Rumor: Canadiens not getting fair offers for Max Pacioretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
NHL trade rumors: Canadiens not getting fair value in Max Pacioretty offers, report says | Sporting News
Best quotes:

"Brendan Kelly of the Montreal Gazette reported Monday that Marc Bergevin has been having trouble getting market value in offers for the team captain"

"Pacioretty, a five-time 30-goal scorer, is one of two players (along with Alex Ovechkin) to reach the 30-goal plateau in each season between 2013 and 2017. In 2017-18, Pacioretty (much like the Canadiens) had a down year: he scored 17 goals, his lowest full-season total since his rookie campaign, while scoring on a career-low 8-percent of his shots."

What is a fair offer?

Kellys article: What the Puck: Canadiens and Max Pacioretty are in lose-lose situation

He doesnt report anything, he is just giving his opinion...

Reactions: double5son10

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pacioretty is coming off of a down season. This wouldn't be a big issue if not for his age; he turns 30 in November and will be 31 in the first year of his next contract. That forces the question of whether 17-18 was isolated or if it's age related. Pacioretty is likely looking to get that big UFA contract that sees him make $7 mil or more into his late 30s on the basis of his prior performance. There's a lot of risk there. If a team pays a big price and he walks, they lose for sure. If a team pays a big price and he re-signs long-term, they also potentially lose.

This Catch 22 is exacerbated by a strong wing market. Even with Kovalchuk, Hoffman, Neal and van Riemsdyk settled, there's still a younger Skinner as a direct alternative. Fellow 2019 UFAs Panarin, Simmonds, Zuccarello, Lee, etc. may become available between now and the deadline.

Bad timing.

Reactions: Karitimes

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No **** Sherlock. After you announce to the whole world that you're not negotiating a new term with him, don't intend to re-sign him and want to trade him, what do you expect?
Yeah compare it to Hextall, the Flyers, and Simmonds who is also a UFA next summer. You barely hear a peep.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

The thing that sucks for MTL right now, and is tanking is I think most contending teams are very happy with their wingers, and don't want to pay for one, and the rebuilding teams won't want to give up assets for an aging goal scoring winger.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Depends on what they feel is fair I suppose. I think the league is moving towards youth, and that has spread to win-now teams too, especially in a cap world, and a Pacioretty trade would likely involve younger players and picks, which is what win-now teams tend to lack. Pacioretty would have a lot of value still, just not what a player like him would get in years past.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This stupid idiot botched it by not trading him at the deadline, then botched it by not trading him at the draft, and then this stupid idiot doubled down on being a stupid idiot by announcing he wasn't even going to negotiate with Pacioretty's camp anymore. Par for the course for this dumbass.

Reactions: strongcomp05

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hilarious dichotomy in the article
" We (HC & GM) don't like him and want him gone"
+
"Waahhh, no one is willing to pay core elite talent price for what is at this point the rental of a good 1st line forward"

It seems Bergevin is late to the "Top 5 in total goals 7 to 2 years ago =/= top 5, 10, or even 15 scorer in the game today" train, not to mention the "top 15-20 goalscorer is a lot less attractive when attached to top 30-50 offensive forward" train

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Hilarious dichotomy in the article
" We (HC & GM) don't like him and want him gone"
+
"Waahhh, no one is willing to pay core elite talent price for what is at this point the rental of a good 1st line forward"

It seems Bergevin is late to the "Top 5 in total goals 7 to 2 years ago =/= top 5, 10, or even 15 scorer in the game today" train, not to mention the "top 15-20 goalscorer is a lot less attractive when attached to top 30-50 offensive forward" train
lolwut

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wahhhhh other GM’s aren’t offering their best young roster players or blue chip prospects for a guy that is coming off the worst year of his career and I publicly said we will not re-sign. ITS NOT FAIR *stomps feet, holds breath, turns blue*.

Cry me a f***ing river. I feel bad for Habs fans. Their mismanagement and poor utilization of assets is almost as bad as ours.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That is what happens when the GM announce to the world that he will not resign a player.
Guess what 30 goal scoring lwers are not worth a top 1c prospect, a 1st rnd pick + nhl player. That is not fair value especially when said player, "patches" played like dog poo last year.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wahhhhh other GM’s aren’t offering their best young roster players or blue chip prospects for a guy that is coming off the worst year of his career and I publicly said we will not re-sign. ITS NOT FAIR *stomps feet, holds breath, turns blue*.

Cry me a ****ing river. I feel bad for Habs fans. Their mismanagement and poor utilization of assets is almost as bad as ours.
Worse. Far, far worse.

Reactions: Taylorst
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad