Rumor: Canadiens informed Pacioretty they will not negotiate a contract extension with him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still think Anaheim is a good fit. Obviously Steele has been beaten to death and is a no go, But I think the Habs would still have interest in Comtois and possibly Josh Mahura. Would Anaheim fans be willing to let one or both of those prospects go in a trade for Pacioretty?

Start with a 2019 1st. Then go from there. If no 2019 1st is offered and the focus is grade B prospects you can spare, Habs are not interested. The main piece is the 1st round pick. Then we can talk about the other pieces like a 2nd, and grade B prospects.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Why is this such a big deal? They tried to move him at the draft, obviously that's not gonna change just because the deal with L.A fell through. He's 30 and declining and wants a big contract, i say good riddance.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Patch is worth lots of value no matter how people spin things. A young 1C? Well, that boat left after the 2018 trade deadline. Not many Habs fans are asking for this anymore but maybe Bergevin still is. Who knows.

LMAO that boat was never at the dock in the first place. Only Habs fans on HFBoards thought he was worth that.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Not 100% sure this is true though. Not denying it but I think Borgstrom and the 1st was what he was asking for.

Nah, every trade rumour so far has said that Bergevin wants a roster player that can play immediately in return. Borg and a 1st would be a good package but Bergevin wants someone ready.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LMAO that boat was never at the dock in the first place. Only Habs fans on HFBoards thought he was worth that.

Excuse the Habs for setting the price high before the 2018 trade deadline. How unreasonable we are for doing this eh? How dare we eh? In truth, neither you or I know what the asking price was and what the best offer was.

Habs looking for a unproven young potential top 2 center was a good place to start... no matter how you don't like it. The key words here are unproven and top 2 center. But this is transformed to a young sure shot #1C for some strange reason.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nah, every trade rumour so far has said that Bergevin wants a roster player that can play immediately in return. Borg and a 1st would be a good package but Bergevin wants someone ready.

We agree the price was set too high and he likely screwed himself over. However, as far as what the high price was? I'm not willing to use rumors as facts to support an opinion of mine. Also, If Borgstrom and the 1st was the only offer, I am pretty sure Bergevin pulls the trigger. I just don't think the Panthers wanted to trade Borgstrom. Just like we didn't want to trade Sergachev for Duchene.

Panthers were likely trying to use their 2018 1st and other adds and Bergevin wanted the 1st, Borgstom, and other pieces. Too far apart.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Thread could be narrowed down to who wants Patches @ 7.5M - because that has to narrow the suitors.
- If of course the roster player ask ++ is true.

If MTL is willing to take a throwaway contract with pick(s) /future(s) - sort of the standard rental deadline price.. that'll open his market to expected-contenders.

Either way...with the way the market for 20 (potential 30) goal forwards has gone, if he has a bounce back season his next contract is going to be a doozy.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think the tweet wording was spun in a very terminal, absolutist way. I assume Patch's agent approached MB about just negotiating an extension with the Habs (Because why not? he is eager to lock in 50$ million guaranteed money and probably a NTC to control his future), and MB said "no extension with us, we're still trying to trade you because we really need a centre so we want the opposing team to work the extension angle". This is basically the same situation as before but being treating by click-desperate journalist scum as some big revelation.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
8x8 will of course make him overpaid at some point, but I guess you pay later for instant winning with a like him.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Dumb to let this leak

You lose leverage in a trade

Montreal is a dumpster fire. I’d be happy as a bruins fan but I like it when montreal is competitive and their gong show ways have opened to the door for a much more annoying team and fan base :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thread could be narrowed down to who wants Patches @ 7.5M - because that has to narrow the suitors.
- If of course the roster player ask ++ is true.

If MTL is willing to take a throwaway contract with pick(s) /future(s) - sort of the standard rental deadline price.. that'll open his market to expected-contenders.

Either way...with the way the market for 20 (potential 30) goal forwards has gone, if he has a bounce back season his next contract is going to be a doozy.

It's more probable Patch gets traded as a pending UFA with a conditional pick if he re-signs vs a sign and trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dumb to let this leak

You lose leverage in a trade

Montreal is a dumpster fire. I’d be happy as a bruins fan but I like it when montreal is competitive and their gong show ways have opened to the door for a much more annoying team and fan base :laugh:

Dumb to let this Leak? How do you prevent the player/agent from leaking it?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
where in the hell did you hear that ?
it was 6 x 6 not 8 x 8. wtf ?

The LA Kings wanted him at 6x6. Brisson must have said something Pacioretty didn't like because the next day Pacioretty had a new agent and the whole deal fell through. Because of that, the Kings went three years for Kovalchuk instead. Manarino discussed the numbers, McKenzie and Friedman discussed the process.

It would be crazy for Pacioretty to accept 6x6 when JVR just got 7x5. He took a bath the last several years on the deal he signed when Bergevin became GM when his agent at the time told him making what Erik Cole made would be good for him. He fired that agent. He wants to get paid. He's starting at $8M. The 8 year part is certainly wishful thinking but if you want to walk him down from eight year, you better up the pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad