Post-Game Talk: Canadiens at Rangers - November 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You know what's strange?

There's only one player on the Rangers who wasn't on the ice for a goal last night. That player is Dan Boyle.

He was really good defensively last night, so obviously it's okay. Just.....weird.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Hank said he's worked a lot on playing the puck. He wants a goal

He tried for a goal a couple times in his rookie season when they were up by 2 with an empty net but I think both times it ended up in his net lol

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You know what's strange?

There's only one player on the Rangers who wasn't on the ice for a goal last night. That player is Dan Boyle.

He was really good defensively last night, so obviously it's okay. Just.....weird.

I'm surprised Boyle doesn't have a point yet.

But he has played well. I like what he has done on the PP for us. I think once he starts scoring points, the PP will also take off.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can we just play the teams we beat last year in the play offs? Apparently we don't give up goals against those @ MSG haha.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It was Hank's fault. This drives me nuts with goalies. If you want to leave your crease, especially in that area (i.e., not behind the net), you deserve to get hit just like anyone else. Prust should be allowed to completely blow him up there if he wants to. It's an unfair advantage these goalies have outside of the crease.

As others have said, Goalies aren't protected the same way skaters are, to combat hits. Also, not trained to be able to take hits and such.

I'm a goalie and I always had a little Hextall in me and would get chippy and throw my body around sometimes, but I was a very rare case in goalies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We scored 5 times last night and none of them got me as fired up as Klein standing up for his goalie.

You don't touch my goalie. And I like to pick on Hank sometimes, but that doesn't mean guys on the other team get to do it. And I don't care if it wasn't a huge deal of contact, you still don't touch my goalie.

I loved seeing that from Klein.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's kind of mind-boggling that every forward got a point on only five goals. The generous scoring given on MSL's goal don't even matter, because J Moore is not a forward and Kreider had another assist.

Beautiful, beautiful game. Wonder if Habs fans are saying this would have been a 1-0 Montreal shootout win if only Price had started.

Habs fans' favorite excuse is that the Habs "play better with Price in net". In other words, no matter how badly they lose without him in net, they would have won otherwise. So they probably think they would have won 5-0 with him in net.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
We scored 5 times last night and none of them got me as fired up as Klein standing up for his goalie.

You don't touch my goalie. And I like to pick on Hank sometimes, but that doesn't mean guys on the other team get to do it. And I don't care if it wasn't a huge deal of contact, you still don't touch my goalie.

I loved seeing that from Klein.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He tried for a goal a couple times in his rookie season when they were up by 2 with an empty net but I think both times it ended up in his net lol

I think one time was v. the Flyers in I want to say 06-07 but I'm not sure of the year. Tried shooting it and it got knocked down in the slot and they scored immediately. Don't think he's tried again since :laugh:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I think one time was v. the Flyers in I want to say 06-07 but I'm not sure of the year. Tried shooting it and it got knocked down in the slot and they scored immediately. Don't think he's tried again since :laugh:

It was, good memory.

Straka had a hat trick.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As others have said, Goalies aren't protected the same way skaters are, to combat hits. Also, not trained to be able to take hits and such.

I'm a goalie and I always had a little Hextall in me and would get chippy and throw my body around sometimes, but I was a very rare case in goalies.

Fair enough. Simple solution - stay in your crease. The only place this double standard should be valid, in my opinion, is in the crease. Those rights should be given up completely if you want to do more than tend the net.

It was, good memory.

Straka had a hat trick.

Man, that line was so ****ing good. I loved Nylander's puck control and skating. So much fun to watch.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
With their padding and other equipment, goalies are at a distinct disadvantage when they leave the crease. It would be silly to treat them the same as a regular skater just because they leave the confines of their crease. Being protected from getting run isn't an advantage they have over other players; it's just a rule to protect them and help mitigate the disadvantage they're at due to their equipment.

I'd ban goalies from leaving the crease/trapezoid before I make them fair game. The latter would just be terrible.

I just want to make it clear that I am not disputing anything you guys are saying. All of the things you mentioned are why the crease, and the double standard it represents wrt the protection it provides, exists. To extend this protection beyond the crease, where goaltenders are no longer just tending the goal, is unfair in my eyes.

To me, a goalie is the player sitting in the crease blocking the net. A goalie coming out of the crease to play the puck is a defenseman, and if he wants to do that, he should do so at the risk of getting hit just like any other defenseman. If a goalie doesn't have time to swiftly retrieve and move a puck before getting hit because his equipment affects his mobility too much, he should simply stay in the crease.

I'll admit that this is all coming from a guy who has played as a forward throughout my hockey "career". Nothing more frustrating than a goalie swinging out of the crease to block you on a forecheck and knowing that you have to let up or change direction to avoid him, even though they put themselves in your path. Stay in the crease. Very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad