Confirmed with Link: Canes acquire Max Domi (75% ret), Tyler Inamoto (FLA) for Aidan Hreschuk, Yegor Korshkov

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Carolina has had some lackluster trade deadline deals in the past, but I think the best comparison here is to go back and look at the de Haan trade thread.

We were not amused.

Fair enough... I was definitely underwhelmed by that trade at the time... but you know what. Forsling and Forsberg would have actually been great adds for the team. We just managed to lose both of them after the fact.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Fair enough... I was definitely underwhelmed by that trade at the time... but you know what. Forsling and Forsberg would have actually been great adds for the team. We just managed to lose both of them after the fact.
In retrospect, the funniest aspect of reactions to that trade was "We gave up Saarela TOO!?!?"

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Little did we know we won that trade going away. But then pissed it away.

I would not call it "pissing it away". This was and still is an incredibly deep team. Good on them for finding roles and thriving in less deep clubs (Florida still isn't that deep on the back end compared to us, and Ottawa is Ottawa).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I find not getting enough for UFAs at the deadline to be the emptiest of criticisms of GMs. With so many people involved in a decision (pro scouts, amateur scouts, cap gurus, analytics people and the rest), it's highly unlikely that a GM can call up another and sell them on a player. They can try to bluff their way into what they want, but at the end of the day, the other party has to get to the point of being willing to pay the price on their own.

It turns out that Domi had very little trade value. If you thought he did, you got it wrong.

I felt the same way when Skinner got dealt. Criticize the decision to make the move in lieu of the altnerative of keeping the player, but the market value is what it is.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean- I like getting Domi, especially for only having to give up a couple of randos for him...but I'll say the same thing about the trade as I did the Hakkenpaa trade last year when people here were White Knighting for it like Dick Cheney trying to justify the Iraq invasion:

The deal is fine in a vacuum. But we don't exist in a vacuum. We exist in a conference where rivals get Lindholm and Giroux, etc. I hope it's enough.

Hey, at least it's something I guess.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean- I like getting Domi, especially for only having to give up a couple of randos for him...but I'll say the same thing about the trade as I did the Hakkenpaa trade last year when people here were White Knighting for it like Dick Cheney trying to justify the Iraq invasion:

The deal is fine in a vacuum. But we don't exist in a vacuum. We exist in a conference where rivals get Lindholm and Giroux, etc. I hope it's enough.

Hey, at least it's something I guess.

Ya, I don't disagree... it's hard to see this move and think that it's 'good enough' compared to what the other big guns did at the deadline. On the flip side though Giroux picked his spot. Gio picked his spot. Lindholm was a big get for Boston but we don't have space or the need for another top 4 LHD unless you did some major reworking with moving out Skjei or something. I do think we could have gone for an upgrade on Cole though as I really don't want his dumbass mistakes costing us in the playoffs.

It's kind of the same thing with the forward group. We needed a top 6 LW and got one in Domi. He maybe wouldn't have been my first pick but definitely one on the shortlist for me. Other than doing a major reworking and trading out Necas or something like that for something huge I'm not sure what we really could have/should have done more. I like Dadonov but don't think that would work because Vegas wouldn't have been willing to retain.... they paid move the cap space, plus I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be on Domi if at all.

I like Copp from WPG but he went for WAY more and again I don't know how much better than Domi he is.

Namestikov... meh... I like Domi better... same with Motte... same with Cogliano... same with Paul... probably same with Johansson

Lehkonen... he might have been a nice move but went for way more as well and don't know how much the Habs would want to deal with us. Is he that much better than Domi?

Braun would have been a nice pick up but we are overflowing at RD

Giroux and Hagel would have been the difference makers to go for but as mentioned, CG picked Florida and Hagel went for an INSANE return. I can understand not doing that one.

If everything clicks then we've got just as good a chance as any of the top teams. Let's hope that happens.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I'm honestly just so happy to see an ownership group and front office that is fully willing to spend money and assets, including at the deadline, to put a winning team on the ice. As much as you would wish that was the case for every single club in the NHL, that unfortunately was not the case for the vast majority of our existence.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not much of a hitter. Not much of a goal scorer, either. Takes a lot of penalties, but draws a lot as well. I like Jarvis' fit better up there. We'll see.

The price wasn't much, though. No big deal if Domi ends up rotating between the Top 9, 4th line and pressbox.

Sends good message to the team as a whole and it should calm the nerves of the fanbase.
Wow, you must be Nostradamus. Took only one game for your press box prediction to come to fruition. :sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
with the top three lines looking like

Svechnikov. Aho. Teravainen
Domi. Trocheck. Necas
Niederreiter. Staal. Fast

i see the fourth line to be

Jarvis. Kotkaniemi. Lorentz

I just don’t see how the Canes can sit Lorentz the way he’s been playing lately.
Although I think it may happen, hard to put Jarvis on the fourth line with the way he’s played the last couple of games as well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just don’t see how the Canes can sit Lorentz the way he’s been playing lately.
1648039875796.png

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Although I think it may happen, hard to put Jarvis on the fourth line with the way he’s played the last couple of games as well.
Before last night, I'd say put Necas with Kotkaniemi and Lorentz. But given he broke the team-wide cold streak, it's hard to demote him either.

And while Lorentz has looked good, I'm also hard pressed to push Stepan out of the lineup. It's a good problem to have even while Martinook is out.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Jarvis picking up his game lately makes things interesting on how we can mix up the lines. If he plays every night like he did last night, I would keep him on the first. In a way, having Aho and Turbo out there kind of prevents teams from taking runs at Jarvis because by doing so they'll usually give up a fast break the other way.

Maybe go like this:

Jarvis-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Domi-KK-Lorentz/Martinook

And if you really want to load up for size and go hero lines

Svech-Aho-Turbo
Nino-Tro-Necas
Lorentz-Staal-Fast
Domi-KK-Marinook/Jarvis

In reality, this is prob what we'll do

Svech-Aho-Turbo
Domi-Tro-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Martinook-KK-Stepan/Lorentz/Jarvis

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Jarvis picking up his game lately makes things interesting on how we can mix up the lines. If he plays every night like he did last night, I would keep him on the first. In a way, having Aho and Turbo out there kind of prevents teams from taking runs at Jarvis because by doing so they'll usually give up a fast break the other way.

Maybe go like this:

Jarvis-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Domi-KK-Lorentz/Martinook

And if you really want to load up for size and go hero lines

Svech-Aho-Turbo
Nino-Tro-Necas
Lorentz-Staal-Fast
Domi-KK-Marinook/Jarvis

In reality, this is prob what we'll do

Svech-Aho-Turbo
Domi-Tro-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Martinook-KK-Stepan/Lorentz/Jarvis

Like we always do (myself included), we get too wrapped up in defining lines. As we saw last night, lines can change (Svech on the 2nd line, Jarvis on the 1st). Guys will have slumps, guys will have injuries, etc.. and there will very likely be enough opportunities for Domi and Jarvis to get playing time IMO.

The only things I see that are likely to continue for the foreseeable future are that 1) Aho, Trocheck, Staal, and Kotkaniemi will be down the middle. 2) Nino-Staal-Fast will continue to be the 3rd line, and TT, Svech, and Necas will stay in the top 6. other parts will likely move around based on slumps, injuries and how the team is doing.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Like we always do (myself included), we get too wrapped up in defining lines. As we saw last night, lines can change (Svech on the 2nd line, Jarvis on the 1st). Guys will have slumps, guys will have injuries, etc.. and there will very likely be enough opportunities for Domi and Jarvis to get playing time IMO.

The only things I see that are likely to continue for the foreseeable future are that 1) Aho, Trocheck, Staal, and Kotkaniemi will be down the middle. 2) Nino-Staal-Fast will continue to be the 3rd line, and TT, Svech, and Necas will stay in the top 6. other parts will likely move around based on slumps, injuries and how the team is doing.

Just keep doing what we did last night + Domi. We had Tampa all sorts of flustered and Vasi is the only reason that game wasn't 5 or 6 to 1.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I'd even go with another caveat that either Aho or Svech can start double shifting on any individual line at a moment's notice to switch or maintain momentum. Those two have tapped into some kind of reservoir this year that gives them the ability to play an additional 3-5 mins a night compared to everyone else. Wouldn't be surprised to see us leverage that a lot in the playoffs.

Just keep doing what we did last night + Domi. We had Tampa all sorts of flustered and Vasi is the only reason that game wasn't 5 or 6 to 1.

Could you imagine how much we would have taken Kuch off his game if we sent Domi out there after him late? That's how you get a guy flustered over the course of a few games, like Boston did to us in 2019.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
One thing of note. TDA when talking about Domi: "My good buddy". Could possibly help in TDA's re-signing at a more reasonable get.

Could be. Both of them are UFAs though. I think whether or not Domi breaks his way into the offseason Nino/Trocheck conversation depends entirely on how good he is with us, but it does add a potential option. 27 yrs deserves a different conversation for a 3 or 4 year UFA contract than a 29 or 30 year old (again, assuming he fits like a glove with this team which is far from a given).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Could be. Both of them are UFAs though. I think whether or not Domi breaks his way into the offseason Nino/Trocheck conversation depends entirely on how good he is with us, but it does add a potential option. 27 yrs deserves a different conversation for a 3 or 4 year UFA contract than a 29 or 30 year old (again, assuming he fits like a glove with this team which is far from a given).

No. TDA is an RFA. Also, even though Domi is a UFA, he's IMO an actual candidate to re-sign because he's the kind of player that may want to prove his worth with an elite team and then regally cash in on his next contract as "the gritty scorer that knows how to win". He has the talent to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad