• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thought McGinn had his best game last night (at least for the games I saw). Was all over the place, we moving so well that he was always a great option for the defense on break-outs, and had some scoring chances. Svech is coming along also, but still looks a little weak and unsure. Not surprising given his age.

Bishop did well in his role as well.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Thought McGinn had his best game last night (at least for the games I saw). Was all over the place, we moving so well that he was always a great option for the defense on break-outs, and had some scoring chances. Svech is coming along also, but still looks a little weak and unsure. Not surprising given his age.

I thought McGinn had one of, if not his best game last night. He's knocking on the door, just needs to keep doing what he's doing. Even when he's less noticeable, he's typically skating hard and landing hits.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
McGinn was the guy who caused the 2v1 on the goal against, as well.

Does any player in Canes history get friendlier analysis than Brock?

He's a fan favorite right now. Still working hard, with last seasons production still fresh in our minds. Unless he goes 10 more games without a point, he'll probably maintain favor. I just like his work ethic. As someone else mentioned, he was one guy that was out there giving 100% every game last season, even as others had started to coast.

I think Ferland stole some of his mojo, as they play a similar style, but McGinn is a competitor. I hope he pots one soon.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
McGinn was the guy who caused the 2v1 on the goal against, as well.

Does any player in Canes history get friendlier analysis than Brock?

Hamilton also had a play in that as well as another bad pinch or two. Slavin also had a bad step up in the neutral zone leading to a penalty. Faulk and de Haan let the guy get behind them for a break-away. Faulk let the guy get behind him on the play that he ended up making a save on. etc...

Guys can have good games and make a bad play in the same game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Anyone else think Svech might benefit from playing big minutes with Necas in CLT?

Ohl to NHL is a big jump. Maybe even 30 games in the A would be good for him and his confidence.

I think he can't go to the AHL. He was drafted into the OHL out of the USHL, so it's OHL or Canes. That's his only option.

EDIT: If he could go to the AHL, I'd agree with you though that it might be beneficial.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Hamilton also had a play in that as well as another bad pinch or two. Slavin also had a bad step up in the neutral zone leading to a penalty. Faulk and de Haan let the guy get behind them for a break-away. Faulk let the guy get behind him on the play that he ended up making a save on. etc...

Guys can have good games and make a bad play in the same game.

I'm just saying what qualifies for good for McGinn, which is 0 points, a couple hits, not finishing his chances, and a gaffe that led to a goal, is not the standard for everyone else.

Kid has 0 points in 9 games, is a team worse -4, has the least shots on goal, and people are still talking him up. That's not how anyone else is judged.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Anyone else think Svech might benefit from playing big minutes with Necas in CLT?

Ohl to NHL is a big jump. Maybe even 30 games in the A would be good for him and his confidence.

I think Svech looks good. Karash over and Canes and Coffee made a good point on a breakaway earlier in the season, where Svech made a move that probably beats junior goalies, but isn't enough to beat NHL goalies. I think that might be the adjustment to be made. That he has to learn what it takes to beat NHL goalies. Got to make the moves a little faster, elevate the puck a little higher, and things of that nature.

But his forecheck and playmaking are driving the line. He has 25 shots on goal, which is a good number for his minutes. This isn't a Necas situation, where he's just not effective and looks over-matched. I think by December, he's going to figure it out, and he'll tear it up the last 4 months of the season. For now, he's a really good 3rd line winger who can carry a line offensively at 18yo 9 games into his career.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm just saying what qualifies for good for McGinn, which is 0 points, a couple hits, not finishing his chances, and a gaffe that led to a goal, is not the standard for everyone else.

Kid has 0 points in 9 games, is a team worse -4, has the least shots on goal, and people are still talking him up. That's not how anyone else is judged.

You're over-reacting. What I said was that this was one of his best games yet this season, not that he's been good this season. In fact, what we (or at least I) was saying is that he hasn't been good, but played better this game than he has in the past.

Lurk Muller

Oct 11, 2018

I'd rather see him with better line mates. I think he's showing he doesn't need kid gloves with his deployment.

Sometimes it seems like he's out there by himself winning board battles or sending nice passes to guys that can't handle them.(not a dig on the bottom six guys but he should be getting lots of reps with good players right now imo)

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

He's 4th on the team in hits (19), and only 2 back of Ferland, and Martinook, who are tied for 2nd behind hit-master-flash, J. Staal. He's still playing a heavy game, and skating hard which is why he's still in favor, I think. However, he's only got 11 shots and a wopping 0.0 shot% (is that right?) in 9 games which is dreadfully low. He's not taking shots, or maybe he's not getting the opportunity. Last season shots were not an issue for him (159).

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I thought McGinn was noticeable in a good way last night, but I also found myself thinking that it was because he was bringing energy in limited ice time and not much more. I think the ship is setting sail on him being any more than a good 4th liner in the NHL. No shame in that, either, just not what I had hoped for

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I’ve kind of been reserved about making any comments about Svechnikov just because he’s an 18 year old rookie playing with two dudes who are playing a line above where they should probably be playing. So far I’ve been impressed with his ability to take the puck the away, the fact he’s not afraid to go to the net, and his shot. His release on the shot that popped Howard in the face last night was freakin amazing.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I’ve kind of been reserved about making any comments about Svechnikov just because he’s an 18 year old rookie playing with two dudes who are playing a line above where they should probably be playing. So far I’ve been impressed with his ability to take the puck the away, the fact he’s not afraid to go to the net, and his shot. His release on the shot that popped Howard in the face last night was freakin amazing.

Was that Svech or Foegele? I saw Foegele send a blistering wrister right at his grill. Don't remember if it actually hit him in the face or not.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I noticed this as well, it was like he was running WR routes out there. Didn't pass to me on this one? Lemme loop back around and run other. Very effective slashing through and across the zone.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think he can't go to the AHL. He was drafted into the OHL out of the USHL, so it's OHL or Canes

How does it do: does the NHL/CHL transfer agreement ban only AHL as a no-go league? For example, if Sebastian Aho's dad might need an impressionable young man, could Canes loan him to SML?

edit: to answer myself, it looks like it's CHL if a signed player doesn't make it to the NHL roster.

So where does the AHL’s oft-cited “20-year-old player rule” come in? This rule is based on the NHL and CHL Agreement, which states a signed player aged 18 or 19 who was claimed from a CHL club and is not retained by the NHL club, must be assigned to the CHL junior club whom he last played for or owes a contractual obligation.

Makes sense, it's pretty much same condition on sub-20 Europeans from IIHF-associated leagues as per the NHL-IIHF transfer agreement. Or, to be accurate, the team has the option to demand the player to be returned.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad