Confirmed with Link: Canadiens trade for Christian Dvorak for Cond. '22 1st (best but top 10 protected) + '24 2nd Part II

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Yup! Regardless if they are both top 10 protected, the trade stipulates Canes get the higher pick unless one or both 1st rounders are top 10.

If the picks are 8 and 17 Canes get 17.
If the pics are 11 and 21, Canes get 11.

canes?

Reactions: Habs13

Sforza86

Feb 24, 2020
This could end up pretty ugly…

Worst case scenario MTL 1st will be 11-16OA while CAR 1st will be 25+OA (this is a pretty likely scenario in my opinion)

In this case with the big losses, MTL wastes another season in mediocrity while CAR makes a good run in the playoffs. Kotka with the right guidance and sheltering might develop into a good/great middle 6 center, meanwhile Dvorak only helps us getting out of top10 territory.

That would mean a disastrous summer centerwise:

In: Dvorak+3rd
Out: Danault+Kotka+2nd+ we lose 10-15 spots in the 1st round…

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Worst case scenario MTL 1st will be 11-16OA while CAR 1st will be 25+OA (this is a pretty likely scenario in my opinion)

In this case with the big losses, MTL wastes another season in mediocrity while CAR makes a good run in the playoffs. Kotka with the right guidance and sheltering might develop into a good/great middle 6 center, meanwhile Dvorak only helps us getting out of top10 territory.

Can you explain me the logic behind the process of getting to that scenario?

I mean you decided to go there on yourself while you could've gone into a positive side...

Puzzling...

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
the first time in MBs tenure he has traded away a first round pick, and its for a 30 point player :huh:

Sforza86

Feb 24, 2020
Can you explain me the logic behind the process of getting to that scenario?

I mean you decided to go there on yourself while you could've gone into a positive side...

Puzzling...

First I sas this could (and not that it 100% will) end up pretty ugly…

Second: Why I think that it has pretty fair probability? I think that by losing Weber, Danault, Tatar, Kotka and Perry (while not addressing the huge hole in our LHD-depth) our roster got worse (while I admit Hoffmann, Dvorak and Savard are nice additions, they wont make it up for me for the assets, we just lost) while facing a stronger div.

Right now i think Canes are quite a good team (Svech-Aho-Necas-Niederreiter-TT-Stepan-Staal + Kotka (and good/okay fringe players) in the forward section + Slavin-Skjei-Gardiner-Pesce-Cole-DeAngelo in D). For me they are a playoff team. They arent Tampa, who are pretty much a no-brainer for the PO, but they have a strong chance IMO.

Of course there’s a chance for the best outcome (Canes collapsing bad, so the Canes pick will end up even the 1st OA or so, while we make a good PO-run, so Zona end up with a late first, while Habs acquiring a lottery pick). For me the worse scenario is more likely.

I doubt that the Canes pick will be top10, so if we get the better pick, that might mean that we are a bottom10-caliber team (so we should have gone for a rebuild instead of trading a 1st+2nd for a mid6 C). In other cases we might lose several spots in the 1st round due to this trade.

And even if I ignore these speculations a mid-late 1st + a 2nd is a steep price for Dvorak

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
This is the first time in MB's tenure that he received a 1st for a 30 point player.

but that isnt an excuse to flush a first round pick down the toilet for another 30 point player,

why not put a better package together for something better?....you know, to try to actually improve the team?

isnt that what trades are supposed to accomplish?

Dvorak for KK isnt improving anything

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick

Or... KK never progresses, the 1st and 2nd picks don't pan out and Montreal ends up with the only NHL caliber player out of the whole thing. Just as likely a scenario as yours. In fact, probably more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad