Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign first round pick Nikita Scherbak to a three-year contract

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I really like this kid and his skill set. I think he's our best 1st rounder (not in top 5) in a loooong time. I like this pick more than the Pacioretty one at the time.

He has that never quit, never stop improving attitude that is hard to find and an amazing skill set to match AND size. If he wasn't Russian, he'd have gone top 10 IMO. He was a true steal of a pick for us.

Hopefully he'll have a bright future and take Galchenyuks spot on the wing once he moves to centre.

Unless Scherbak and Pacioretty had been available in the same draft your comparison is in tatters, Why take a sidewise swipe at Pacioretty? Obviously he was a great pick at #22 whereas you don't know how Scherbak will fare until he actually plays in the NHL. The point: don't confuse your fancies with fact. Try waiting a few years until Scherbak scores 39 goals in a season

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Wanna have a look at what Scherbak was before the draft? Wanna know his nickname in Saskatoon?
Have a good read: http://thehockeywriters.com/predraft-interview-with-habs-prospect-nikita-scherbak/

I love that the Scherbinator says "a man always wants the best". that being said before the draft. TT being the best Head Scout in hockey, picked him for the best team ever in the NHL and hockey. Now it's all up to the Ultra talented youngster too follow through with his training this summer, a great training camp, then a outstanding 2nd WHL season for the best rookie in the WHL during 2013-2014. My take is the Habs may have the biggest surprise pick out of the 2014 Entry Draft in Scherbak. Hamilton could ice a line next season with Connor Crisp -Mike McCarron - Scherbak that could be a real fan favorite in Hamilton. Three forwards that give a total effort, are all NHL sized first and foremost, and know their roles, Hamilton would really appreciate these types of players. I know that they deserve a prototypical NHL line like that too watch and cheer for after these last couple of years developing defencemen.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Unless Scherbak and Pacioretty had been available in the same draft your comparison is in tatters, Why take a sidewise swipe at Pacioretty? Obviously he was a great pick at #22 whereas you don't know how Scherbak will fare until he actually plays in the NHL. The point: don't confuse your fancies with fact. Try waiting a few years until Scherbak scores 39 goals in a season

He said he likes the pick more than pacioretty 'at the time'. Patches wasn't supposed to be a 39 goal scorer, (whitesnake can gladly correct me if I'm wrong) he was seen mostly as a playmaker and he didn't develop this shoot first attitude until he played with David (Max said as much in an interview I remember). What's wrong with what he said?

I was pretty ambivalent about te patches pick to the time, I'm not about Nikita. See how that works

You've been grouchy lately...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Patches wasn't supposed to be a 39 goal scorer, (whitesnake can gladly correct me if I'm wrong)

Very rare are the 40 goal scorers drafted past the top 5 nowadays. But, I was seeing Max as a scorer first(the writing was on the wall: a superb athlete with size, strength and a booming shot rarely develop into playmakers) more than a passer and I had the succinct feeling he could be a 30+ goals guy if everything was to come together(it did, slowly, if we remember).

My theory is the following: At the highest level, players do what they can more than what they want. At an extreme level of competition you win because you can exploit gaps. Maxpac wanted to be a playmakers, however there was/is so much more gaps for him to exploit with his body and shot. As a playmaker he's a 40 pts guy. As a power forward / sniper, he's a 70 pts guy. It's all about gap management.

At this point, I'm 50-50 on Scherbak, I think he has good tools, but I don't feel he has much elite tools. For him it's more about figuring out his balance and then improving his athleticism. If successful, his gaps will come in multiple different ways, not one precise facet like Max.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He said he likes the pick more than pacioretty 'at the time'. Patches wasn't supposed to be a 39 goal scorer, (whitesnake can gladly correct me if I'm wrong) he was seen mostly as a playmaker and he didn't develop this shoot first attitude until he played with David (Max said as much in an interview I remember). What's wrong with what he said?

I was pretty ambivalent about te patches pick to the time, I'm not about Nikita. See how that works

Why are you burdening me with your nitpicking? It must mean something important to you.

Pacioretty and Scherbak were not available at the same time, so his statement is as meaningless as showing a preference for vanilla or root beer. "Liking" is subjective. I liked the Pacioretty pick at the time and I also liked the Scherbak pick, not that my saying so means much to anyone. I prefer vanilla, by the way. So there, write a legal brief about it if it pleases you! Grouchy as I am, I promise I'll read it.

Joey

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario

What comparison? He said Scherbak is his favourite post-draft non-top 5 pick in a long time, Pacioretty included. Are you really trying to tear a guy apart for liking the Scherbak pick more now than he liked the Pacioretty pick the same amount of time after the '07 draft?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why are you burdening me with your nitpicking? It must mean something important to you.

Pacioretty and Scherbak were not available at the same time, so his statement is as meaningless as showing a preference for vanilla or root beer. "Liking" is subjective. I liked the Pacioretty pick at the time and I also liked the Scherbak pick, not that my saying so means much to anyone. I prefer vanilla, by the way. So there, write a legal brief about it if it pleases you! Grouchy as I am, I promise I'll read it.

There is something endearing about someone who embraces his inner curmudgeon. Yes, you are grouchy, but it's a pitch-perfect tone for you.

This isn't a left-handed compliment; I genuinely enjoy your posts.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

The quote below is spot on. I have no idea what player Scherbak will develop into but I think we got a steal of a player at that postion. If he wasn't Russian, he would have gone much higher in the draft. His personality seems a perfect fit to the tpe of players we're drafting and developing in that he has a really positive attitude and has an inredible can do attitude matched with his work ethic. I can see why the comaprisons are there with Galchenyuk and hopefully he can develop into a star player if he keeps going at the pace he's on right now.

Besides that, I think Patches is our best offensive player right now and one of the future corner stones on this team. If Scherbak can develop and become a fraction of the player Patches has become, we'll all be very happy with him!

I was pretty ambivalent about the patches pick at the time, I'm not about Nikita. See how that works

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
That low...?

Well, he looked a bit overwhelmed during this summer prospect camp, and he's still quite raw and won't be wasting his time playing a second year in the CHL so...

Unless he comes and play like a God, he's most certainly going back in Junior.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
0.5% chance

dbVZQ.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So, just curious guys, what kind of chance does the kid make the team out of camp? 25%-50% ?? Any thoughts?

Habs can afford to be patient. Galchenyuk made the team as an 18 year old although Scherbinator is not at the Galchenyuk level. Depends on how strong he is....
I doubt he makes it but he has the size...if he shows he can keep up....who knows

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
That low...?

Has a player picked outside the top-20 ever made it into the NHL right out of the draft? Maybe once? There's no reason Scherbak will be any different, especially because we can afford to give him the time he needs to develop.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Has a player picked outside the top-20 ever made it into the NHL right out of the draft? Maybe once? There's no reason Scherbak will be any different, especially because we can afford to give him the time he needs to develop.

O'Reilly and Perron? So yeah, that's pretty exceptionnal. Scherbak is way to raw to make the jump right now but hey, I guess nobody though O'Reilly would play with the Avs right away after being picked in the second round.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
O'Reilly and Perron? So yeah, that's pretty exceptionnal. Scherbak is way to raw to make the jump right now but hey, I guess nobody though O'Reilly would play with the Avs right away after being picked in the second round.

Don't forget stefan matteau in 2012. Also Patrice Bergeron, but I might be wrong about him.

PricePkPatch*

I dont care if he plays or not this year. I just hope this homerun-tentative pick really go beyond the fences and becomes a permanent fixture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad