Confirmed with Link: Canes acquire Max Domi (75% ret), Tyler Inamoto (FLA) for Aidan Hreschuk, Yegor Korshkov

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No. TDA is an RFA. Also, even though Domi is a UFA, he's IMO an actual candidate to re-sign because he's the kind of player that may want to prove his worth with an elite team and then regally cash in on his next contract as "the gritty scorer that knows how to win". He has the talent to do so.

Duh, I stand corrected, fair enough. Agreed on Domi, though unless he's willing to take a deep discount I don't think we sign him unless he pulls a Nino and fits in immediately as a top 6 forward. He may be willing to take that discount though - I don't know.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Could be. Both of them are UFAs though. I think whether or not Domi breaks his way into the offseason Nino/Trocheck conversation depends entirely on how good he is with us, but it does add a potential option. 27 yrs deserves a different conversation for a 3 or 4 year UFA contract than a 29 or 30 year old (again, assuming he fits like a glove with this team which is far from a given).
Domi seems like a prime candidate for a lower value 2 or 3 year bridge that allows him to prove himself again on a contending team after the way things went his last couple stops, and I see no reason why he would want to sign anywhere but here if things work out in the stretch run.

And, yeah... maybe that entices TDA to stay, but he could be a bit expensive. It really just depends on what he could get on the open market, because he probably stands to make a lot, even with his past history.

Right, so TDA is a RFA, so maybe if we can get Domi in the fold longer term, it enticed TDA to stick around for a few years at something we can afford as well.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Duh, I stand corrected, fair enough. Agreed on Domi, though unless he's willing to take a deep discount I don't think we sign him unless he pulls a Nino and fits in immediately as a top 6 forward. He may be willing to take that discount though - I don't know.

I don't think a "royal" discount. Maybe a 2x4.3?

Reactions: cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't think a "royal" discount. Maybe a 2x4.3?

Yeah I'd need to sit down with the numbers. A lot of it comes down to what we do with Necas. I don't foresee a huge range of outcomes with TDA - he'll sign for what he signs for. The real decision point is Necas. The 3 main options, to me at least, are 1) long-term deal 2) bridge 3) trade. What we do there essentially cascade down to how many of Trocheck/Nino/Domi we resign. If Domi is the cheapest of those 3... you never know, maybe that makes him the most desirable signing at the end of the day (again, depending on how he actually plays).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah I'd need to sit down with the numbers. A lot of it comes down to what we do with Necas. I don't foresee a huge range of outcomes with TDA - he'll sign for what he signs for. The real decision point is Necas. The 3 main options, to me at least, are 1) long-term deal 2) bridge 3) trade. What we do there essentially cascade down to how many of Trocheck/Nino/Domi we resign. If Domi is the cheapest of those 3... you never know, maybe that makes him the most desirable signing at the end of the day (again, depending on how he actually plays).

I mean, I don't know what the FO will do, but I know that I would go ahead and ink Necas for the full 8 years. It's the buy-low of all buy-lows right now, considering that he's struggling offensively right when the team is the best that it has ever been. Seriously, though, if Domi fits, re-signing here for a couple of seasons would be the smartest move ever for him. Whatever bad reputation that he has right now with GMs would dissolve the moment that he pots some key playoff goal.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, I don't know what the FO will do, but I know that I would go ahead and ink Necas for the full 8 years. It's the buy-low of all buy-lows right now, considering that he's struggling offensively right when the team is the best that it has ever been. Seriously, though, if Domi fits, re-signing here for a couple of seasons would be the smartest move ever for him. Whatever bad reputation that he has right now with GMs would dissolve the moment that he pots some key playoff goal.
Could you imagine the takes across the hockey community if TDA and Domi go off and just dominate during the playoff run? Oh god, the potential is too good to not have happen.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Could you imagine the takes across the hockey community if TDA and Domi go off and just dominate during the playoff run? Oh god, the potential is too good to not have happen.
What has Domi done to warrant takes?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
"Complement" though.

"Compliment to the forward group" sounds like they bought Domi just to sacrifice him in some brutal ritual to improve top 9's scoring.

(Hmmm... have you actually noticed him on the ice?!)
Lol = "compliment"; Waddell is singing the praises of Domi already without him playing a shift yet?

Complement is probably what he meant (yeah I know, grammar police).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Depends what Necas is willing to sign for an 8 year deal though. He'd be right to demand a good bit higher money if it's 8. Certainly more than Kotkaniemi just got. I'd think he would want a bridge himself.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I mean- I like getting Domi, especially for only having to give up a couple of randos for him...but I'll say the same thing about the trade as I did the Hakkenpaa trade last year when people here were White Knighting for it like Dick Cheney trying to justify the Iraq invasion:

The deal is fine in a vacuum. But we don't exist in a vacuum. We exist in a conference where rivals get Lindholm and Giroux, etc. I hope it's enough.

Hey, at least it's something I guess.

someone always has a bigger dong.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Ya, I don't disagree... it's hard to see this move and think that it's 'good enough' compared to what the other big guns did at the deadline. On the flip side though Giroux picked his spot. Gio picked his spot. Lindholm was a big get for Boston but we don't have space or the need for another top 4 LHD unless you did some major reworking with moving out Skjei or something. I do think we could have gone for an upgrade on Cole though as I really don't want his dumbass mistakes costing us in the playoffs.

It's kind of the same thing with the forward group. We needed a top 6 LW and got one in Domi. He maybe wouldn't have been my first pick but definitely one on the shortlist for me. Other than doing a major reworking and trading out Necas or something like that for something huge I'm not sure what we really could have/should have done more. I like Dadonov but don't think that would work because Vegas wouldn't have been willing to retain.... they paid move the cap space, plus I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be on Domi if at all.

I like Copp from WPG but he went for WAY more and again I don't know how much better than Domi he is.

Namestikov... meh... I like Domi better... same with Motte... same with Cogliano... same with Paul... probably same with Johansson

Lehkonen... he might have been a nice move but went for way more as well and don't know how much the Habs would want to deal with us. Is he that much better than Domi?

Braun would have been a nice pick up but we are overflowing at RD

Giroux and Hagel would have been the difference makers to go for but as mentioned, CG picked Florida and Hagel went for an INSANE return. I can understand not doing that one.

If everything clicks then we've got just as good a chance as any of the top teams. Let's hope that happens.

The only other players I would've wanted would have been Boeser or Garland and that would've taken a lot more cap gymnastics to make work.

I'm surprised Van didn't make more moves tbh.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
To me, Hagel still would've been the best deadline move despite how huge that return package was. That amount of cap control for the entire window of the Aho/Pesce/Skjei/Turbo contracts would've allowed us to add one more significant piece in UFA this offseason.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The forward lines are really deep right now. If I'm RBA I'd consider having no traditional 4th lines. I really liked seeing Svech - KK - Jarvis they had great chemistry for a little bit of time. I might go:

Domi - Aho - TT (let Domi set up Aho some and hopefully shoot more than Turbo) ...how fast is he as a skater? I hear he generates a lot of his offense off the rush so I'm hoping he's a burner.
Svech - KK - Jarvis
Stepan - Tro - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast

I don't know how I would number those lines but I like the idea of trying Stepan with Tro and Necas. Necas is heating up and Stepan is really good on the boards and makes some nice passes the boys can take advantage of.

This is almost like a first line and three second lines which would give people matchup fits in the POs.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The forward lines are really deep right now. If I'm RBA I'd consider having no traditional 4th lines. I really liked seeing Svech - KK - Jarvis they had great chemistry for a little bit of time. I might go:

Domi - Aho - TT (let Domi set up Aho some and hopefully shoot more than Turbo) ...how fast is he as a skater? I hear he generates a lot of his offense off the rush so I'm hoping he's a burner.
Svech - KK - Jarvis
Stepan - Tro - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast

I don't know how I would number those lines but I like the idea of trying Stepan with Tro and Necas. Necas is heating up and Stepan is really good on the boards and makes some nice passes the boys can take advantage of.

This is almost like a first line and three second lines which would give people matchup fits in the POs.

Grrr... no likey lines with all players having same handedness.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
NFTs probably will end up having viable real-world applications (real estate, supply chain, etc.) outside of pictures of monkeys. But in general - I agree with your assessment of current state. :laugh:
The only NFT's I bother with are the ones that have some utility to them: boosting APR/APY on LP's (Liquidity Pairs)/Stakes, unlocking certain functionality on a specific projects platform, or in the case of ones I'm buying in a couple hours, cars for a racing game (think Forza/Gran Turismo, but on the blockchain) - that one is a "Win-to-Earn" GameFi project.

But, yeah, NFT art just for "art" I have no interest in.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Currently we have $19,250,583 in cap space for next season, to sign 10 players with.

Should Keep May Keep Will Walk
NECAS Trocheck Niederreiter
Lorentz Domi Cole
Bear Stepan
DeAngelo Smith

If you plug Drury in as replacement for either Trocheck or Niederreiter at $925,000.00 that leaves 18,325,583
Lorentz at 1.5 million Leaves $16,825,583.00. Bear should come in about 2.5 million Leaving $14,325,583. If we sign Necas at 5.000,000.00, what do we sign TDA for? i'm going to say low end at 5 Million that leaves us $4,325,583. If we can trade Gardiner that would give us another 4050 million That would give us $8,375,583.00 to sign 5 players. If Domi replaces Trocheck at 5 to 4.5 million we will be ok cap wise. if not I see us hurtig.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
My thought is that if you take matriculation into consideration, Kotkaniemi will replace Trocheck and the Canes will choose one of Domi/Niederreiter/another UFA (Mikheyev/Marchment/Rodrigues?) to sign for the 2/3LW spot (it yet again illustrates my point about smart UFA plays blunting the cost of rentals). Drury will replace KK at 4C (though Stepan may also re-sign to give Drury some mentoring and competition).

Last edited:
Reactions: chaz4hockey

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I find not getting enough for UFAs at the deadline to be the emptiest of criticisms of GMs. With so many people involved in a decision (pro scouts, amateur scouts, cap gurus, analytics people and the rest), it's highly unlikely that a GM can call up another and sell them on a player. They can try to bluff their way into what they want, but at the end of the day, the other party has to get to the point of being willing to pay the price on their own.

It turns out that Domi had very little trade value. If you thought he did, you got it wrong.

I felt the same way when Skinner got dealt. Criticize the decision to make the move in lieu of the altnerative of keeping the player, but the market value is what it is.
You’re right. But at 25%, I think the market was wrong about him. Glad we got him for so cheap, even if he does nothing at all we didn’t really lose anything.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
You’re right. But at 25%, I think the market was wrong about him. Glad we got him for so cheap, even if he does nothing at all we didn’t really lose anything.

Part of the reason the trade cost was so low was because (evidently) Carolina was the only club that seriously wanted Domi, to the point that they brought scouts in to watch him until the end of the deadline period. With Carolina's reputation in pro scouting, you would think that more clubs would've taken him into consideration, but I guess not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad