News Article: Canadiens wrapped up in legal tax evasion leak - Paradise Papers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It simply does not look good. When your struggling young professional has to give up half of an already pretty low salary, only to see this huge business company try to avoid paying their share of taxes, it just does not look good.

It is true, it does not look good and I agree with you. However, it's not up to the young professional and the company to set the rules. They are only working within the rules or what they can get away with.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you give have your income in taxes, you don't have a "pretty low" salary.

Well he’s exagerrating a bit but if you make $45K, 20% goes to the feds and an additional 20% to the province. So almost half and that’s not a big salary at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The people who shamed Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey disagree with you. I bet Geoff Molson and Galen Weston would have preferred this story was swept under the rug too.

Sexual Abuse vs Business Ethics. What matters to you more is an interesting conversation. Both need law to keep people accountable and hopefully keep them away from breaking the law.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Governments have tons of moneys after raping the restaurant and construction industries with unauthorized audits and penalties based on estimates and arbitrary assessments.... they have Agents posing as clients to see if a mom and pop shop dish out an invoice and if they fail to do so they get slapped with a 500$ penalty. Gst and Qst audits based on arbitrary assessments in a system where you are guilty until proven innocent. Thousand of montrealers closing their business because of high tax rates and no tax exemptions. Penalties equal to duties. Government agents getting kickbacks from their employer for collecting from these citizens. and so on and so on...

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Well he’s exagerrating a bit but if you make $45K, 20% goes to the feds and an additional 20% to the province. So almost half and that’s not a big salary at all.
The combine rate is about 37% but there is a basic exemption for the first $11,500 of income so it would actually be significantly less than that at about 27.5% combined on $45,000.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

You don't pay taxes on your first 12K or something like that.
So that's really only 33K you pay tax on.

Plus you pay 20%X2 only for a tiny, tiny amount, since 45K isn't that much above the first bracket (and that 20% is pretty much the percentage for the second bracket, to both jurisdictions). So, really, you only pay 20%+20% for about 5K.

How much tax do you pay if you make 50K in Qc?

I don't know... maybe a bit more than 10K all in all?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The combine rate is about 37% but there is a basic exemption for the first $11,500 of income so it would actually be significantly less than that at about 27.5% combined on $45,000.

Thanks for explaining clearly and intelligently what I explained unclearly and stupidly.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
employers pay 17% of employer benefits throughout the year including HSF which is medical.

Hockey POTUS

Jul 20, 2016
Sexual Abuse vs Business Ethics. What matters to you more is an interesting conversation. Both need law to keep people accountable and hopefully keep them away from breaking the law.
They both matter to me. Though not equally so, they are both shameful. And shameful behaviour, especially by the powerful, deserves to be shamed. Molson, Weinstein and Spacey all have power in common. And I'm all for interesting conversations.

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada

It's only 31% for the first 43k..

Plus you pay 20%X2 only for a tiny, tiny amount, since 45K isn't that much above the first bracket (and that 20% is pretty much the percentage for the second bracket, to both jurisdictions). So, really, you only pay 20%+20% for about 5K.

It's not even 40%.. it's 31% combined on the first 43k

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Plus you pay 20%X2 only for a tiny, tiny amount, since 45K isn't that much above the first bracket (and that 20% is pretty much the percentage for the second bracket, to both jurisdictions). So, really, you only pay 20%+20% for about 5K

And that is still higher than the corporate tax rate

Reactions: Hockey POTUS

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good, all of the hard working canadians and businesses pay too much taxes, so the many entitled and unwilling can live without lifting a hand. If you can find a loophole, you take it.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
The central bankers will fix these cheating clowns in a few years. The bankers want to keep their monopoly on the money industry and they'll be ruthless and ugly about it. One day out of the blue they'll have a banking holiday, introduce crypto currency and blamo! like a baseball bat hitting their frontal lobes they'll make the tax cheats and their offshore money worthless. It's a game that never gets old, they just find new ways of gaming the system.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Weird, some people are telling me it's about 40%.
I recall paying way more than what would be 20% of 50K, but it was a while back so don't remember quite clearly.
Could be wrong.
Are you guys only talking about income tax? Because I am including everything, all form of taxes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They both matter to me. Though not equally so, they are both shameful. And shameful behaviour, especially by the powerful, deserves to be shamed. Molson, Weinstein and Spacey all have power in common. And I'm all for interesting conversations.

Only fair and effective way to police is with LAW IMO. It's proven over time but we need to constantly review and improver our Laws as the people and world is evolving. Shaming people helps but I rather see rules set and enforced. If you break the law, you face a judge and you also get shamed.

Reactions: Hockey POTUS

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I recall paying way more than what would be 20% of 50K, but it was a while back so don't remember quite clearly.
Could be wrong.

It also seems to be more expensive to be single in Québec than it is to have kids.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Could be wrong.
Are you guys only talking about income tax? Because I am including everything, all form of taxes.

East coast of Canada is around 40% in income tax (Provincal, Federal, etc). Problem is the tax brackets you are in and this will change based on the salary you have and how much you invest to offset your taxes. The variables vary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad