Pre-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Penguins | Perron's debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Farnham will be phased out eventually. When the team is fully healthy, it will basically be between Adams and Farnham.

We knows how it goes.

If there's one more acquisition, the final spot is between Downie/Spaling/Goc and Adams.

GarrettC

Feb 1, 2009
When is it acceptable to start complaining about Malkin getting shafted with brutal linemates?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So right now we've got

Perron-Crosby-X1
X2-Geno-X3
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
X4-Goc-X5

X1, X2, X3 as some combination of Downie, Spaling, Rust

X4 and X5 as some combination of Farnham, Ebbett, Adams

I don't think Kunitz will be with Sutter and BB long term, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kunitz is playing with Sid or Geno tonight.

If Perron is playing right wing like JR said then either Kunitz or Spailing would have to be the left winger on that line.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Farnham will be phased out eventually. When the team is fully healthy, it will basically be between Adams and Farnham.

We knows how it goes.

My hope is that we can manage to bring in one more winger so the fourth line is Spaling-Goc-Downie. That way we never have to feel the pain of Adams playing over Farnham.

We play Boston on Wednesday and Philly on the 20th. I'll feel robbed if I don't get to see Farnham play those games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malone, Sykora

Iginla on Geno's LW was no gift.

Malone was Sid's winger first, never enjoyed the type of performance with Sid that he did with Geno, who only regularly centered Malone due to Sid's high ankle sprain. They got 5 months together.

Same goes for Sykora. They got longer together, right up until Sykora was done.

Neal was acquired to play with Sid. Only played with Geno due to injury.

Horny was acquired and the plan was to play him with Geno. Injury led to his playing with Sid.

Ergo, the only winger acquired where one could say he was for Geno really was Horny.

Not saying it's right or wrong . . . just setting the history straight.

EDIT: Kunitz was for Sid, Guerin was for Sid. Morrow was for Geno. Iginla SHOULD have been for Sid. Jokinen was as a 3C due to injuries.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think Kunitz will be with Sutter and BB long term, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kunitz is playing with Sid or Geno tonight.

If Perron is playing right wing like JR said then either Kunitz or Spailing would have to be the left winger on that line.

If MJ didn't see that line as a possible long-term solution, there's no way Kunitz would have played there last night while Geno was with Ebbett and Rust. He seems to really, really like it. I'd be surprised if it was broken up unless the offense dries up.

As for Perron playing right wing, I didn't take JR's quote as a definitive thing. He said he suspected that he would because of our injuries. Hornqvist and Comeau had been filling out the RW spots in the top-6 prior to them dropping. I don't think he spoke with MJ about line combinations when he said that, so I wouldn't write it in stone that Perron is playing right-wing.

penguins2946*

Awesome that Perron is playing with Sid. I would try and keep Perron-Crosby-Downie together for a while to see if that line works. That seems like it would be a good playoff line, good combination of sniping, playmkaing and grit from all 3 of the members. Give Malkin Hornqvist and Comeau once they come back, then look to bring in a LW sniper to play with Geno and Hornqvist.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
How about the balls Johnston has to move Kunitz to the 3rd line w/ injuries. Seriously? That's some huge balls. DB would have never done that. He would have just accepted Kunitz playing like ass.

Also brains.

Kunitz better serves this team as a third wheel on a third line than as a third wheel with Sid or Geno.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not assigning designated roles to any winger. I just think you have to fix Sid's line first. Until Sid can dominate in the playoffs without Malkin on his line, we haven't fixed jack ****.

Perron is the guy who can help Sid out the most at this point. Maybe JR brings in another dynamic winger, and he ends up a better fit. But my money would be on more of a 2nd/3rd line type being brought in for depth purposes and challenging Kunitz and Comeau for spots next to Geno.

Make Sid's line dominant. Get Geno some complementary guys who know when/how to get him the puck, get out of his way and support him when needed. Make Sutter's line a secondary scoring line that can match up against top lines. And have Spaling+Goc take on the D-zone shifts and just settle things down when we need mistake free hockey.

The Pens have the assets to give Geno the type of winger who, with Comeau or Downie on the other side, would make Geno's line dominant too.

What a novel concept, the two best centers in the game BOTH being given assets that are closer in talent to their peers' assets than at any time save maybe 2008.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Iginla on Geno's LW was no gift.

Malone was Sid's winger first, never enjoyed the type of performance with Sid that he did with Geno, who only regularly centered Malone due to Sid's high ankle sprain. They got 5 months together.

Same goes for Sykora. They got longer together, right up until Sykora was done.

Neal was acquired to play with Sid. Only played with Geno due to injury.

Horny was acquired and the plan was to play him with Geno. Injury led to his playing with Sid.

Ergo, the only winger acquired where one could say he was for Geno really was Horny.

Not saying it's right or wrong . . . just setting the history straight.

EDIT: Kunitz was for Sid, Guerin was for Sid. Morrow was for Geno. Iginla SHOULD have been for Sid. Jokinen was as a 3C due to injuries.

Iginla and Morrow... And I've never seen anything concrete in Neal? On assumption (probably safe)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was trying to be optimistic :laugh:

So...

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Spaling-Malkin-Rust
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Farnham/Ebbett-Goc-Adams

Although I suppose MJ could put Ebbett-Malkin-Rust back together.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Farnham is the scratch.

I would be more disappointed if Spaling is with Malkin.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If MJ didn't see that line as a possible long-term solution, there's no way Kunitz would have played there last night while Geno was with Ebbett and Rust. He seems to really, really like it. I'd be surprised if it was broken up unless the offense dries up.

As for Perron playing right wing, I didn't take JR's quote as a definitive thing. He said he suspected that he would because of our injuries. Hornqvist and Comeau had been filling out the RW spots in the top-6 prior to them dropping. I don't think he spoke with MJ about line combinations when he said that, so I wouldn't write it in stone that Perron is playing right-wing.

I guess we will see, but i'd be shocked if Kunitz stays on that line long term, i can't see Malkin playing with guys like Rust Ebbett Spailing long term, Horny and Comeau aren't coming back anytime soon.

The only sure thing i think you can say about MJ and his line combinations is that Sutter is glued to BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille