll be interested in seeing how our struggling players like hubey and gudbranson do. Playing smart hockey is a mentality as much as it is anything else. I don't doubt each and every one of those players suit up each night fully expecting to lose handily regardless of what they say publicly. That doesn't help becoming a good hockey player.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Campbell (when he wants) is a pretty good dman but we do a great disservice to him and the team playing him so many minutes and against the best lines of opposing teams. He would be much more effective playing lesser minutes and on a 2nd pairing and we would see a better faster Campbell in those shifts he gets. He looks run down out there with no creativity in his game any longer and its clear his offseason has started now and he has dialed it down a few notches.

Guds problem is games. He needs to play 300-400 games to get his play straight. Just like Jovo and Pronger and other guys who were tall, slow, came in the league 18-19, they struggled in the beginning. I would like to see him get way better with the skating but other than that he needs more games played to work out his problems that all can be corrected. He's a player that should have been in the minors smoothing himself out there but he was rushed so this is what you get. He's learning on the job against the best and its not going to be pretty sometimes.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
d9KaSTX.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad