News Article: Canadiens happy with dynamic blue line

Edward Richtofen

Dec 9, 2020
If Romanov is a top 4 D and can bump either Edmonson or Chariot down the left side is finally good. But that is a lot to ask of a guy coming over at that age.

As for the bottom pairing it would be great if Kulak plays like he did in the playoffs or Mete, Fleury, Juulsen or long shot Brook make huge strides. Good chance Romanov is on the bottom pairing at the end of the season with a playoff pickup.
Why is it so much to ask? He’s used to playing with men.. it’s easy to play next to Weber. Even midget Mete held his own next to Weber. Romanov will excel in the NHL with his “do what it takes to win at all costs“ mentality.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Why is it so much to ask? He’s used to playing with men.. it’s easy to play next to Weber. Even midget Mete held his own next to Weber. Romanov will excel in the NHL with his “do what it takes to win at all costs“ mentality.
Welcome aboard! This forum is the best! Just a heads up. A lot of posters get fired up if you do not refer to Kotkaniemi by his official nickname... which is Coconut.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Welcome aboard! This forum is the best! Just a heads up. A lot of posters get fired up if you do not refer to Kotkaniemi by his official nickname... which is Coconut.

Like Galchenyuk's official nickname was Numbnuts!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I believe it and all 3 guys on Overdrive last night said it too. You can pretend it's "ridiculous" all you want. I think you said only Petry is dynamic right? Yeah, he skates well for a big man and is our best puck mover. I think you value the puck movers and ignore the shutdown types. You need both bud.

This is about to become the most absurd argument I've had on this site. Yes, I do believe Jeff Petry is the only actually legitimately dynamic dman we have on our roster. Does that make him the only good dman on our roster? No. I think what you're severely misunderstanding here is that "dynamic" and "good defenseman" aren't synonymous. My argument was never about who has the best defense core in the Canadian division, or whether I only value puck moving dmen, or whether I do or don't think Ryan McDonagh is a really good player, or whether I or whoever you refer to as "both" need bud.

So if you wanna go argue those things, go argue with someone who, you know, is also arguing those things.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is about to become the most absurd argument I've had on this site. Yes, I do believe Jeff Petry is the only actually legitimately dynamic dman we have on our roster. Does that make him the only good dman on our roster? No. I think what you're severely misunderstanding here is that "dynamic" and "good defenseman" aren't synonymous. My argument was never about who has the best defense core in the Canadian division, or whether I only value puck moving dmen, or whether I do or don't think Ryan McDonagh is a really good player, or whether me or whoever you refer to as "both" needs bud.

So if you wanna go argue those things, go argue with someone who, you know, is also arguing those things.

"Absurd". Whenever I see posters use exaggeration words like that to prove their points and devalue others, I chuckle. The most absurd post in the history of HF boards eh :laugh:

I believe you said.. Aside from Petry, Habs D is not dynamic. We disagree. Habs D is the best group in the entire Canadian division. I bet you think Karlsson and Burns and whoever after them is a better group. Top heavy narrative again

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
"Absurd". Whenever I see posters use exaggeration words like that to prove their points and devalue others, I chuckle. The most absurd post in the history of HF boards eh :laugh:

I believe you said.. Aside from Petry, Habs D is not dynamic. We disagree. Habs D is the best group in the entire Canadian division. I bet you think Karlsson and Burns and whoever after them is a better group. Top heavy narrative again

You don't even read my posts do you?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The D should be better although like the previous year when we got Chia, I can't say I know much about Edmondson. The problem seems to be we have 2 very solid top 3 D's and then a bunch of bottom pairing D's (outside of the rookie wild card) as I would think the rest of the bunch not counting Romanov would be on the 3rd pairing of most contenders give or take a few teams.

We clearly have a massive hole at 1 LD, Romanov shouldn't be asked to fill it, Chia doesn't seem that good of a long term fit from what i've seen but can fill in there and Mete needs a lot more offense if he were to play there.

That said I just don't see the Habs rolling with this team as is, even if you send Weal to Laval for Evans, this team is way too up against it for the cap and that's with just 21 players which no way will that last. I think one of Mete/Kulak gets traded at some point as with Chia/Edmundson joining Weber/Petry, that's 5 plus Romanov assuming he stays up all year. They need to figure something out on Juulsen so they can wait till the end of camp and see how he looks and then decide what to do, if Juulsen looks sharp maybe he stays, or if he's good enough maybe they carry 8 D, if not maybe they try to get something for him and if all else fails then just send him to Laval.

But they will need cap space at some point so they will need to think of something imo.

Chiarot a bottom pairing D on a contender? I have a higher opinion on him than you. At worst a solid #4D.

And he's 29 years old, entering the prime years for a defenseman (exactly the same years we just saw from Petry, who shall decline shortly).

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Romanov plays with Weber have to play a lot of minutes. Most project Romaniv 3rd pairing minutes. Usually around 13 a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad