Confirmed with Link: Canadiens trade for Christian Dvorak for Cond. '22 1st (best but top 10 protected) + '24 2nd Part II

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Lets say we finish 9 but team 11 and 12 somehow win the lottery and picks up 5 spots, we go from 9 to 11 and lose our pick?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Totally disagree on this. He got a GM to say yes to a top 10 protected pick. I would of never agree to that, basically ensuring that I don't get a top end player. If we finish 11 yes it sucks, but can't put that on Bergy. He actually tried to not make this trade awful.

Dvorak was available at the draft for a first round pick plus. But the first was the element they wanted for Dvorak (Coyotes GM confirmed this).

MB opted to select Mailloux than use the pick to get Dvorak.

Dvorak remained available through the off season. No team stepped up to pay a first for him.

After the KK offersheet, MB finally agrees to pay the first price because he painted himself into a corner.

Instead of easily negotiating the fact the Coyotes get the lower of the 2 firsts. He does not properly assess the likely finish of the team (not bad enough for top 10 and not good enough to make the playoffs) and has put himself in a position where he gives a first in the teens of a deep draft for a player no tiger team would give a first for, and lose 10+ spots in the first round.

Terrible asset management.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dvorak was available at the draft for a first round pick plus. But the first was the element they wanted for Dvorak (Coyotes GM confirmed this).

MB opted to select Mailloux than use the pick to get Dvorak.

Dvorak remained available through the off season. No team stepped up to pay a first for him.

After the KK offersheet, MB finally agrees to pay the first price because he painted himself into a corner.

Instead of easily negotiating the fact the Coyotes get the lower of the 2 firsts. He does not properly assess the likely finish of the team (not bad enough for top 10 and not good enough to make the playoffs) and has put himself in a position where he gives a first in the teens of a deep draft for a player no tiger team would give a first for, and lose 10+ spots in the first round.

Terrible asset management.

agreed, instead of Mailoux, we could have Dvorak and KK leaving Evans as the 4th center and they could trade Poehling or put him on the wing. Of course with the way KK was handled here, it does look like the best thing for him was to go somewhere else.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't believe that's correct, the new lotto rules go into place for the '22 draft, only 1 through 11 teams will be in the drawing if I understand correctly.

Teams can only move up 10 spots in the draft, but all the teams that miss the playoffs will be involved in the draft.

The restriction on teams moving up more than 10 places in the first round means the bottom 11 teams in the standings are eligible to win the No. 1 pick. The bottom 12 teams would then be eligible for the No. 2 pick if one of them doesn't win the first drawing.

The 15 teams that fail to qualify for the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the expansion Seattle Kraken, who begin play in the 2021-22 NHL season, will be involved in the 2021 lottery. The 2022 NHL Draft Lottery will include the 16 teams that miss the playoffs next season.

Reactions: montreal

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
All MB needs to do now is rid us of Drouin, and there wouldn't be a single forward on this team I dislike. I would think Drouin @ 50% retained would have some value. Get it done, MB!

Keep Drouin... friends with Anderson...need his offense... arguably, our best forward through the first three games.

Reactions: HankyZetts

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Keep Drouin... friends with Anderson...need his offense... arguably, our best forward through the first three games.

First, as long as JD isn't terrible, he isn't going anywhere. MB cannot effectively admit another bad trade.

Second, why in the world would anybody argue to get rid of JD right now. He has what, 50% of the team's goals? He's looked very good. Consistently one of the best forward so far. Who knows how long it will last, but as long as he continues what he's been doing, he's a valuable part of this team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lets say we finish 9 but team 11 and 12 somehow win the lottery and picks up 5 spots, we go from 9 to 11 and lose our pick?
We could also finish 22nd and be shceduled for the 1th pick, but Carolina wins the lottery and climbs into the top and then we get to keep that pick.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
First, as long as JD isn't terrible, he isn't going anywhere. MB cannot effectively admit another bad trade.

Second, why in the world would anybody argue to get rid of JD right now. He has what, 50% of the team's goals? He's looked very good. Consistently one of the best forward so far. Who knows how long it will last, but as long as he continues what he's been doing, he's a valuable part of this team.

I would trade Gallagher and Toffoli over Drouin personally... Gallagher has become one of the most redundant players in the league while Toffoli lackS IQ.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
I would trade Gallagher and Toffoli over Drouin personally... Gallagher has become one of the most redundant players in the league while Toffoli lackS IQ.
I love Gallagher but he's been playing like a plug the past few years nothing special, and he seems very slow out there. Time to trade him. He can't keep playing the way he does and keep being effective

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I love Gallagher but he's been playing like a plug the past few years nothing special, and he seems very slow out there. Time to trade him. He can't keep playing the way he does and keep being effective

I would say its too late to trade him. Pretty sure he’s got negative value right now and it aint gonna get any better soon

Reactions: HankyZetts

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I just cant stand him on the PP anymore, he kills plays. Big heart, top end competitor and will do everything to score, but he just doesnt have the skills to play with skilled players. He had good chimestry with Danault because both were north south net crashers, but as soon as you play him with talended linemates, it doesnt work, he has no vision, no playmaking skills and rough hands.

Impossible to not like his level of dedication and commitment, but now that Danault is gone, he looks redundant as a hockey player. We also have Rafael Harvey-Pinard in the minors that projects to be a pretty similar player to Gallagher, so I wouldnt mind trading Gally in order to gain space on the cap... Also, you trade Gally and you are basically certain to get a top 10 pick this year since his leadership will be missed.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I would say its too late to trade him. Pretty sure he’s got negative value right now and it aint gonna get any better soon
Ya no one would want a heart and soul 30g average guy that can play up and down the lineup.
Because three games.

small sample size much?

Reactions: 417 and Habs4Life

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Plug? Past few years?

Nothing special? As in 30G+ and 82GP each of last two full regular seasons and 30G+ pace each of last two Covid seasons including 80GP pace 19-20 season which was shortened due to Covid?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Ya no one would want a heart and soul 30g average guy that can play up and down the lineup.
Because three games.

small sample size much?

Last 25 games played, 2G 4A 6pts. When you look at him play the game, you can just see that he’s lost something. 7 more years at 6.5M isn’t gonna aged well and im sure pretty much everybody in the hockey world knows that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Last 25 games played, 2G 4A 6pts. When you look at him play the game, you can just see that he’s lost something. 7 more years at 6.5M isn’t gonna aged well and im sure pretty much everybody in the hockey world knows that.

Why are you counting the playoffs when he was pigeonholed on a shutdown line with two offensively inept linemates?

For some reason it was okay for Danault to only have 4 points all playoffs and we should have re-signed him. But Gallagher doing the same work as him and having more points is unacceptable.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Plug? Past few years?

Nothing special? As in 30G+ and 82GP each of last two full regular seasons and 30G+ pace each of last two Covid seasons including 80GP pace 19-20 season which was shortened due to Covid?
Yeah helped us so much with his 6 points in the playoffs lol

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah helped us so much with his 6 points in the playoffs lol

I mean he scored the key goal in Game 7 vs the Leafs. Scored the GWG against the Jets in Game 1 when it could have gone either way. Made a nice play for the series clinching goal against Vegas. So while I understand wanting more points from him, the ones he did get were key. That’s from playing with two offensive black holes as linemates.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
agreed, instead of Mailoux, we could have Dvorak and KK leaving Evans as the 4th center and they could trade Poehling or put him on the wing. Of course with the way KK was handled here, it does look like the best thing for him was to go somewhere else.
This team has no chance of making playoffs. Mass injuries, aging leaders... if we are to find some silver lining in this year, it is to develop the young guys to play within a solid system.
Issue remains, again and again, our C depth.
It's time to bite the bullet and find an amicable trade option for Eichel.
A team with Eichel at 1C, Suzuki at 2C, Dvorak at 3C is an amazing lineup for 6-7 years.
Just do it... eichel is a write off for this season, and our season is already a writeoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad