Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign first round pick Nikita Scherbak to a three-year contract

PricePkPatch*

Lets steer the conversation back to Sherby.

Based on what we have seen at the prospect training camp, how can off from the NHL do you project him to be? 2-3 years? Moar?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Based on what we have seen at the prospect training camp, how can off from the NHL do you project him to be? 2-3 years? Moar?

He made great strides last year. If he continues to do that, he could play in the NHL at 19. If not, I'd see him up at 21 or 22 years old.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The big camp will be a good measuring stick to ascertain where he is development wise. The talent and size is there for him to make it fairly quickly I think, if he can mature physically this season it might very well be his last in the WHL. I don't see him going back for a third one.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Early but...taking a shot at it....I project he has a big year as 19 year old in junior and makes Habs 2015-16 season. Unless suffers major injury of course. I guess this because he has offensive skill, you can't teach that. Seems like its combo of hand-eye coordination, prepiral vision and rapid decision making. You can't force it on people, either they have it or they don't. Scherbak more of a Galchenyuk type than a MacCarron or Tinordi type. Those kind of guys traditionally finish junior career, then needs couple of years at AHL level to tighten up their game.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Not this signing in general. Just Bergevin's philosophy on giving guys ELCs before they earn it. A 2nd round pick in 2015 for example may be better than McCarron.

Yeah except McCarron needs to REFUSE to sign for us to get a pick. Doesn't matter when the contact is offered. If he knows he's busting, he'll sign anything, therefore your point doesn't stand.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Yeah except McCarron needs to REFUSE to sign for us to get a pick. Doesn't matter when the contact is offered. If he knows he's busting, he'll sign anything, therefore your point doesn't stand.

Just like David Fischer?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

You can offer a contract immediately after the draft with no performance bonuses and most first rounders agents will reject it. You don't have to offer them another contract for the rest of the period I'm fairly certain.

GoHabsGo312711*

He reminds me of Valeri Nichushkin... but without physical play.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The big camp will be a good measuring stick to ascertain where he is development wise. The talent and size is there for him to make it fairly quickly I think, if he can mature physically this season it might very well be his last in the WHL. I don't see him going back for a third one.

We also need to have a good top 9 spot available for him in a year or two if we want him to make the jump, I dont want this kid to puck around too much.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

He's AHL eligible in two years so it's highly unlikely he'll be in junior.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Or like the TSN Newsflash at the bottom screen was saying when Nikita signed his contract.....Montreal Canadiens announced that their 1st rounder Nikita ScherBANK signed a contract...."

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I have high hops for this kid. I'm not sure exactly what I expect from him, but it was a much better decision than we made last year. We always seem to follow boneheaded decisions with great drafts. 06 was followed by 07 and 13 followed by this one.

Halifaxhab*

I have high hops for this kid. I'm not sure exactly what I expect from him, but it was a much better decision than we made last year. We always seem to follow boneheaded decisions with great drafts. 06 was followed by 07 and 13 followed by this one.

I think comparing '13 draft to the '06 draft or the '07 draft to this one is very premature, while non have stepped into the bigs yet. Our top 4 picks (from '13) all have a great chance at making the league. You also may not like McCarron, but he hasn't reached David Fisher level of poster boy for busts.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I really like this kid and his skill set. I think he's our best 1st rounder (not in top 5) in a loooong time. I like this pick more than the Pacioretty one at the time.

He has that never quit, never stop improving attitude that is hard to find and an amazing skill set to match AND size. If he wasn't Russian, he'd have gone top 10 IMO. He was a true steal of a pick for us.

Hopefully he'll have a bright future and take Galchenyuks spot on the wing once he moves to centre.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think comparing '13 draft to the '06 draft or the '07 draft to this one is very premature, while non have stepped into the bigs yet. Our top 4 picks (from '13) all have a great chance at making the league. You also may not like McCarron, but he hasn't reached David Fisher level of poster boy for busts.

Mac showed more in his first camp last year than Fischer ever did in pretty much all his appearances combined if you ask me...Plus He's already pro sized, Fischer was ridiculously skinny from the get go and then because of illness and various injuries barely even got to the 190 pounds mark ( On a 6ft3 frame) by the time we let him go.
I still remember reading Whitesnake's various reports back then and how surprised he was at how poor his shot was, how unpolished he was in pretty much every aspect,could not make a simple pass,etc... All in all, Mac has already passed the David Fischer line in my book.

Halifaxhab*

Mac showed more in his first camp last year than Fischer ever did in pretty much all his appearances combined if you ask me...Plus He's already pro sized, Fischer was ridiculously skinny from the get go and then because of illness and various injuries barely even got to the 190 pounds mark ( On a 6ft3 frame) by the time we let him go.
I still remember reading Whitesnake's various reports back then and how surprised he was at how poor his shot was, how unpolished he was in pretty much every aspect,could not make a simple pass,etc... All in all, Mac has already passed the David Fischer line in my book.

Mac will make it, the question with him is if he can be a top 6 or not.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Very little (something like 50$ a week), but that contract signing will give him a nice bonus, even thought he has yet to turn pro.

50 bucks a week buys a lot of kraft dinner. Nothing to sneeze at gentlemen. I think he's overpaid.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

If he's not..that's not necessarily a bad thing..means other prospects (Scherbak epsecially) are panning out as expected. The club is well fortified on the wing for the future, unlike any other position.

Three years from now it will be expected that Patch, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and likely Scherbak (or Sekac) will be the top four wingers. Do people expect McCarron to beat out any of those four players? No. Yet do many think that will make him a bust? Yes.

There's no disputing that Scherbak has more offensive upside..but he was also a first-round pick, as were Chuck and Patch. No shame in not beating out those guys, or Gallagher for that matter. Lots of NHL first-round picks (including top ten picks) have been surpassed already on the league's depth chart by Gally.

Even if Chucky ends up at center.... Sekac, Bournival, DLR, Lehkonen, Hudon, Audette, Bozon, Thomas, Reway and others will be battling Mac for a top four winger position, not to mention the possibility of a top 60 pick from the 2015 draft being a skilled winger who is in the mix as well. There's also the possibility of an offensive winger being traded for or signed in free agency over the next 3 years, and perhaps even Parenteau or Bourque are still around and producing.

For me McCarron brings qualities that are ideally suited as an effective third liner on a good team. I don't want Hudon, Lehkonen, Audette, Reway, etc. playing in third line roles...I want them competing for second-line wing or fourth line/spare. For me the third line is the ideal spot for McCarron unless all of the other offensive prospects don't pan out, and there's plenty. That doesn't mean he couldn't be inserted on PP's to stand in front of the net and kill penalties, and end up getting as much ice time as the second-line wingers on many nights while bringing a physical dimension no other winger can provide.

You have to look at Montreal's depth chart to be realistic about McCarron. I could see the Habs employing a third line with Sekac, de la Rose and McCarron in three year's time or so. If not DLR, then Eller as the center. That may be a very effective two-way line with excellent size on a strong team.

To ascertain that McCarron will be a bust if he's not a top-six forward because he was a first-round pick is a narrow minded view of the situation. If the Habs were a crappy team with no forward depth then yes...it would be disappointing if he wasn't a top-six forward, but frankly, right now the Habs may have the best long-term winger depth in the league.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he's not..that's not necessarily a bad thing..means other prospects (Scherbak epsecially) are panning out as expected. The club is well fortified on the wing for the future, unlike any other position.

Three years from now it will be expected that Patch, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and likely Scherbak (or Sekac) will be the top four wingers. Do people expect McCarron to beat out any of those four players? No. Yet do many think that will make him a bust? Yes.

There's no disputing that Scherbak has more offensive upside..but he was also a first-round pick, as were Chuck and Patch. No shame in not beating out those guys, or Gallagher for that matter. Lots of NHL first-round picks (including top ten picks) have been surpassed already on the league's depth chart by Gally.

Even if Chucky ends up at center.... Sekac, Bournival, DLR, Lehkonen, Hudon, Audette, Bozon, Thomas, Reway and others will be battling Mac for a top four winger position, not to mention the possibility of a top 60 pick from the 2015 draft being a skilled winger who is in the mix as well. There's also the possibility of an offensive winger being traded for or signed in free agency over the next 3 years, and perhaps even Parenteau or Bourque are still around and producing.

For me McCarron brings qualities that are ideally suited as an effective third liner on a good team. I don't want Hudon, Lehkonen, Audette, Reway, etc. playing in third line roles...I want them competing for second-line wing or fourth line/spare. For me the third line is the ideal spot for McCarron unless all of the other offensive prospects don't pan out, and there's plenty. That doesn't mean he couldn't be inserted on PP's to stand in front of the net and kill penalties, and end up getting as much ice time as the second-line wingers on many nights while bringing a physical dimension no other winger can provide.

You have to look at Montreal's depth chart to be realistic about McCarron. I could see the Habs employing a third line with Sekac, de la Rose and McCarron in three year's time or so. If not DLR, then Eller as the center. That may be a very effective two-way line with excellent size on a strong team.

To ascertain that McCarron will be a bust if he's not a top-six forward because he was a first-round pick is a narrow minded view of the situation. If the Habs were a crappy team with no forward depth then yes...it would be disappointing if he wasn't a top-six forward, but frankly, right now the Habs may have the best long-term winger depth in the league.

I agree with your views, but if Chucky is still on the wings three years from now, we will have a huge bust on our hand and something wrong would have been done.

I dread this day.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

The big problem here is that most posters are under the belief that the best teams are built with high scoring super talented players. There simply aren't enough players in the world and Salary Cap restraints won't permit such teams. On top of that teams need players that show up every night and play with their head in the game/all game. The small thinking is while they are talking to friends and applauding scoring replays they are fans that know how the game is played. Nothing too see/ I mean learn here! A lot have never read any books on hockey and probably many more haven't watched the Habs play every game in one season ever. It seems that we are all under the illusion that with scant knowledge, we know the best players to build a team with. Far more knowledgeable than those that learned from rookies like Sam Pollock/Scotty Bowman and hundreds of people that invested their lifetime into careers in hockey. I find it frustrating as a fan reading some of the uneducated crap written here, I really can't imagine how infuriating it must be for people that can glance at a player and size up their deficiencies. Then be told, not asked why things or prospects are important, their ego's won't allow them to think someone could actually educate them on a topic. Too many apprentices I've had in my life like that, know it all five minutes in and it's a fight to try too help them learn, NO THANK YOU PLEASE!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad