Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Will Pick 5th (Hughes Presser in OP) NO POLITICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That myriad of uncertainty has a lot us doing what we normally don’t like to do, which is welcome an appeal to authority. There are so many variables that go into this as you’ve stated but the act of evaluating them and managing risk is beyond the scope of those who don’t have access to the team’s due diligence results.

Hopefully no fans come back with “I told you so” after all is said and done — none of us will be held accountable one way or the other.

This is exactly right.

But on the flip side, if we take Michkov and the Russisn factor prevents Michkov from coming over, I personally won't be mad at Hughes, and rather will still admire him for swinging for an offensive star, a potential generational talent.

At any rate they still might not think some aspects of his game translate well to the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's really where I've been trying to stay this whole time.

We don't and can't have all the information.. this isn't a situation where you are looking at a couple prospects in a normal environment and you can pit your hockey analysis against the team.

We will not be able to interview Michkov or talk to anyone around him. Most teams haven't been able to do that -yet- and it's 6 days until the first round. This isn't using the 25th pick on Kuznetsov, or the 16th pick on Tarasenko, this is using a top 5 pick in one of the deepest top end of a draft we've seen.
Leaked by a 15-year old hacker: CSIS, the FBI, the CIA, Interpol and high ranking officials of the G-7 all consulted as part of the Habs’ due diligence process. :sarcasm:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is exactly right.

But on the flip side, if we take Michkov and the Russisn factor prevents Michkov from coming over, I personally won't be mad at Hughes, and rather will still admire him for swinging for an offensive star, a potential generational talent.

At any rate they still might not think some aspects of his game translate well to the NHL.

You might not.. but I can guarantee you this board will absolutely hold it against them.

"f***ing idiots burned a 5th OA in a deep draft on a player we all knew wasn't coming over!"

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
LOL I've already stated at this time without all the information that Michkov at 5 is a hill I'm willing to die on. So in essence my line in the sand has been drawn. It's called conviction. I would hope Hughes has the same conviction when he steps up to the podium when he selects whomever he chooses.

And I always do me. I can't be anyone else. I the person will be fine with whatever happens draft day. The hockey fan if not Matvei disappointed. Thanks for the exchange.

As you can see I got plenty of ammo. :P
You're Michkov all the way. No problem, I hope they take Michkov as well. I'm just not going insane over it. And won't if they don't take him either.

As long as you remember, we're on the same f***ing team lol.
Don't be a child and pull that cookie shit again just because your feathers were ruffled a bit because you dont like what you hear from someone on the other side of the debate.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Im starting to hate the rebuild because draft has become absurdly toxic the last two yrs, much worse then the actual season.

Armchair scouts screaming Leonard is awful at 5 despite scouts having him at 6. He is a grinder only

Benson too small, Reinbacher ceiling not enough, every reson under the sun to say management are too dumb, and we know my fave prospect will be the sure fire star.

None of use know, least try and have some rational posts. I would take Michkov but i have to answer to no one. Not going to go apeshit because they deem this risk too much of him never coming over

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
You're Michkov all the way. No problem, I hope they take Michkov as well. I'm just not going insane over it. And won't if they don't take him either.

Don't be a child and pull that cookie shit again just because your feathers were ruffled a bit because you dont like what you hear from someone on the other side of the debate.

I have no problem with anyone's counterpoints anyone can feel how they feel. (as long as they make sense) ;)

I take offense when people put words in my mouth, such as yourself saying I'm married to Michkov being a surefire superstar at this level, or if this is my 1st rodeo through a draft. Or another saying I equated Michkov to Gretzky to make some strawman argument. The only thing I'm married to at this time without all the context is Michkov being the right choice at 5. The only thing I can think I can say I stuck my neck out on, is that at minimal he's Cole Caufield, or that I'd be willing to wager he's better than Will Smith when all's said and done.

These are not debate tactics. They're disingenuous. We are definitely on the same team, it's why I'm so passionate that they don't mess up this extremely important pick towards our future.

Hopefully we've come to an understanding and can shake hands on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is exactly right.

There is no flip side for me. I’m just looking for Hughes and his people to conduct as thorough a due diligence process as they can muster.

I know they will do that because I get the impression that Hughes and Gorton espouse those standards.

After that, let the chips fall where they may.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Climb down from your pedestal FFS, all your replies to him were childish AF, spinning what he said. The way you first reacted and the subsequent posts were not calm, nor rational. A calm rational person doesn't need to do what you did. You're the one who seems like his feathers were ruffled. Look in the mirror for the insanity. Putting words into people's mouth does not equate them having their feathers ruffled. The need to put words in his mouth does though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I’m going to go on a limb and say Ryan Leonard will never again be compared to Patrice Bergeron. Much like how Juraj Slafkovksky will never again be compared to Jaromir Jagr. Habs fans tend to get carried away.

Think about his more likely outcome.

And I'm curious....what's the most likely outcome for Michkov?
And before you answer.....try not to be one of those habs fans getting carried away

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think I'm at a point where all this Michkov drama makes wish that the Habs will troll the draft. Like trade the #5 pick just before it's their turn to pick.

Reactions: Runner77

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Listen, i agree.

Lets just make some points clear.

1) Michkov is not a guaranteed 100 points player.

2) Michkov might not be available at 2.

3) The team that just won the SC acquired its two stars forward via 2 trades and its 1D in free agency.

4) Leonard might be a 100 points player although its not envision here. (I would bet on Michkov between them both tho, but its a possibility).

We should expand the debate a bit more than Michkov elite the rest grinder.
Nobody said this btw, I said we shouldn’t try to turn Michkov into a grinder

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lots of Avs fans were pissed in 2017 when they lost the lottery.

They ended up drafting that bum Cale Makar instead.

The equivalent of Makar in this draft is Michkov though, not Leonard.

Makar had elite talent but fell due to his risks (was playing against weak competition and there weren't many Makar-like players in the nhl).

Michkov is in the same situation where he has elite talent but could fall due to his risks.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
And before you answer.....try not to be one of those habs fans getting carried away
I think he will be better than Caufield. More dynamic and more fluid, very mean shot. Can be relied on to be a dangerous weapon in any game we play. 70pts/season sorta player as a floor, and that’s if he’s inconsistent and not up to par physically.

I don’t see 70pts in the NHL for Leonard as his floor.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Im starting to hate the rebuild because draft has become absurdly toxic the last two yrs, much worse then the actual season.

Armchair scouts screaming Leonard is awful at 5 despite scouts having him at 6. He is a grinder only

Benson too small, Reinbacher ceiling not enough, every reson under the sun to say management are too dumb, and we know my fave prospect will be the sure fire star.

None of use know, least try and have some rational posts. I would take Michkov but i have to answer to no one. Not going to go apeshit because they deem this risk too much of him never coming over

In Michkov case, more than anyone actually, interviews will play a major role.
Scouts, GM, Insiders....everyone agree with this one.
Since we don't and won't have access to that part, it become almost impossible to make a good judgment call as fans....and it sucks.

PLUS...the owner has his word to say on this one and this is an owner who were not really comfortable with Subban as one of the face of the franchise.....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Imagine Hughes take Michkov at 5. If Smith gone.

Doesn't sound like he's crazy about Michkov but he's highly tradeable in future. Habs double their money on him in 2-3 years. Whomever they take Reinbacher, Leonard, Benson no help for couple years anyway.

If we trade down to Caps at 8, need big return. Enough to flip for another Dach

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There is no flip side for me. I’m just looking for Hughes and his people to conduct as thorough a due diligence process as they can muster.

I know they will do that because I get the impression that Hughes and Gorton espouse those standards.

After that, let the chips fall where they may.
Yes, that's the flip side I'm speaking of. If they don't take him, they have their reasons. If they do take him, I admire their courage.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Even the pro scouts make mistakes... plus they have WAY more info... I'm just really excited to see the real list come out on draft day.

I think Michkov may have a career similar to Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
You tell me McDavid and Smith are related and I would believe it.

Smith-Leonard-Vote-1.jpg

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think I'm at a point where all this Michkov drama makes wish that the Habs will troll the draft. Like trade the #5 pick just before it's their turn to pick.
It has to be an option on the table. Especially if they can’t get San Jose to bend.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, that's the flip side I'm speaking of. If they don't take him, they have their reasons. If they do take him, I admire their courage.
Again, it’s not a flip side from my standpoint. Whether they take him or not, I choose to fully trust them to leave no stone unturned. I get the sense that I wouldn’t have been able to count on that high level of due diligence say with prior management.

I’m assuming that there will be drafting teams who will not have gone as in depth as the Habs will have gone in managing their risk and arriving at their ultimate decision. All I’m saying is as long as they do this, it doesn’t matter to me whether they select Michkov or not.

I’m glad I’m not on the hot seat for whatever comes out of this process. I suspect there will be a high F-bomb ratio in the war room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad