Confirmed with Link: Canes acquire Max Domi (75% ret), Tyler Inamoto (FLA) for Aidan Hreschuk, Yegor Korshkov

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think Bear and TDA go to arbitration. Bear a 1 year at 2.1. TDA a 1 year around 4.5-5. I dont see us signing Bear long term, yet. I see all these low dollar multi year deals being thrown out for TDA. I just dont see him signing those. "place he likes" or not, RHD that put up points have a huge dollar market. We QO, TDA goes to arb. He gets a decent deal, still under market value, because of his pior issues. Win for both as he will get a heck of deal in the off-season of 23. We got 2 years well below market for a .8+ ppg RHD. Bear is that fringy RHS D for us, the righty version of Skjei. I say go get someone more defensively reliable in Manson, if the market is right. We are okay to assume the risk on Manson more than most cup favorites. We have a good 4RD that we trust to step right in if Manson gets hurt again. Get a guy who is more offensive minded for 3LD spot. Give Leddy a 1 year deal to reclaim his worth or go trade for Ghost.

Nino, Domi, or Namestiknov for 3LW, whoever signs the team friendly deal first.

I sign Necas to a 2 year bridge.

Drury to 4C. Lorentz at a 2 year, 900k-1 million deal.

I go get someone decently big for 2LW. Burakovsky, Palat, or similar. Bura would be good as he could carry the 2nd line offensively with Jarvis' help. Let Kotkaniemi get into playing more minutes and not rely on him to score a ton. Him setting up Bura and Jarvis could be really good. Jarvis and Kotkaniemi would have to cover for Bura on D as Bura isnt too good at D. He can score and score in the dirty areas though.

If we try to go 8 years for Necas then we are looking at 2 of Nino, Domi, Name, etc for cheaper 2/3LW. Whoever signs them cheaper, team friendly deals first.

I dont think Gardiner is a factor at this point.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think Bear and TDA go to arbitration. Bear a 1 year at 2.1. TDA a 1 year around 4.5-5. I dont us signing Bear long term, yet. I see all these low dollar multi year deals being thrown out for TDA. I just dont see him signing those. "place he likes" or not, RHD that put up points have a huge market. We QO, TDA goes to arb. He gets a decent deal, still under market value. Win for both as he will get a heck of deal in the off-season of 23. We got 2 years well below market for a .8+ ppg RHD. Bear is that fringy RHS D for us, the righty version of Skjei. I say go get someone more defensively reliable in Manson, if the market is right. Get a guy who is more offensive minded for 3LD spot. Give Leddy a 1 year deal to reclaim his worth or go trade for Ghost.

Nino, Domi, or Namestiknov for 3LW, whoever signs the team friendly deal first.

Drury to 4C.

I go get someone decently big for 2LW. Burakovsky, Palat, or similar. Bura would be good as he could carry the 2nd line offensively with Jarvis' help. Let Kotkaniemi get into playing more minutes and not rely on him to score a ton. Him setting up Bura and Jarvis could be really good. Jarvis and Kotkaniemi would have to cover for Bura on D as Bura isnt too good at D. He can score and score in the dirty areas though.

If we try to go 8 years for Necas then we are looking at 2 of Nino, Domi, Name, etc for cheaper 2/3LW. Whoever signs them cheaper, team friendly deals first.

I dont think Gardiner is a factor at this point.

Maybe others have done this, but I've never once said that DeAngelo would get low-dollar. My thought was 2-3 years at the Dougie cap-hit (his old contract) of $5.75M AAV.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I sort of edited my comment to say that lol, but I'm certainly the most vocal.
I usually dont agree with your methods but I wasnt talking about you this time. Its not always you GOSH!!! :neener:

but seriously though. I could see us taking a stab in the dark and trying to get TDA under market value like that. As his agent, I would tell him not to do that. 1 more year of maturity and a solid arbitration ruling, he is looking at serious long term money. Could happen though. I would be okay with it. Not excited but okay with it. Im not much for gambles with Morrow looking really good and likely to be the O RHD as soon as 23-24. I would like to see us make of a more long term investment in a top 6 LW and make lesser commitments to RHD, especially ones with history.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think we keep only one of Bear and TDA, and give a contract to Morrow with the expectation he makes it. If not, Chatfield gets called up to be the third pair. We can't have both Bear and TDA at their reasonable salaries next year with the other holes we need to fill.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I usually dont agree with your methods but I wasnt talking about you this time. Its not always you GOSH!!! :neener:

but seriously though. I could see us taking a stab in the dark and trying to get TDA under market value like that. As his agent, I would tell him not to do that. 1 more year of maturity and a solid arbitration ruling, he is looking at serious long term money. Could happen though. I would be okay with it. Not excited but okay with it. Im not much for gambles with Morrow looking really good and likely to be the O RHD as soon as 23-24. I would like to see us make of a more long term investment in a top 6 LW and make lesser commitments to RHD, especially ones with history.

As seen by the recent pacts with Svech and KK, I think that agents and players may be willing to have more leeway now to at least go for a slightly more cap-friendly direction with the RFAs because Carolina is now seen as a legitimately attractive place to play and compete for hardware. I'm not saying that players will play for nothing, but I'm talking more in this vein of allowing the Canes to buy-out UFA seasons at middle-to-high RFA values.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think we keep only one of Bear and TDA, and give a contract to Morrow with the expectation he makes it. If not, Chatfield gets called up to be the third pair. We can't have both Bear and TDA at their reasonable salaries next year with the other holes we need to fill.

No thank you. Morrow is not ready at all. My thought is that both Bear and TDA will get extended, but TDA will get a shorter deal of around 2-3 years. Morrow would become TDA's eventual successor. Bear (when he plays like he is capable of, like he's doing right now) IMO has an ability to be a more medium-term piece, unless they think that Keane/Chatfield can replace him next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: geehaad

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think Bear and TDA go to arbitration. Bear a 1 year at 2.1. TDA a 1 year around 4.5-5.
They may file for arb and it would be sensible of them, but I'd see they do it only to pressure a negotiated decent timely contract that gets signed before the hearing.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
They may file for arb and it would be sensible of them, but I'd see they do it only to pressure a negotiated decent timely contract that gets signed before the hearing.
possibly. I dont think the Canes do more than the QO for Bear though.

I still dont know what to make of TDA's next deal. What makes sense, the market, and what we will spend dont match.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
possibly. I dont think the Canes do more than the QO for Bear though.

I still dont know what to make of TDA's next deal. What makes sense, the market, and what we will spend dont match.
And what arbitration looks like is anyone’s guess. Can the Rangers contract be brought up? If so, can the fact it was bought out be brought up?

Very odd situation.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think it would be horrific mismanagement to have any expectation that Morrow will make the NHL next season. If they want to sign all the appropriate guys and then Morrow forces their hand, fine, he'd be cheap and you'd likely have a trade chip with whichever guy he would replace. Anything more than that would be insanity.

Also, I feel like most of us didn't see a lot of what we did last offseason coming, so I'll be interested to see what we do. Granted, I think much will depend on how this postseason goes.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And what arbitration looks like is anyone’s guess. Can the Rangers contract be brought up? If so, can the fact it was bought out be brought up?

Very odd situation.
"The compensation of any Player(s) who is alleged to be comparable to the party Player" is explicitly allowed evidence in the arbitration.

It's hard to argue that TDA is not comparable player to TDA.

But, by the CBA, one or other side must contend that a specific player is comparable; otherwise the arbitrator is not allowed to consider that player to be comparable. So effectively Tony must bring his former NYR contract up himself.

The circumstances of how the SPC ended seems not to be allowed evidence. CBA 12.9 (g) lists the allowed and not allowed evidence (can't post it on mobily, sorry).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The worst case scenario with Gardiner is that they have to buy him out this summer. Even then, according to CapFriendly and the understanding that the cap is going up to $82.5M, the Canes would have $23.4M in space after the just over $1M Gardiner buyout.

They’ll be fine.

TDA @ $5.25M (don’t see them paying more)

Bear @ $2.75M or under (again, don’t see him getting more

Necas or Trocheck @ $6.75M max (I don’t think they’d give Necas that much and then that’s the most they’d pay Trocheck, pick 1)

Domi or similar top 9 F @ ~$4.5M

Drury @ $925K

And you have about $3-3.5M to round out the roster

Teravainen-Aho-Trocheck/Necas
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Jarvis
Domi/FA-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Drury-(UFA or Lorentz)

Slavin-TDA
Skjei-Pesce
(UFA)-Bear

You could replace Bear with Chatfield or Keane to save $2M and upgrade elsewhere as well. It’s tight if they decide to keep both Bear and pay over $6M for Necas or Trocheck, but doable.

If Gardiner is still on LTIR, retires or is traded, they have another $1M to play with.

Last edited:
Reactions: geehaad and zman77

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The worst case scenario with Gardiner is that they have to buy him out this summer. Even then, according to CapFriendly and the understanding that the cap is going up to $82.5M, the Canes would have $23.4M in space after the just over $1M Gardiner buyout.

They’ll be fine.
Does the cap math work better with a buyout versus LTIR again?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Does the cap math work better with a buyout versus LTIR again?
According to CapFriendly they’d have over $24M, with a cap of $82.5M and Gardiner still on LTIR at the start of 22-23. So Gardiner still on LTIR next year gives them a bit more breathing room.

I just assumed absolute worst case.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t think so. I was assuming Gardiner would be cleared to play next season as worst case.
I think that ship has sailed. He's seeing LTIR through until he announces retirement. With his history, missing this entire season was probably the death knell to his career.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
No thank you. Morrow is not ready at all. My thought is that both Bear and TDA will get extended, but TDA will get a shorter deal of around 2-3 years. Morrow would become TDA's eventual successor. Bear (when he plays like he is capable of, like he's doing right now) IMO has an ability to be a more medium-term piece, unless they think that Keane/Chatfield can replace him next season.
Morrow should be another 1-2 years but I would gladly take him tomorrow over Bear if I had that choice. He’s going to be a stud and could contribute right now if he was here. Bear has been downright bad most of this year and shouldn’t be extended for anything more than 7D money

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
In reality, this is prob what we'll do

Svech-Aho-Turbo
Domi-Tro-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Martinook-KK-Stepan/Lorentz/Jarvis

nd TT, Svech, and Necas will stay in the top 6.
The reality is that Roddy has not been afraid to play Necas on the 4th line during this slump. I'm not so sure that won't be the case unless and until he re-finds his game, last night notwithstanding.
The Tampa game aside, didn't we lose the previous 4 games because guys like Aho and Svech were basically absent?

I think our depth is great to contribute to a game where our top players are on their game, but I don't think they're enough to carry the team if opposing teams shut down the likes of Aho and Svech
And I believe that's why they needed a top 6ish LW at the TDL. We need somebody who can put up points and hopefully, Domi will be able to feed the rest of his line (I'm not convinced that Jarvis isn't on the right side of that line).
Not me....either a 1 year "show me" deal or a 3 year deal - two years puts him on the same trajectory as Aho, Tuevo, Pesce, Skjei, and Jarvis. I would think that GMBC would want to avoid that at all costs....but then I was wrong about Jarvis getting sent back to juniors for the same reason. It's probably fair to say that Don Waddell has a "I ain't scared" plaque on his wall.

Reactions: zman77

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Not me....either a 1 year "show me" deal or a 3 year deal - two years puts him on the same trajectory as Aho, Tuevo, Pesce, Skjei, and Jarvis. I would think that GMBC would want to avoid that at all costs....but then I was wrong about Jarvis getting sent back to juniors for the same reason. It's probably fair to say that Don Waddell has a "I ain't scared" plaque on his wall.
i dont think that matters. Its maximizes cap space for us to keep the most important of Necas, Turbo, Jarvis, Necas, and Pesce. Plus we would have next off-season to start re-signing folks too.

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Morrow should be another 1-2 years but I would gladly take him tomorrow over Bear if I had that choice. He’s going to be a stud and could contribute right now if he was here. Bear has been downright bad most of this year and shouldn’t be extended for anything more than 7D money

The most important thing with any player for a good team is how you start and how you finish. If he can finish well, that'll be a good indicator that he should stick. If he plays like poo-poo or pee-pee again like in January/February, well, then that'll change.

Reactions: Daeavorn

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

You are way overestimating what a guy like Morrow can do at this very moment. He would likely be one of the, if not the, worst NHL players at this time. Look back at Nino Niederreiter's stats at age 19-20 when the Isles (during their peak tire-fire days) rushed him into the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad