Post-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Rangers: "These refs suck"

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
A poorly designed team

This is all on Sather.

It's over folks. The era that started with the previous lockout has ended. We had an OK team for a few years, that was better than OK in a couple of those years. But it has run it's course and the coaching change was just a desperation move by Sather to keep things going.

AV is not going to bring us a miracle even if Nash comes back at some point. Torts squeezed all he could out of the rosters he had to work with, and that will only get you so far.

"I don't want the best players, I want the right players"

We have neither. We have some decent talent, but we don't play as a team. Massive trades in the near future coming and at this point, and even though I've come to like some of our guys, I'll welcome it.

Can't score a goal on opening night? Really?

This goal drought crap is worse than just losing games, it's horrible to watch. If we lost that game 4-3 last night I would've been disappointed, but it would have been a LOT more fun to watch. If you play a crappy boring system you have to win or it's a total bust. (see 90's devils)

So I'm disgusted and it's all on Sather. Poor decisions over the past few years have prevented us from getting to the show and when you're not getting better you getting worse...

They'll never tank so just blow it up already, you know that's where this is going.

MGF0723

Jan 2, 2013
New York, NY
Tortarella led Canucks 9-4-1 19 pts.
AV led Rangers 3-7 6 pts.
Two guys flipped roles going to teams with completely different systems. I think it goes to show that at some point you can't put all the blame on the coaches anymore. AV just inherited a bad, lazy team.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
How can anyone watch that game and say the Rangers were out played?

They were out scored yes, but not outplayed. They keep working hard and controlling the game the goals will come. This is a sh-t ton better than what we saw in the beginning of the season.

Also the ref's blow but that was not the reason they lost, you can thank Budaj for that.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
There's is no way this team scores unless it's a fluke play/broken play. They don't create. There's no one that is dangerous on this squad.

The refs were horrid but that's not what cost us.

Even when healthy there's no one that I'd be afraid if on this team. No one that can bury a puck. No one to make u pay.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
How can anyone watch that game and say the Rangers were out played?

They were out scored yes, but not outplayed. They keep working hard and controlling the game the goals will come. This is a sh-t ton better than what we saw in the beginning of the season.

Also the ref's blow but that was not the reason they lost, you can thank Budaj for that.

A team that gets shut out in 30% of the games that it plays doesn't really have time for moral victories like "we didn't score but we didn't get outplayed". That's the lament of loser teams when they are on the golf course in April.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Tortarella led Canucks 9-4-1 19 pts.
AV led Rangers 3-7 6 pts.
Two guys flipped roles going to teams with completely different systems. I think it goes to show that at some point you can't put all the blame on the coaches anymore. AV just inherited a bad, lazy team.

More than anything else, they're void of talent.

Sather thought this team had untapped offensive potential that TOrtorella system was holding them back. That clearly isn't the case.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
If you're gonna give up on a team with a new coach, a new system, and half of its top player injured, after 10 games, you should probably watch a different sport.
I recommend football.

Actually, the team that started 0-6, and looked even more pathetic than the Rangers is now two games out of a playoff spot.

I can't really think of a sport where the season is over this early.
Maybe tennis, where you're one and done in each tournament?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This was more than less an evenly played game with maybe a slight edge to the Rangers when the refs made a very bad call against Boyle which spotted the Canadiens a pwp goal toward the end of the 2nd. We probably go into the 3rd 0-0 without that. Speaking of head shots how come Gionta didnt get called for leaving his feet and pretty much head butting McDonagh--popping his helmet off in the process? The Kreider call meant back to the pk but negated a Brassard in all alone breakaway as well. Basically the Montreal defender backed into Kreider and then collided with his own player. Kreider had very little to do with that collision and should not have been penalized at all. It's a joke that he was.

Which brings us to the war room in Toronto where Mike Murphy and a bunch of ex-zebras/players decide good or bad goals. This goal last night was a lot more iffy than the one they took away from us in Philadelphia. Somehow this one counts. One might ask if the season came down to a disputed goal and say the Leafs make it in or not dependent on the ruling--how does anyone think that ruling would go? This job could be outsourced to a bunch of disinterested middle aged ladies in Lexington Ky for let's say $75K a year with summers off. A bit of training and we should at least get more consistent rulings night in and night out than we're getting these days from the bunch of ****ing clowns in Toronto. I'd bet there would be a lot less question about biased decisions anyway.

FWIW Sam and Joe hardly ever complain about referees and their decision making. They bend over backwards to reason out why this call or that. Last night they were *****ing--it may have been mild *****ing but a lot of the calls were horse manure. They were pretty damn sure Galchenyuk's goal was not going to count--just going on the Miller non-goal a few nights back that was more than a reasonable expectation.

Championship*

A team that gets shut out in 30% of the games that it plays doesn't really have time for moral victories like "we didn't score but we didn't get outplayed". That's the lament of loser teams when they are on the golf course in April.

Yeah, when you haven't scored against a team in over 200 MINUTES, "moral" victories are useless.

Read that again. The Rangers have not scored a goal against the Canadiens in over 200 minutes. That's 10 periods of hockey. Zero goals.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Stepan needs to sit for a few games. We are loosing anyway. He has been terrible.

Kreider played well as did Zucc. There were some good periods of hard work.

Meh, expected a loss, got one. Would have liked to see a Kreider goal, he deserves one.

Ready or not, miller should be playing. I don't mind his mistakes. He made some good plays. I'd like Mashinter to play also. He looks good with Dorset.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This was more than less an evenly played game with maybe a slight edge to the Rangers when the refs made a very bad call against Boyle which spotted the Canadiens a pwp goal toward the end of the 2nd. We probably go into the 3rd 0-0 without that. Speaking of head shots how come Gionta didnt get called for leaving his feet and pretty much head butting McDonagh--popping his helmet off in the process? The Kreider call meant back to the pk but negated a Brassard in all alone breakaway as well. Basically the Montreal defender backed into Kreider and then collided with his own player. Kreider had very little to do with that collision and should not have been penalized at all. It's a joke that he was.

Which brings us to the war room in Toronto where Mike Murphy and a bunch of ex-zebras/players decide good or bad goals. This goal last night was a lot more iffy than the one they took away from us in Philadelphia. Somehow this one counts. One might ask if the season came down to a disputed goal and say the Leafs make it in or not dependent on the ruling--how does anyone think that ruling would go? This job could be outsourced to a bunch of disinterested middle aged ladies in Lexington Ky for let's say $75K a year with summers off. A bit of training and we should at least get more consistent rulings night in and night out than we're getting these days from the bunch of ****ing clowns in Toronto. I'd bet there would be a lot less question about biased decisions anyway.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com

All good points, (the Gionta thing was blatant, I was at the game at that end of the ice) but it isn't just THIS game that we've had trouble scoring. It's a consistent chronic problem that has been going on literally for years now!

We can't score! It's infuriating! These goalies are not all that good. Not ALL of them. We wait too long to shoot, telegraph every pass and shot, and seem to aim for the goalies chest when we do finally get a decent chance. It's not just THIS year, this has been a problem for a while now. You cannot win if you don't score. Plus, it's not fun to watch. It sucks frankly.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
So much was made of it over the last two years that it deserves to be constantly brought up. I thought Torts was the reason we couldn't score any goals?

One of the biggest decisions you can make with a franchise is choosing the coach, we had a good one and we blew it because a bunch of people didn't know what they were looking at. Or weren't willing to admit that the talent wasn't quite there.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
So much was made of it over the last two years that it deserves to be constantly brought up. I thought Torts was the reason we couldn't score any goals?

One of the biggest decisions you can make with a franchise is choosing the coach, we had a good one and we blew it because a bunch of people didn't know what they were looking at. Or weren't willing to admit that the talent wasn't quite there.

I imagine even the all mighty Torts would struggle with this current group. Considering its probably worse than last year's and is missing half it's top six... But let's pretend that isn't the case and just blame the current coach for not being able to turn **** into gold.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Like I said last night, I think the better team lost. Aside from their inability to convert, the Rangers played a much better game than they had most nights this season. They were aggressive, quick on the counter attack, and even a little bit creative. Unfortunately, the refs made a couple bad calls -- including two that totally killed the momentum for us -- and Budaj played flawlessly. Not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

The main bright spot for me was Kreider. I think that was his best game in the NHL to date. He looked like the force that many of us think he can be, and hopefully we see more of that this season and less of the tentative, indecisive Kreider that got sent to Hartford.

Lundqvist also had a solid night. Again, not his best, but much better than what we've seen from him so far this year.

I thought Stralman made a few costly mistakes. On that Plekanec goal, he really had no business stepping up at the blueline like that. He needs to make that read and not let the forward get behind him.

Stepan continues to try and force plays. He's clearly not 100% up to speed yet, and that coupled with his usual slow start has left a lot to be desired. He'll bounce back though.

I continue to like the Pyatt/Boyle/Dorsett line. Unfortunately Pyatt keeps making a case to be scratched. Dom Moore has been quiet, but solid. Fast had a great game defensively, but needs time in the AHL to work on adjusting to the speed on offense. He looks promising though.

Miller needs to capitalize on his chances, but I really like the effort from him. Playing a physical brand of hockey while being skilled with the puck. When he puts it together he's going to be a very good player. He also looks huge for a 19 year old and is much stronger that most kids that age.

John Moore and McDonagh had up and down games, but I thought Staal and Girardi played pretty well. Del Zotto looked good too, aside from that mishap behind the net with Hank.

All in all, not a terrible game from a team missing their two best scorers and 3 of their top-six wingers, but we still have plenty of work to do and some serious holes to fill.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah, it's the coach. Not the fact that 40% of our goals from last season are sitting in the press box with injuries. :rolleyes:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I thought the compete level was very good and we outplayed and outworked them for most of the game. Kreider looked amazing again last night very encouraging to see, looks like he finally gets how he needs to be playing in the NHL. He had about 4 chances in the beginning of the 1st and Budaj barely got a piece of his 4th shot that looked to be going in an empty net. He deserves a goal by now with the way he's played.

The refs were god awful. Just an embarrassing display of incompetence. Who knows how this game would have gone if we weren't going against Patrick "Budaj" Roy and the refs.

I know everything looks bleak and miserable but the defensive game has started to come together and our goalies have played much better than the first 5 or so games. Getting Callahan and Hagelin back will be huge. Who knows when Nash comes back though :\

Last thought.. Get Pyatt off this team or at least off the ******* PK. He is too slow and it looks even worse when he and Boyle PK together.

Okay one more thought... Stepan looks like a trainwreck offensively so far but he has been superb on the PK which gives me hope that he'll get it all together and play how we need him to play.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
While I understand more than anyone that this team is lacking talent, I don't think the expectation was that Nash, Callahan, and Hagelin (who is more of a secondary scorer anyway) would be the only players scoring goals this season.

The rest of the team has to pick up the slack when there are injuries. They showed signs of life against Detroit by scoring 3 goals, but then proceeded to get shutout again last night. There are players who are capable of playing better than they have shown and should be contributing more. Richards looked like he was going to put the team on his back but he seems to have run out of gas.

Thesensation19*

Yes the refs sucked but why make another excuse for this team? We already have AV and players talking about long road trips and adjusting to new system. I say bologna.

Listen, the team played better but still has issues.

Faceoffs being #1

And second...
Break out.

Such a predictable and simplified breakout that gets us trapped in our own zone for no reason. Watch every breakout... hardly effective. Torts break out might be better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad