Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign first round pick Nikita Scherbak to a three-year contract

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Can't help but wonder if this managements philosophy will end up costing us a compensatory 2nd round pick some time in the future. Every year we seem to be signing guys a year or two before they're even going to be in the AHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can't help but wonder if this managements philosophy will end up costing us a compensatory 2nd round pick some time in the future. Every year we seem to be signing guys a year or two before they're even going to be in the AHL.

AFAIK, you don't get compensatory picks for CHL guys. You get one for 1st rounder NCAA guys to which you offered a contract but they didn't sign.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

This happens to pretty much all first round picks... It's an incentive I would assume

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

You only get the pick if you offer a contract and they reject.

We are offering the contract, why would he reject?

Unless the player refuses to play for you the only time they reject otherwise is like college/university players who want to extend their studies before going pro.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Since the new CBA, every team is signing their top prospects early. This is not specific to habs management.

I also fail to see how this could potentially cost us a compensatory draft pick, I might be missing something, sorry!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Signing early reduces the caphit slightly since the signing bonus is spread out over more years. The compensation pick is only with college players so far we haven't gone that route with any of our 1st round picks under Bergevin. It will be interesting to see what happens when we do.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Since the new CBA, every team is signing their top prospects early. This is not specific to habs management.

I also fail to see how this could potentially cost us a compensatory draft pick, I might be missing something, sorry!

In the old CBA (not sure if it is still like this), if your 1st round pick refuses a contract and is then unsigned, you are entitled to a compensatory 2nd round pick which is 30 spots later than where you picked the player. For example, the Habs got a 2nd round pick for David Fischer not signing.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Signing early reduces the caphit slightly since the signing bonus is spread out over more years. The compensation pick is only with college players so far we haven't gone that route with any of our 1st round picks under Bergevin. It will be interesting to see what happens when we do.

Didn't they remove that "loophole" for NCAA players in the new CBA?

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In the old CBA (not sure if it is still like this), if your 1st round pick refuses a contract and is then unsigned, you are entitled to a compensatory 2nd round pick which is 30 spots later than where you picked the player. For example, the Habs got a 2nd round pick for David Fischer not signing.

For NCAA players only, and I don't think that is still applicable but I might be mistaking.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
For NCAA players only, and I don't think that is still applicable but I might be mistaking.

It is still applicable, I just looked it up. The Jets received pick #59 for not signing Daultan Leveille last year.

And I think it was for any player. Not just NCAA players.

Last edited:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
What's with all the second guessing of every move and non-move made by the team?

We have signed our newest first round pick in what has become standard procedure throughout the league. Let's not start criticizing every single standard procedure every single time.

Let's wait for a tangible mistake to do so.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Great to see. Nice gift for the kid who deserves it and be a great ambassador for the team.

Hockeywise, he'll show what he can do the day he gets out of the "Oh my god, oh my god, the Habs picked me" syndrom...;) Kid looked tentative at dev. camp and yet you clearly see the tons of talent he has. Can't wait to see when he'll show it. Scary future this kid has.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
stop wasting time and MB and sign PK!!@?!?!?!

really happy for the kid, cant wait to see what he does at camp

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Up to him to steal a spot in camp.

Don't think this is possible. As many people have said during the development camp, he has the tools but he's very raw. I think it would be a mistake in his development for him to make the team, especially since Therrien would only play him 7 minutes a game on the 4th line. He would turn him into a bust.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I like the picture of him, presumably signing his contract, here on nhl.com

Seems like a genuinely good natured kid. Of course, those interviews of him on draft day were gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad