HF Habs: Canadiens Development Camp (July 1 to 4)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It will be okay for this season but then it will get dicey trying to find chairs for them all. People who think Reinbacher is going to the AHL aren't paying close attention to what is already there. You can also add Struble to the list. One thing is certain we have a variety of different styles to chose from which is awesome for team building. I'm hoping they all hit because like I've mentioned previously that is one heck of a war chest.
I love the instant chemistry between Reinbacher and Hutson because I'm convinced that reinbacher was selected at this year's draft as much fir him as an individual player as for the hope he will insulate Hutson's style of play and enable the smaller D to one day work his magic at the NHL level.

I also like the way that shutdown, Two-way D + offensive dynamo D would transpose to a Guhle -Mailloux pairing.

Lastly, as much as Harris and Barron show good potential, I think the 3rd pairing, down the line, will end up being Xhekaj - Engstrom, providing upside to replace injured Ds higher up in the lineup.

Kovacevic might well stick around as a depth RHD to round out the D.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic

A great D-Corps in the making, with offense and D, plus size, throughout the pairings.

Also, it would leave a great shutdown pairing, depending in game situations with Guhle - Reinbacher, as well as plenty of options for the PP in Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher and Guhle for a first PP wave (Xhekaj and Engstrom would likely be okay also on a 2nd PP wave -- we saw Xhekaj being able to put the puck on net this past season)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It will be okay for this season but then it will get dicey trying to find chairs for them all. People who think Reinbacher is going to the AHL aren't paying close attention to what is already there. You can also add Struble to the list. One thing is certain we have a variety of different styles to chose from which is awesome for team building. I'm hoping they all hit because like I've mentioned previously that is one heck of a war chest.
I'd rather see Rainbacher in AHL. It's a step up from Swiss League. Swiss League only allows 4 imports. Making most rosters made up of lesser Swiss playets. I'd even rather see him in Sweden league. Outside of KHL theirs appear highest level of hockey. Besides NHL of course

Reactions: HankyZetts

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Canada should implement a mandatory military service too, probably. Would bring that much needed rite of passage that is lacking today, and teach young men some nice skills.

+ The world is changing. Need to think about having a more militarily-competent population.
Lmao....could you imagine the bitching and moaning of some Canadian men if they were forced to have military training?

Our society of individual freedoms and tiktok videos would never allow such a thing.

But, I agree with you.

I love the instant chemistry between Reinbacher and Hutson because I'm convinced that reinbacher was selected at this year's draft as much fir him as an individual player as for the hope he will insulate Hutson's style of play and enable the smaller D to one day work his magic at the NHL level.

I also like the way that shutdown, Two-way D + offensive dynamo D would transpose to a Guhle -Mailloux pairing.

Lastly, as much as Harris and Barron show good potential, I think the 3rd pairing, down the line, will end up being Xhekaj - Engstrom, providing upside to replace injured Ds higher up in the lineup.

Kovacevic might well stick around as a depth RHD to round out the D.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic

A great D-Corps in the making, with offense and D, plus size, throughout the pairings.

Also, it would leave a great shutdown pairing, depending in game situations with Guhle - Reinbacher, as well as plenty of options for the PP in Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher and Guhle for a first PP wave (Xhekaj and Engstrom would likely be okay also on a 2nd PP wave -- we saw Xhekaj being able to put the puck on net this past season)
Engstrom is certainly giving us options. Barron could be expendable one day and a nice trade chip.

Reactions: Paddy17

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Need one elite forward and we’re good.
We've said this for the last.... thirty years :laugh:. That's the whole thing; it just doesn't happen overnight nor falls into your lap. You have to make it happen.

Put that elusive elite forward on that 2014 or 2015 edition and the Habs are lights out. Pick any Prime Price years and add an elite forward, and we are a very different franchise.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
So the consensus is that out D crop is incredibly deep at all levels. And that we are missing forward game breakers/talent.

Let’s bookmark this consensus and discuss this again in 2 seasons from now. Because I believe one will tie in with the other in about that timeframe.
Qui Dino, QUI :laugh: ??

I feel like I'm having a conversion like this every decade where we can see the Habs having a great back end but are lacking that elusive elite forward/centerman. Still not happening :laugh:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Can I ask why? The team is the exact same and hell you could make a case that Monty won't be as good. I guess you could say fewer injuries (especially to guys like CC and Monahan) but even then down the stretch, it was RHP/Belzile carrying us. 5-10 is where I'm expecting.
That's a good question;

My thesis is this; to achieve a top 5 again... let's pick a Chicago team that didn't quite finish last (imagine that :laugh:) and what had to happen.

- Trade Dach and Cat = We'd have to shut down Caufield and "remove" Dach altogether
- Sit out DVo to mirror Toews being out
- Keep Suzuki until Trade deadline to mirror Kane leaving
- Keep Marty out and replace him with our actual D coach Robidas
- Sign fodder to fill this lineup.

I can see why people figure it would be difficult to go top 5 again. We'd need a divine intervention again on the injury front and a very low progression from our back end.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Lmao....could you imagine the bitching and moaning of some Canadian men if they were forced to have military training?

Our society of individual freedoms and tiktok videos would never allow such a thing.

But, I agree with you.

Agreed, the people who refuse to wear a mask or get a vaccine would never, ever stand for mandatory military service. They'd get chewed up and spit out the second they're told what to do. We don't need a bunch of Karens in our armed forces anyway.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Kudos to Byron for talking to the kids. A guy that doesn't have a contract that still believes it's important to get his message through....will anybody be surprised if this guy is named soon in the development team?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Oh man. I am excited by our futures.

I have been impressed with Engstrom, Hutson and Tuch.

Guhle Reinbacher
Hutson - Engstrom

It projects incredibly well for the futures.

We could get Hutson in a spot where we totally maximize his talents, with prime PP minutes and offensive start. Engstrom has offensive skills too. He displayed some dipsy-doodle in the SHL this season and he has a very good vision and IQ. They could make an interesting, offensive pair in a 2nd pairing role at 5v5.

Guhle-Reinbacher is a strong top pairing all day all night, abuse them, defensive start, against other team top lines, top PK, these guy will be worth their penny. This defensive would then all be completed by other young, swaggerish, diversified players such as Xhekaj, Harris, Barron and Mailloux. We could use one of those 4, along with a 2025 CGY pick and maybe other pieces to go after an already establish offensive player that would bring our forward core to another level. If CGY is not in a playoff spot in 2025, it could hold massive value. I think Reinbacher has the 1D swagger. The way he skates, makes his passes, his lankyness, a bit goofy at times. He has it stylishly. I think Trudeau stood out last year in Laval and he was good in this camp too but its hard to pictures him being a part of our defensive in the futures.

I am less excited by our forwards group but on the other hands, we already have Dach and Slafkovsky who brings a lot of excitement and potential already in the NHL and Newhook remains to be seen. We have every reason to be excited by Nick and Cole too. 1B top centerman/2A+ top centerman. Stylish winger 40 goals, exciting goal scorer with potential to have a couple of season above 50. In the development camp, i think Tuch impressed me

Dislike the move individually all you want, but we clearly have a management group that has a plan and a direction, and they are building something. These guy inherited Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle as main pieces. In two years, they added Slafkovksky, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher. That is quite the haul. Top six power forward. Prospective 6ft5 puck possesion 1C. Hutson has the potential to be an absolute defensive offenseman in this league, sincerely its megastar potential and he has the swagger for it. Reinbacher, rock top pairing RD. It's f***ing massive and its not counting Engstrom, Beck, Newhook, Barron, etc. At this point, who cares if Mesar flop.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I do not understand the non-selection of Dell'Elce.....they invited him. clearly, they then thought he was worth it. And yet, not only they go with the Russians...but they selected Middlestadt instead of him while I swear you thought Luke was the invitee and Dell'Elce was a 4th round pick..And I like Middlestadt...but Dell'Elce was worth a pick.

Reactions: bopeep

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I do not understand the non-selection of Dell'Elce.....they invited him. clearly, they then thought he was worth it. And yet, not only they go with the Russians...but they selected Middlestadt instead of him while I swear you thought Luke was the invitee and Dell'Elce was a 4th round pick..And I like Middlestadt...but Dell'Elce was worth a pick.
Give him a contract ala Xhekaj?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well no team selected him so it’s moot to question why the Habs didn’t select him. I assume scouts rarely ever go to watching Canadian High School hockey and I doubt those games are taped all too often.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
1990 we had Desjardins, Svoboda, Lefebvre, Daigneault, Schneider, Odelein, all 24 and under.

+ Brisebois still as a prospect.

I would easily choose the 1990 group over what we have. It was a masterpiece of self-destruction that we didn't dominate the 1990s with that kind of promising blueline.

And that's ignoring Chelios and Ludwig, who were still in their 20s.
I loved Mathieu Schneider, was so bummed when we traded him even though it was a very good trade

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I have no clue I don't run because of a bad knee I can't handle the impact. Which is why I was on the bike I have no issues with that motion.
Keep in mind i was over 50 years old when I did that rehab and there was also some tension applied to the wheel.

Which is unfortunate because back in the day Rapala was a world class runner, they were often referred to as "Rapala the impala" :sarcasm:

Just kidding ofcourse, was just looking for a reason to share this silly video. :)

Sue me, I'm bored.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Frankie Boo saying that Mailloux is one of the closest Habs prospects to the NHL.

Loves his build: “y’a une bonne charpente. »

I loved watching players try to intimidate Cube and go too far a la Darcy Tucker. Way back when we had a Dman build exactly the same way in Junior B hockey and he destroyed any and everyone who challenged him. It was great for us smaller dudes on the team we could ply our trade in peace by mid season. :laugh:
Speaking of Mailloux We will see how Robidas likes his brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad