Confirmed with Link: Canadiens hire Marie-Philip Poulin as Player Development Consultant

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Louis Jean on JiC just said that the Habs had hired Poulin months ago but didn't announce it because she had just won the Olympic Gold and they wanted to let her enjoy it and savor the moments coming after the Olympics. And that they would announce it when the time is right. They didn't want to announce it after the Olympics, using the momentum of that with the media as self serving.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Lol why did Molson have to show up to make the announcement? Why couldn’t Hughes or Gorton do it? I thought we were done with seeing his face. :shakehead

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But he is.

It's like people are harping on the tallest dwarf as argument over and over.

Just say she is the best female hockey player in the World. And there's nothing wrong with that. Because best player is just false.

Mike Tyson would destroy Pernell Whitaker. Therefore Tyson is a better boxer than Whitaker.

That's the logic you are using right now.

Reactions: bcv and viceroy

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If I had to read these “PR move” comments out loud, I’d go with a mid-Atlantic accent …. that’d be a good fit.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Since Molson tossed the bros club in the garbage, I keep finding move after move by the org and agreeing with the direction the team is taking. What a breath of fresh air the new regime has been.

Bergevin thinking he could just pass the keys of the organization to Mellanby and walk away was the wake up call for Molson. He realized he had been played a fool for a near decade.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Good PR move, plus it's only a part-time job. Perfect fit for the Habs.

You're both wrong and partially right IMO. I'm not a fan of PC culture, wokeness, cancelling etc. But this isn't that.

It's not a PR move in that MPP has her own resume, merits, accomplishments etc. And that it's not because of her sexe that she is being brought on board.

Although I will concede that the organization is using this consultant hire to make a PR 'splash', or else Adam Nicholas, the director, would've gotten a press conference as well.

MPP rose to the top, the absolute peak, and to quote the great, and for some, 'controversial' mind of Jordan Peterson on achieving greatness : "There are a certain number of people, although not that many, who are perfectly willing to sacrifice virtually all of their lives to the pursuit of a high end career. These are people who are very conscientious, very intelligent, very driven, very healthy, very high energy, and they're willing to work 70 or 80 hours a week non-stop specialize at one thing to get to the top. [To get to the top] of any organization is an incredibly competitive enterprise [...] it's absolute all out warfare [...] if you're going to be successful you need to be smart, conscientious and tough."

Sounds like anyone with these qualities can be on my team! Go MPP Go and Go Habs Go! Forward thinking is always needed in any organization

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
But he is.

It's like people are harping on the tallest dwarf as argument over and over.

Just say she is the best female hockey player in the World. And there's nothing wrong with that. Because best player is just false.

Raonic is not a better tennis player. He would win 100 times out of 100 because of his physical attributes, but having watched both a lot, there's no way you can say his positioning, ball placement, understanding in how to move the opponent / place his serve and when to do what he should are anywhere near Serena.

Reactions: HomaridII and bcv

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Call me when he has 73 titles.

Just because they don't play in the same category doesn't mean he's a better tennis player. They both played at the top level they could and one has career that will go down in history and one doesn't.
Ummm Serena would get destroyed by any man in the top 1000. Comparing Men to Women in sports is ridiculous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definitely reeks PR move. Her career as a player isn't over so she will only work sporadically...what the hell is that?

Molson still doing Mol$on stuff.

Ever consider that fans are overacting to a management move that is not that high up on the list? It's not like we ever overacted to depth player signings before eh?

Public relations move and part time role? Even if this was true, what's the problem? :dunno:. Do you feel like you are being insulted as a fan or something? I don't get the Molson attacks one bit. Take a look in the mirror

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Definitely reeks PR move. Her career as a player isn't over so she will only work sporadically...what the hell is that?

Because the Habs are very interested in having her work for them and didn't want to take the chance another team scooped her up while they were waiting for her to retire.

Hughes said months ago that they would be ok with her part-time because they think she's worth it.

To me, it's pretty similar to Lecavalier. Some small things here and there and most likely a role that will grown with the years.

Also, the most important time for her to be directly with the prospects is the offseason and dev camps, so her hockey career shouldn't be too much of a bother. In-season Zoom calls don't prevent you to play hockey.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Hayley Wickenheiser is a physician and is working for the Toronto Maple Leafs as senior director of hockey development. I guarantee Wickenheiser's a lot busier with her career in medicine than Poulin is in her career as a hockey player. It's not even close.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hayley Wickenheiser is a physician and is working for the Toronto Maple Leafs as senior director of hockey development. I guarantee Wickenheiser's a lot busier with her career in medicine than Poulin is in her career as a hockey player. It's not even close.

Yeah, but she's a woman so that's just a PR move too. Women can't be competent in hockey.

Habs should have hired Michael Bournival instead because he's a man.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah, but she's a woman so that's just a PR move too. Women can't be competent in hockey.

Habs should have hired Michael Bournival instead because he's a man.
LOL! You'd think everyone would be happy that we made a significant hire that didn't involve cronyism.

I heard the Habs really wanted MPP and hired her in the part-time role so she can contribute to the organization right away and because they didn't want anyone else to get her after her playing career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad