Post-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Rangers: "These refs suck"

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sounds like a tough loss, missed this one due to work. If this team has any gumption they'll come out flying and destroy the Islanders tomorrow. Tomorrow is more telling with where we head as a team this season instead of tonight.

For those complaining about lack of skill, we do have our skill. They're on the IR now. Hagelin back in the lineup will be a more impactful addition to the lineup than most think.

dmjt4160

Jun 27, 2011
Not exactly groundbreaking here but if you take away Richards our forward group tonight has just 3 20 goal seasons among them. Boyles 21 a couple years ago, 23 for Pyatt in Vancouver in '07, and 21 Steps rookie year.

I really don't think we can play much better without the 3 guys that are out. Nobody wants to be patient especially when a team is losing but there is certainly still plenty of potential for this team/season.

The defensive end is coming together and you know we are going to get goaltending. Our forecheck has been really good the past couple of games. If Kreider wants to play like he has the past two games all season long he is going to be an impact player and put up Hagelin type rookie season numbers.

No chance Im throwing in the towel on this group especially if the type of effort we saw the past two games becomes the norm.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
They got shafted by the refs tonight twice. A breakaway negated by a bogus call and a bogus goal with 3 minutes to go that negated a chance to tie it.

A lot of good things, the compete level was there, the effort was there. Just need to finish, They also got stoned by a Budaj. Gotta tip your hat to him.

Wolfy*

What if the Isles beat us tomorrow, I dont wanna think about it...total embarrassment.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
We currently are DEAD last in goal scoring in the league. We are 30th in the league with 15 goals

San Jose has already scored 47

This team ****ing sucks and it ain't because Nash, Callahan and Hagelin are out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm the two-time two-time HFNYR Angriest Poster. I'm the suicidal, homicidal, genocidal maniac!

When I of all people think the Rangers played a good game, they were ****ing good. End of discussion.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Annoying game. The compete level was really good, as it has been for the last 3 games now but someone has to start finishing. I know Nash and Cally are out but there should still be people in the lineup capable of scoring occasionally.

The reffing was just terrible, no they aren't the reason we lost but they sure didn't help much; some very average calls made.

Really liked Kreider's game but he has to start finding the back of the net soon with all the chances he gets.

Overall, it's nice to see them compete, but even with Hags, Cally and Nash back this team is not a cup contender (they would be a playoff contender, but who cares) and so changes need to be made.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I think the Rangers looked just fine at even strength. Created enough scoring chances but you have to actually finish some of them. Doesn't mean they played poorly, though. And the Moore, Boyle, and Kreider calls were comical. Too bad when the Rangers actually get a call in their favor the Rangers powerplay is there to save the day for the opponent.

And yeah that second Habs goal was clearly kicked in. At that point though the damage had already been done. The Rangers were trailing and the odds of getting one past Patrick Roy were minimal. I sure wished they'd stop these Old Timer's Games. Seems like Roy's played for every team in the league.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc has to score on his point blank chance just moments before Montreal gets their second. This loss is on him.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
HD4lKkF.gif

Still looks like a kick to me..

RothmanHockey

Back for another year ... I must say, the building looks tremendous. Scoreboard is not only huge and crystal clear, but there are -- when working properly -- going to be a ton of stats shown on it.

I know some people don't like the bridges, but one thing they do is make the building feel more intimate. Media are up on one of the bridges, now (and we were in a fishbowl tonight with everyone checking it out), and you can't see the top of the opposite 200 level. Makes it feel like a much smaller building, which is really cool.

To my article:

NEW YORK – Wins and losses are important – that goes without saying. And if the Rangers don’t start picking up wins soon, well, it’s going to get late awfully early for first-year Rangers’ coach Alain Vigneault and his players.

But despite their 2-0 loss to Montreal (7-5-0) in New York’s home opener at sparkling re-opened Madison Square Garden, there is reason to be optimistic. As currently on the ice, this is a poor offensive team. But that’s because of all the talent missing. And the reinforcements are coming

http://insidehockey.com/rangers-improvements-are-coming-slowly

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY

People are saying that Galchenyuk was stopping and therefore his skates were lined up the way they were. While that is true, his right leg sure straightens very conveniently just before the puck hits the skate.

I've watched this .gif almost an hour now and it was a kick. No doubt about it. I agree with Hank, there has to be a consistency with these calls.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Why are some people getting all righteous about the fact that the kicked goal wasn't the game winner and doesn't matter? As I see it, that goal happened with 3 minutes left in the game. Should it not count, the Rangers have a better chance of tying the game and getting to OT. Obviously you don't want to blame the loss entirely on the refs, but that particular call was bogus and it still would've been bogus if the score was 5-0 at the time. However, it was only 1-0 and the game was still within reach. Complaining about the officiating does not mean people are blaming the entirety of the loss on the refs. How could anyone not complain about the phantom call on Boyle and the even worse call on Kreider.

Overall, aside from not finishing, this game wasn't as discouraging as people are making it out to be. The fact of the matter is that our two best goal scorers aren't playing. We carried the play 5v5 and had a lot of chances and Budaj played VERY well. Just because he's a back up doesn't mean he's a sieve and should always be scored on at will.

I really liked Kreider's game. He was the best forward on the ice tonight. Richards wasn't as effective as he's been, which is a bit forgivable because he's being keyed on as the most dangerous player. It's too bad Kreider's shot in the opening minute didn't get a lucky bounce and go in off the cross bar, if it had, this would've been a much different game.

They just need to take the positives from this game and go onto the Island tomorrow and try and finally finish.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
HD4lKkF.gif

Sure looks like a kick. Apparently, the league defines a kicking motion as a player literally kicking the puck as if it were a soccer ball.

Shouldn't a player redirecting the puck intentionally with his leg extending towards the puck be considered a kick? Galchenyuk clearly thrust his leg forward, extended at the knee, he foot went from the position it was in during the stop into a forward motion towards the puck, directing the puck into the net. That should be a no goal. The rule should apply to plays like these, not only plays where a player soccer kicks a puck into the net. If that is what the define as a kick, it leaves way too much of a gray area for controversial plays like this to happen. The bottom line should be an intentional motion made with the leg to direct the puck into the net should be no goal.

On a related note, I have no idea how JT Miller's no goal versus Philly was waived off if this one stands.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I don't think blaming the refs is the way to go here guys. Both teams had virtually the same number of powerplays- bad officiating but not unfair officiating.

I've said this before on here in my short time posting but the Rangers have got to stop taking penalties in the first 5 minutes of the game! They have done this in at least 3 of their games so far that I can remember, maybe more. It just kills any out of the gate momentum and immediately puts the team on the defensive.

The Rangers are just slow. They are slow skaters but awfully slow at making decisions with the puck. Any high caliber coach will tell you that players need to move the puck quickly and decisevely. Far to often the Rangers are slow to react and hold onto the puck way to long. Case in point, John Moore's play at the offensive blue line where he tried to skate threw 3 Canadians holding onto the puck only to have it( shockingly- sarcasm) stolen turned back up ice and within seconds put in the back of out net. I like Moore and he's trying to generate offense here but it's just not a good play and this kind of stuff is going on all over the ice in every game.

They are incapable of generating offense with this collection of players. I'm now fully on board with the blow it up crowd. How much more proff does the organization need that this collection of misfit, slow, talentless players are just wasting everyone's time? Seriously aside from a handful of guys( Stall, McD, Callahan, Hagelin, and maybe Hank) I would applaud the Rangers for getting rid of the rest.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Zucc has to score on his point blank chance just moments before Montreal gets their second. This loss is on him.

Kinda harsch.

Nice to see Kreider with a real good game. Any news on when Nash will be back? I'm curious to see this team with full squad. Don't think this team is as bad as some like to think. But we can't afford to have 3 top-6 players injured.

Championship*

What if the Isles beat us tomorrow, I dont wanna think about it...total embarrassment.

I'm sure the excuse police on here will think of something else to complain about instead of actually critiquing the Rangers play

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hagelin should be back tonight. He is eligible to come off long term IR today. Kreider and Miller were the best players on the ice last night which is a bad sign for the other players. Its good for Kreider and Miller. Even with three of their top forwards out of the line-up,two kids shouldn't be your best players. Brooks is talking about Vaclav Prospal again this morning. He can really play the fast and quick game. I know Prospal is a good quote and the media guys like him but come on.

3-7 in the first 10 game segment. The Rangers have 2 games remaining his month. They have 15 games in November. 8 home. 7 away. Their season will determined in the next few weeks.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
We currently are DEAD last in goal scoring in the league. We are 30th in the league with 15 goals

San Jose has already scored 47

This team ****ing sucks and it ain't because Nash, Callahan and Hagelin are out.

Yeah missing 3 of your top 6 forwards has nothing to do with the lack of offense. :shakehead

The officiating wouldn't have stood out as much as it did if the two worst calls in the game hadn't directly resulted in goals.

Also **** Budaj. Journeyman decides to stand on his head.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My take on the game:

Kreider was extremely visible moving his feet and getting to pucks. I liked him a lot on a line with Stepan. I actually thought Richards was the one dragging them down a bit. Just too soft and weak on his skates.

Boyle and Dorsett continue to be the Rangers best bottom-6 forwards by a wide margin. They seem to be forming some good chemistry and playing great defensive hockey. This is the Dorsett I saw on numerous occasions in Columbus.

Moore, McDonagh, Staal, Stralman and Girardi all played well. MDZ had his moments as well.

Pouliot played pretty well although I can not wait until he is a 3rd liner again.

Miller had flashes but he still makes some bad reads. In the perfect world he would be in Hartford for most of this season.

Th refs were God awful. The Boyle and Kreider penalties were incredibly bad.

Budaj played well but there was never enough traffic in front of the net creating screens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad