News Article: Canadiens wrapped up in legal tax evasion leak - Paradise Papers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This just calls in to question the relation between our richest and those who write the laws honestly. It shows a probable collusion between the two that makes our entire democratic process seem like a sham. When rules are written by & for the rich it's not surprising rich people screwing people over is not only legal but, as others have said, inevitable and indeed encouraged.

won't be long before the pitchforks come out for these people and that is basically the only thing keeping me going

Agreed. And we wonder why some people flip out and go crazy? The divide between the hardworking majority and the rich is growing and this is bad for the majority of the population. It's only going to get worse with the track we are on.

People can shame Molson all they want (if they are cheating the system), but the blame and target needs to be with the governments as they set the rules. Lets compare this to the NHL. Say what you want to say about Bettman but his focus is parity. Teams found a loop hole in the cap and then Bettman shut it down with new rules in the next CBA. I'm not a huge Bettman fan but this is what we need in our government. They get a pass way too easily IMO because too many people turn a blind eye and can't be bothered to stand up against the BS.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
It's called business and ethics are not part of it. It's all about what you can get away with these days. I choose to target the government vs the onces working around the rules. It's up the the government to create a fair playing field IMO. In business, if you value ethics and you are in competition with other companies that don't value ethics, you will lose.
This train of thought is so problematic and defeatist and only perpetuates the problem.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Great point about Weston and his complaints about the minimum wage. Billionaire who hides money in offshore accounts complains about paying a higher minimum wage.

You want business to police themselves? That's not going to happen. If you are upset with the system and loop holes. Target the people who set the rules and have them enforce preventable action plans.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This is probably the controversy surrounding the Habs that some reports said two weeks ago would soon come out.

Although not uncommon, still not cool.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great point about Weston and his complaints about the minimum wage. Billionaire who hides money in offshore accounts complains about paying a higher minimum wage.

Let’s combine that with the fact most of us are asked to work 35-42 hours a week, 5 days a week, which studies show is ineffective and redundant. Topped with a measly 2 weeks of vacation per year. 2 weeks. Europeans get 5+ weeks off per year. But we just accept it because the only thing we say is “well it’s not as bad as the US!”

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
they avoid paying corporate taxes but service taxes and deductions at source of salaries are all paid to the penny. I understand trying to save every million you can especially when you are forced to pay the majority of your salaries in US dollars whilst earning CAD. Its not that simple nor is it that complicated. The truth is.. we hate people trying to avoid payign taxes... but when they find legal loopholes why are we offended, Given the salaries they pay out... there is so much money being pumped into the HFS (health services fund) and Provincial and federal income tax fund. If they did something Illegal fine... but if they can avoid payign CORP tax.. which just fills the gov pockets and not the people.. then fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This train of thought is so problematic and defeatist and only perpetuates the problem.

- CBA before the current one: Cap circumventing contracts because teams found a way to work around the rules.

- Current CBA: Rules are set to prevent teams from circumventing the cap.

Where there is change, the is opportunity and problems can be fixed if we want to fix them.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Agreed. And we wonder why some people flip out and go crazy? The divide between the hardworking majority and the rich is growing and this is bad for the majority of the population. It's only going to get worse with the track we are on.

People can shame Molson all they want (if they are cheating the system), but the blame and target needs to be with the governments as they set the rules. Lets compare this to the NHL. Say what you want to say about Bettman but his focus is parity. Teams found a loop hole in the cap and then Bettman shut it down with new rules in the next CBA. I'm not a huge Bettman fan but this is what we need in our government. They get a pass way too easily IMO because too many people turn a blind eye and can't be bothered to stand up against the BS.

it's almost as if there's some sort of ruling class that writes the rules to their own benefit.

but really the only thing we can take from this is that our current economic + political realities just aren't stable and certainly won't last forever. It may be fine now while most people in our country (well any countries that are effected) live a relativley comfortable life. But when shit hits the fan these people are playing a very dangerous game.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Governments need to do something. These big corporations should be paying billions more in taxes.

The governments are usually on very good terms with these corporations...
(Billions in tax though... YIKES)

Hockey POTUS

Jul 20, 2016
You want business to police themselves? That's not going to happen. If you are upset with the system and loop holes. Target the people who set the rules and have them enforce preventable action plans.
Both need to happen. Laws need to be tightened and businesses need to be shamed for shameful behaviour. Don't forget the laws become looser because businesses lobby government officials.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I dont see anything shameful in trying to save money when you have net income after expenses.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
it's almost as if there's some sort of ruling class that writes the rules to their own benefit.

but really the only thing we can take from this is that our current economic + political realities just aren't stable and certainly won't last forever. It may be fine now while most people in our country (well any countries that are effected) live a relativley comfortable life. But when **** hits the fan these people are playing a very dangerous game.

The problem is incremental. The trend and track is just enough to keep the majority silent.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Adamcrazy3

Dec 9, 2011
Montreal, Canada
The governments are usually on very good terms with these corporations...
(Billions in tax though... YIKES)

Exactly why it's a problem. The current liberal government is going after doctors but in the meantime they turn a blind eye on tax evasion by big corporations. It's time for everyone to be paying their fair share.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The problem is incremental. The trend and track is just enough to keep the majority silent.

I think one thing is a lot of people feel dissasosciated and selfishness is taught at a young age. A lot of people think "if I was wealthy I would be doing the same thing" so they don't really care. Societies that are more, for lack of a better term, class conscious (the UK, France etc...) seem to get a lot more fired up over this then we do here or in the states.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both need to happen. Laws need to be tightened and businesses need to be shamed for shameful behaviour. Don't forget the laws become looser because businesses lobby government officials.

Shameful behavior vs Law. Law is the only fair way to proceed. Shaming people on shameful behaver is the system we have now and it's not working.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Exactly why it's a problem. The current liberal government is going after doctors but in the meantime they turn a blind eye on tax evasion by big corporations. It's time for everyone to be paying their fair share.

I'd just add this though : The Liberal government isn't any better or worse than the other governments we had, MAYBE with the exception of the first PQ government, and that's mostly explained by never being in power before in the first place. The friends are different, but the result is the same.

Disclaimer : I never voted LPC. Never will.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
they avoid paying corporate taxes but service taxes and deductions at source of salaries are all paid to the penny. I understand trying to save every million you can especially when you are forced to pay the majority of your salaries in US dollars whilst earning CAD. Its not that simple nor is it that complicated. The truth is.. we hate people trying to avoid payign taxes... but when they find legal loopholes why are we offended, Given the salaries they pay out... there is so much money being pumped into the HFS (health services fund) and Provincial and federal income tax fund. If they did something Illegal fine... but if they can avoid payign CORP tax.. which just fills the gov pockets and not the people.. then fine.
It simply does not look good. When your struggling young professional has to give up half of an already pretty low salary, only to see this huge business company try to avoid paying their share of taxes, it just does not look good.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It simply does not look good. When your struggling young professional has to give up half of an already pretty low salary, only to see this huge business company try to avoid paying their share of taxes, it just does not look good.

If you give have your income in taxes, you don't have a "pretty low" salary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd just add this though : The Liberal government isn't any better or worse than the other governments we had, MAYBE with the exception of the first PQ government, and that's mostly explained by never being in power before in the first place. The friends are different, but the result is the same.

Disclaimer : I never voted LPC. Never will.

I'm glad you said it. Governments are all the same. They are repenting themselves, not the public. Maybe we need rules for the people who set the rules?

Last edited:

Hockey POTUS

Jul 20, 2016
Shameful behavior vs Law. Law is the only fair way to proceed. Shaming people on shameful behaver is the system we have now and it's not working.
The people who shamed Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey disagree with you. I bet Geoff Molson and Galen Weston would have preferred this story was swept under the rug too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad