News Article: Canadiens happy with dynamic blue line

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
If Romanov is a top 4 D and can bump either Edmonson or Chariot down the left side is finally good. But that is a lot to ask of a guy coming over at that age.

As for the bottom pairing it would be great if Kulak plays like he did in the playoffs or Mete, Fleury, Juulsen or long shot Brook make huge strides. Good chance Romanov is on the bottom pairing at the end of the season with a playoff pickup.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
You love the point collumn and it shows

BTW since you like the point collumn so much, you might want to put it in context as Petry is 56th for Points Per 60 among dmen who played 40 or more games last season, so considering his defensive inconsistencies on top of that, yeah, he's far from the top 20. He's overused and out of spot. He needs a strong defensive partner, which is not what you typically find in the top 30, let alone the top 20, unless the player is superb offensively, which Petry isn't.
It seems you love the +/- column more than any of us like the points column. And let's not overstate what Petry needs in a defense partner, he just needs someone that doesn't suck.

Oh and I think your stat for points per 60 is wrong. Were you only looking at 5on5? In all situations Petry is 29th in points per 60 among dmen.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't hate Edmudsaon whatsoever, I really like the nastiness in his game.

But a dynamic D-core would of consisted of the Habs going hard after Torey Krug, not Joel Edmundsson.

The offensive contribution from our left side defensmens has been an absolute joke for about 4 years now. Unless Romanov has an unreal growing curve (please don't bring Mete into this), it's not going to be better in 20-21.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
If Petry is not close to being a top 20 now, let's trade him right away because I'm sure a couple teams out there would pay for him as a top 20.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Oh come on man. Weber + Petry as the top 2 RD takes a hell of a lot of beating in the current league. Unremarkable?
Yes, unremarkable. Not the same as terrible.

Our top 2 Dmen play the same side, they're both over 30, and one is quite injury prone. The rest are big players, but as a whole lack mobility and puck moving ability. It's a D corps built for the 90s as far as I'm concerned.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If Petry is not close to being a top 20 now, let's trade him right away because I'm sure a couple teams out there would pay for him as a top 20.

Over the last three seasons, among dmen with over 20mpg of TOI, Petry has one of the very worst on ice save% (,904) and despite playing on a strong ES team, his ES per 60 contribution is not anywhere close to top 20. He's top 20 in total points because he gets overused and is good on the PP. Carey Price's save% has plummeted ever since Petry replaced Markov as the team's #2 (that's top 30-60), averaging close to ,925 in the previous 4 years and averaging less than ,910 in the last 3 seasons.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Over the last three seasons, among dmen with over 20mpg of TOI, Petry has one of the very worst on ice save% (,904) and despite playing on a strong ES team, his ES per 60 contribution is not anywhere close to top 20. He's top 20 in total points because he gets overused and is good on the PP. Carey Price's save% has plummeted ever since Petry replaced Markov as the team's #2 (that's top 30-60), averaging close to ,925 in the previous 4 years and averaging less than ,910 in the last 3 seasons.

Over the last 3 years, Petry has had the following as D partners:

- Brett Kulak
- Karl Alzner
- Mike Reilly
- David Schlemko
- Victor Mete
- Joe Morrow
- Brandon Davidson
- Marco Scandella
- Jakub Jerabek

I would say the plummet in Price's save % would be mainly in regards to Petry having to play with guys who are either barely NHL players or aren't even in the league anymore.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

- Brett Kulak
- Karl Alzner
- Mike Reilly
- David Schlemko
- Victor Mete
- Joe Morrow
- Brandon Davidson
- Marco Scandella
- Jakub Jerabek

I would say the plummet in Price's save % would be mainly in regards to Petry having to play with guys who are either barely NHL players or aren't even in the league anymore.

And yet Weber had to deal with the same problem and managed better overall, especially defensively.

If Petry was anywhere close to a top 20 D in the league, he'd manage to be good defensively despite those partners, especially since he spent a good deal of that TOI as the 2nd pairing, while spending less time as the 1st.

Petry's on-ice save% is abysmal over the last 3 years. Weber, Kulak, Mete, all have much better overall GA60 and On Ice Save%.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

- Brett Kulak
- Karl Alzner
- Mike Reilly
- David Schlemko
- Victor Mete
- Joe Morrow
- Brandon Davidson
- Marco Scandella
- Jakub Jerabek

Scandella was actually a very good serviceable D. The Blues actually signed him long term.

Reactions: MasterD

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Scandella was actually a very good serviceable D. The Blues actually signed him long term.

He was solid here but we only had him for like 20 games, he also spent probably half his time here paired with Mete and Ouellet.

Petry hasn't had a consistent partner since Emelin, who despite being overpaid was able to log plenty of minutes and formed a solid pairing with Emelin. Hopefully one of either Romanov/Edmundson are able to gain chemistry with Petry and form a consistent pairing.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Not that this kind of thing hasn't happened before. Just let the guy be, we can do without the exaggerated projections. He has enough to deal with as it is, coming from a larger ice surface, playing limited minutes and getting used to a new system. He needs time to adapt and grow.

Of course, you're going to have your usual delusional sorts in this market who are going to take Richardson's comments the wrong way or too far but that's just par for the course. Something about this market's propensity to eat their young.
agreed, let he kid skate is 1st game, setting him up for stardom.... slow and sure wins the race

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They done good job drafting in recent years

2 UFA's (Chiarot, Edmundson)
2 Trades from nothing (Petry, Kulak)
1 Trade from a good draft pick (Weber from Subban)
10 good draft picks (Romanov, Mete, Juulsen, Norlinder, Fleury, Brook, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Guhle)

Reactions: Edward Richtofen

Edward Richtofen

Dec 9, 2020
10 good draft picks (Romanov, Mete, Juulsen, Norlinder, Fleury, Brook, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Guhle)
Looking much better than a couple seasons ago...

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Going to look better or worse depending on how the draft picks work out. Could be a log jam or a lack.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmao outside of Petry there is nothing dynamic about that blueline. Maybe if Mete and Romanov can step up but clearly Mete is falling out of favour and Romanov hasn't played a game on NA surface yet. Sorry Luke but I'm not touching your kool aid.

The Trident was dynamic in the playoffs. It was a huge factor on why we beat the Pens and gave the Flyers a huge test. Edmundson and Romanov added improved it. I'm guessing that you value puck movers like Gostisbehere who are horrible in their own end? You probably think the Leafs D looks good too. McDonagh on Tampa... Meh. He can't provide offense eh? Only 5 pts in 22 playoff games. Heck, Chiarot had 2 pts in 10 games. Sharks have Karlsson and Burns on their D and what does that do for them eh?

I would hate to see how you build your D. It would be 6 guys like Rielly and it won't work. Did you know that defensemen are actually suppose to be able to play D? I don't think you understand play with the puck vs play without the puck. Neutralizing along the walls and down low, mobility, and playing physical. It's almost like guys like Drouin, Tatar, Domi, Lehkonen can overcome big dudes that can skate easily eh? :sarcasm:

We are missing a PP QB. Is that what you mean?

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Going to look better or worse depending on how the draft picks work out. Could be a log jam or a lack.

Terms left on Petry, Weber, Chiarot, and Edmundson fall in line nicely with what we have coming behind them. Romanov is 20 and probably does not play AHL at all but others like Guhle, Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, Harris, Norlinder, Struble will take time. It's best those guys are inserted at age 22/23 range vs age 20/21.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Romanov and Norlinder could be something special

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Romanov and Norlinder could be something special

Indeed, and hopefully Harris and Ghule will be very solid. And hopefully there's some depth of quality from some of the others. Not all 10 will make it, but hopefully we've got a couple gems and a couple very solid 2nd pair/#5 dmen.

From 84 to 88 we had drafted Svoboda, Desjardins, Schneider, Sean Hill, Brisebois, Odelein, and they all emerged from the pipeline... That's a complete, first rate dcore.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The Trident was dynamic in the playoffs. It was a huge factor on why we beat the Pens and gave the Flyers a huge test. Edmundson and Romanov added improved it. I'm guessing that you value puck movers like Gostisbehere who are horrible in their own end? You probably think the Leafs D looks good too. McDonagh on Tampa... Meh. He can't provide offense eh? Only 5 pts in 22 playoff games. Heck, Chiarot had 2 pts in 10 games. Sharks have Karlsson and Burns on their D and what does that do for them eh?

I would hate to see how you build your D. It would be 6 guys like Rielly and it won't work. Did you know that defensemen are actually suppose to be able to play D? I don't think you understand play with the puck vs play without the puck. Neutralizing along the walls and down low, mobility, and playing physical. It's almost like guys like Drouin, Tatar, Domi, Lehkonen can overcome big dudes that can skate easily eh? :sarcasm:

We are missing a PP QB. Is that what you mean?

I'm not sure you quite understand what the word "dynamic" means. Nice rant out of nothing though.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Terms left on Petry, Weber, Chiarot, and Edmundson fall in line nicely with what we have coming behind them. Romanov is 20 and probably does not play AHL at all but others like Guhle, Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, Harris, Norlinder, Struble will take time. It's best those guys are inserted at age 22/23 range vs age 20/21.

It works as long as some of the prospects pan out. If none of them is better than a third pairing NHLer the roster is going to be thin. Romanov is probable soon, Guhle is probable eventually, but the others aren't even really likely. Juulsen has injury problems, Fleury regressed, Harris and Norlinder look good but haven't played pro, and Struble has a long way to go still.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is me every time I skim this headline

tenor.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It works as long as some of the prospects pan out. If none of them is better than a third pairing NHLer the roster is going to be thin. Romanov is probable soon, Guhle is probable eventually, but the others aren't even really likely. Juulsen has injury problems, Fleury regressed, Harris and Norlinder look good but haven't played pro, and Struble has a long way to go still.

Hard to imagine not one of Norlinder, Brook, Harris, Fleury, Struble, Mete, Juulsen, or Fairbrother panning out. But stranger things have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad