News Article: Canadiens happy with dynamic blue line

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Richardson lance des fleurs à Romanov

Dang, Richardson saying: we've seen players be stars at the world juniors then come into the NHL right away and be top players. We're expecting nothing less if Romanov...

Oh man this is a lot of expectations right of the bat. They must really like what they are seeing in practice by romanov to put so much praise on him. I am use to the habs sheltering their players and setting low expectations.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Dynamic as in severely lacking speed, puck moving ability and offensive creativity?

Dang, Richardson saying: we've seen players be stars at the world juniors then come into the NHL right away and be top players. We're expecting nothing less if Romanov...
Lol these guys never learn. Always overvalue the shit out of your prospects, not like it has backfired for the past decade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not that this kind of thing hasn't happened before. Just let the guy be, we can do without the exaggerated projections. He has enough to deal with as it is, coming from a larger ice surface, playing limited minutes and getting used to a new system. He needs time to adapt and grow.

Of course, you're going to have your usual delusional sorts in this market who are going to take Richardson's comments the wrong way or too far but that's just par for the course. Something about this market's propensity to eat their young.

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
i moved this to it's own thread as I thought it would just confuse some people by using the old Luke Richardson thread from 2018.
Thanks, I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not. Figured a Luke Richardson thread would be next on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Dynamic? Not sure about that. Imposing? Sure. Team has to ditch Mete and Kulak, find a replacement for Sergachev. Jesus why didn't we keep Serg?

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I’m happy. Romanov has played 2 years in the KHL already (2nd best league in the world).

The D isn’t a complete tire fire this year, which has larger questions, but it’s not like he’s going to be playing with bums. Let him start in the top 4 if you think he’s ready, it’s kind of like how many of us want Suzy and KK in the top 6...

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Our D looks a lot better than it has recently, that's for sure. If Weber stays healthy, Petry keeps playing like a #1, and Romanov can make an impact in the top 4 it could actually be good this year.

I'm not sure what "dynamic" is supposed to mean but it should be pretty solid at least.

Reactions: Surfer72

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Dynamic? Not sure about that. Imposing? Sure. Team has to ditch Mete and Kulak, find a replacement for Sergachev. Jesus why didn't we keep Serg?
We got a french super star. :nod:

Reactions: kevsavard95

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's not much to be excited about. We continue to set the bar so low...

We'll see about Romanov. We need him to pan out there's just no other way to say it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you thought Richardson was exciting (and dynamic), wait til you hear what's in store for tomorrow's zoom call!!!

Question they'll never ask:

"Francis, can you tell us how you became Development Coach for the Habs straight after you retired, without at the time, doing your classes in the minors or learning about the leading coaching techniques from around the world?"

Oh, you're good friends with Bergy. And Geoff liked you? I see.

What a "dynamic" transition.

Last edited:

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga

That's not what Richardson said. His comment about top players was about top players coming out of the word juniors. And he did not say that he expected anything "right away" as you suggested, just that he expected Romanov to do very well.

Here's the full quote:

"Yeah from what we've seen, we're very excited. You know obviously we have to let him have a chance to come in and earn that spot and prove it but it's there for him to do that. And I think from all indications of watching him just practice and play some game in the world juniors, and you know we've evaluated players before and we've seen them come out of the word juniors as stars and do very well in the NHL, top players, so we're expecting nothing less than that from Romanov. Like I said he's a very excitable player, exciting to watch, he plays with passion and excitement and that's always fun and that will look really great on a Saturday night at the Bell Centre."

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's not what Richardson said. His comment about top players was about top players coming out of the word juniors. And he did not say that he expected anything "right away" as you suggested, just that he expected Romanov to do very well.

Here's the full quote:

"Yeah from what we've seen, we're very excited. You know obviously we have to let him have a chance to come in and earn that spot and prove it but it's there for him to do that. And I think from all indications of watching him just practice and play some game in the world juniors, and you know we've evaluated players before and we've seen them come out of the word juniors as stars and do very well in the NHL, top players, so we're expecting nothing less than that from Romanov. Like I said he's a very excitable player, exciting to watch, he plays with passion and excitement and that's always fun and that will look really great on a Saturday night at the Bell Centre."

I was paraphrasing. But the whole interview was about this upcoming season. You cut off your transcription right before the next sentence. "He's a competitor. He's going to surprise a lot of people physically. And you'll see that I'm sure early in the season when people that don't know him so well will be on their butts in our zone which is a great thing for us."

He then goes on to say [ have no time to transcribe], unlike Mete he's physical, so we don't have to worry who's on the ice when we put him out there. And that's going to allow him to get more ice time...

At the end of the day, we'll see by their actions how they handle his development. Hopefully he is not rushed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad