GDT: CandyCanes GDT vs Sharks

Is This A Real GDT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Believe the votes for trophies are in before the playoffs start.
This is correct.

Montreal or Vancouver making the playoffs might have something to say about it but on the other hand it almost feels like people are waiting for things to come back to reality with both of them, there is no such real talk along those lines about the Canes. People have been waiting for us to break out for years now. Rod was one of the two favorites for the award heading in to the season, feels like people will stick with him if he meets expectations. And especially if the Canes finish in the top 3 of a division that's perceived as being strong.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
A fun discussion would be how they are doing it, because up front they aren't uniquely talented.

I think it amounts to zero recovery time for all the opposing players. We out skated a deep defense last night because they spend all their money on their top four players and their 3rd pair can’t be trusted. We shoot so frequently from everywhere that goalies don’t get mental or physical breaks when we are in the zone. We hit. We transition out of our zone very fast which puts more pressure on their defense. Our forecheck is on the puck carrier as soon as they get the puck. All of this causes mistakes which yield chances. A LOT of chances can negate a poor PDO or just lower than average skill.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
NHL.com is doing 20% off today, I think it's time for me to pick up a new jersey. I'm tired of wearing a jersey I got in middle school that has my last name on it haha. I'm so dang torn on what jersey to get, and I've only got 10 hours to decide.

First off do I do a 3rd jersey or a home jersey? And do I go for Williams , Slavin, Aho, or Svech? Faulkkkkk this is such a tough decision.

Update on the jersey. I made my purchase. Went with a home Svech jersey. He just winked at me and tossed me a puck a few days ago, how could I not honor our bromance?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
F74AD5F6-4AC8-4100-A16E-2DC69A7BD0BB.jpeg

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

The amount of salt being produced by other people outside the “Canesphere” (media, fans, whoever) is just baffling.

And yet, truly satisfying.

To all the people who’ve ventured into our dark little corner of HF & taken the time/effort to watch this team - Thanks. Everyone else can bugger off.

Man, I love this team. This board is just a bonus. :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They still lack skill which is why they aren't scoring more than they do, but if they continue to play like this, they will be in most every game.

So, I agree with basically the rest of this post, but I'd debate this. They're probably about league average in terms of talent but a large part of the issue is that the talent in the org is REALLY young. Aho, Necas, Svechnikov are all top line talents but are also all U-23. Kuokkanen and Goat in the A are U21s. The only prime age skill guys we have really are Turbo at 24, Rask at 25 (IR), and Ferland at 26.

Not sure what to make of Foegele yet other than he's definitely a top 9 type, but he's all of 22 as well.

Don't get me wrong, we need to add more talent and definitely more top 6 type talent, but more than anything this group needs experience. Getting say Jeff Carter if LA continues to struggle might be a pretty nice pickup to make later in the season depending on the price.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think it amounts to zero recovery time for all the opposing players. We out skated a deep defense last night because they spend all their money on their top four players and their 3rd pair can’t be trusted. We shoot so frequently from everywhere that goalies don’t get mental or physical breaks when we are in the zone. We hit. We transition out of our zone very fast which puts more pressure on their defense. Our forecheck is on the puck carrier as soon as they get the puck. All of this causes mistakes which yield chances. A LOT of chances can negate a poor PDO or just lower than average skill.
I absolutely love love love the relentless forechecking style. It's been my "ideal hockey system" for years but for some reason teams haven't really been doing it. Canes definitely are the most fun team to watch this season and it's not close.

And yeah, Canes are winning despite getting very unlucky. When they have normal luck they should be winning every game like 5-2.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So, I agree with basically the rest of this post, but I'd debate this. They're probably about league average in terms of talent but a large part of the issue is that the talent in the org is REALLY young. Aho, Necas, Svechnikov are all top line talents but are also all U-23. Kuokkanen and Goat in the A are U21s. The only prime age skill guys we have really are Turbo at 24, Rask at 25 (IR), and Ferland at 26.

Not sure what to make of Foegele yet other than he's definitely a top 9 type, but he's all of 22 as well.

Don't get me wrong, we need to add more talent and definitely more top 6 type talent, but more than anything this group needs experience. Getting say Jeff Carter if LA continues to struggle might be a pretty nice pickup to make later in the season depending on the price.

When I made that statement, I wasn't talking about guys with "potential" though, I was referring to guys that are going to make an impact right now. Necas, Kuokkanen, Goat, and even Svech aren't at that level yet and 3 of them aren't even in the NHL. In a year or two, it may be different as those guys develop, but right now, the team at forward isn't as talented as many of the other top teams. Brindy knows it which is why he keeps saying that the Canes have to play this way to have a chance. Pittsburgh has arguable 3 guys as good or better than our best. Same with Toronto, WPG, TBL, NSH, COL, WSH, BOS, and maybe a few others.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Now that the Canes have something like 9 games in 18 days, including a couple of back to back games, it's going be interesting to see if they are able to sustain the level of intensity they've had so far.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Now that the Canes have something like 9 games in 18 days, including a couple of back to back games, it's going be interesting to see if they are able to sustain the level of intensity they've had so far.
I agree. You had better be in the best shape of your lives to attempt this strategy over the course of an 82 game season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree. You had better be in the best shape of your lives to attempt this strategy over the course of an 82 game season.

On defense, I'm not too worried as the team spreads the minutes out pretty well. On offense though if they shorten the bench too much, it might be tough. Maybe that's why they are rotating guys (Necas, Bishop, Roy) through now so they can see if they can do things like that on back to backs coming up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad