News Article: Canadiens are betting the house on Marc Bergevin and Claude Julien

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
picking late 1st and often blueliners didn't help, but if Galchenyuk was still here putting up 20-30 goals things would look better there having just a mistake in McCarron, a local kid that was very poorly handled in Leblanc and the worst case of development i've ever seen in Scherbak. Why he didn't take more shots at forwards I can't say and why he seems better at picking defensemen then forwards I don't know either.

That '08 to '16 era of picks set up him very poorly and while many hate, MB was right to some degree as Timmins was unlucky that the ONLY 2 years in those 9 drafts where he had both a 1st and 2nd round pick, ends up being one of the weakest drafts in some time ('12) and the other wasn't much better outside the top 15 or so.

I know, I know just an excuse, but case in point is Leks. You don't like him, you don't like Timmins, but between the '09 and '16 drafts he had a 2nd round pick just 2 freaking times. Both ended up being weak drafts and we know this as Timmins with a late 2nd round pick (7th to last pick of the round) and yet he ends up with the 2nd highest scoring player from the entire 2nd round. So clearly he did something right there. Add in DLR who is 6th or so in points for that round and we all know he was never going to be a guy that puts up that many points yet out of the 31 picks from that round Timmins lands 2 of the top 6 or so scorers.

So it's safe to say that '13 was a shit year to have 3 2nd round picks, when Leks has the 2nd most points in the f***ing entire 2nd round. Now we can look at '12 and say why did he do so badly there in Collberg and Thrower, and it's clear he swung and missed. It is a really weak draft as evidenced by how poorly the top part of the draft has done which is never a good sign when 2 of the top 4 picks are in the KHL years later and a 3rd might not be too far behind if he doesn't get his shit together.

But the Sergachev trade is not his fault, just like the McDonagh trade wasn't and neither the Subban. If the GM's got better returns on their assets, things would have looked much better. Now Sergachev looks like he was a hell of a pick and Drouin is a cream puff. If our GM that wins so many trades gets a much better player then Drouin, fans would likely be happy about the trade.

It's not only the 08-16 period. It's the entire time Timmins was here. The main reason people are getting restless now is because his 17 and 18 picks are disappointing at this moment. Yea I know it's still early but so far, Poehling has looked outright bad, Brook is struggling in his first year pro, Ikonen is nowhere to be found, Fleury surprised many but got sent down, and KK has struggled for over 1 calendar year now. Romanov has upside to be a solid defensive d-man but is still in the KHL, Olafsson (see Ikonen), Ylonen is starting in his North American hockey career, Primeau will likely be a starter eventually but needs time. As you can see, there's a lot of disappointments and unknowns and combined with what we were given from Timmins since 2003, there's a legit reason to think that none of these players will pan out to become what they were supposed to be.

BTW, do you really think that Timmins has nothing to do with the trades that Bergevin has made? I remember precisely in 2017 after the Drouin trade, Timmins was all smile and said: "No Sergachev, no Drouin". He implied that if he had gone for needs (like many fans suggested) the year before and drafted a center (Logan Brown, Mcleod, Jost), then the Habs wouldn't have been able to get Drouin in 2017. Timmins is Bergevin's assistant GM and is his trusted right hand man. You can hear them talk and defend one another all the time.
(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ben Chariot

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's been a disaster in the development part as well.
Sure but I mean he should have drafted a real good player since 08 regardless of development. I don't agree that Sly ruined every single prospect we had, but if that's the case, we needed some college player to have made the team with a serious impact. If not college, then from a European league or KHL. Only took 7 years to fire Sly lol, hope it won't take as long with Timmins getting fired because we are going nowhere with him in charge.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sure but I mean he should have drafted a real good player since 08 regardless of development. I don't agree that Sly ruined every single prospect we had, but if that's the case, we needed some college player to have made the team with a serious impact. If not college, then from a European league or KHL. Only took 7 years to fire Sly lol, hope it won't take as long with Timmins getting fired because we are going nowhere with him in charge.

McCarron should have been in College, that's not the path they encouraged him in. LeBlanc could have stayed longer, same thing there. Who brought De La Rose over at 19 ? To be coached by Lefebvre and MThead. This goes on and on.

Gallagher is one of 100, an unbustables and he's the only one who didn't bust. Lehkonen too, to some extent. He spent years in Europe as well, and looked better offensively his first year than any since.

Timmins is far from a draft genius, he sucks, but it's all the more compounded by an idiot management team doing its best for short term results over the long term. Obviously, not all this is on MB as LeBlanc was pre-idiot.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
McCarron should have been in College, that's not the path they encouraged him in. LeBlanc could have stayed longer, same thing there. Who brought De La Rose over at 19 ? To be coached by Lefebvre and MThead. This goes on and on.

Gallagher is one of 100, an unbustables and he's the only one who didn't bust. Lehkonen too, to some extent. He spent years in Europe as well, and looked better offensively his first year than any since.

Timmins is far from a draft genius, he sucks, but it's all the more compounded by an idiot management team doing its best for short term results over the long term. Obviously, not all this is on MB as LeBlanc was pre-idiot.
McCarron never had good upside. We drafted him because he's big. Giving him superpowers was the only way to develop him into a great player.

Well he needed to draft an "unbustable" that can be a great player for this team, I'm talking about a player better than Gally. Really no excuse for that, he needs to go.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
What does dropping out of high school have to do with anything!!!!????

Why don’t you explain to us tte circumstances that led to him dropping out??....how did it all go down??

what school did he drop out from??

like enough.....the fact that you’re trying to link dropping out of school with success is laughable.

What success?

And what year did you drop out?

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Why don’t you explain to us tte circumstances that led to him dropping out??....how did it all go down??

like enough.....the fact that you’re trying to link dropping out of school with success is laughable.

Lol. Easy there, killer.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Come on jaffy27, having a guy running the team who does not even have a high school education, is not a very good idea. The results are in, and it's not...who knows why he left school, to play hockey probably, but most of the kids that do that still continue their education.
MB has proven to be as dumb as a bag of hammers, no one can dispute that, and since most of his counterparts are educated, with thought and planning going into their thought process, puts our guy at a real disadvantage.
The bottom line here, is we have had ZERO results with a guy who seems to struggle at best with building a team. His hockey experience has not helped him whatsoever. It shows...his communication skills are beyond bad...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Come on jaffy27, having a guy running the team who does not even have a high school education, is not a very good idea. The results are in, and it's not...who knows why he left school, to play hockey probably, but most of the kids that do that still continue their education.
MB has proven to be as dumb as a bag of hammers, no one can dispute that, and since most of his counterparts are educated, with thought and planning going into their thought process, puts our guy at a real disadvantage.
The bottom line here, is we have had ZERO results with a guy who seems to struggle at best with building a team. His hockey experience has not helped him whatsoever. It shows...his communication skills are beyond bad...
Higher education doesn't seem to be tied to success as a GM. Neither Sakic (Colorado), Armstrong (St. Louis) nor Yzerman (Detroit) finished or went beyond high school. On the other hand, Sweeney (Boston) attended Harvard U but didn't graduate, Bowman (Chicago) graduated from U of Notre Dame, and Fletcher (Flyers) is a Harvard grad. The current group is all over the map.

You'll see more college education in the older generation of GMs, before the current trend of hiring ex-players.

I'm sure there are common qualities among successful GMs, but education doesn't seem to be one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy and BLONG7

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I'm convinced that Bergevin has dirt on Molson, and that is the only reason he hasn't been fired.

Any other team would've kicked him out years ago.

Reactions: BLONG7

Hockey POTUS

Jul 20, 2016
It’s not a stretch. One guy was winning the Norris and coming in third place, the other was finishing 12th. There was not a better first pairing in the league.
That pairing helped Price to a Vezina and Hart trophy in 2015. He hasn't been as good since Subban was traded and Markov was given Bergie's "take it or leave it" offer. When Subban went to Nashville suddenly Rinne won his first Vezina at age 35. Not a coincidence.

Except for this season Subban has been clearly better than Weber.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Higher education doesn't seem to be tied to success as a GM. Neither Sakic (Colorado), Armstrong (St. Louis) nor Yzerman (Detroit) finished or went beyond high school. On the other hand, Sweeney (Boston) attended Harvard U but didn't graduate, Bowman (Chicago) graduated from U of Notre Dame, and Fletcher (Flyers) is a Harvard grad. The current group is all over the map.

You'll see more college education in the older generation of GMs, before the current trend of hiring ex-players.

I'm sure there are common qualities among successful GMs, but education doesn't seem to be one of them.
Some good points, that being said, MB's lack of education is shining through in a big way right now. His communications skills, and lack of intelligence are at the forefront of comments like, I don't believe in windows of opportunity! The, say one thing, and do the opposite, the contradicting of himself, inside of the same sentence at times.....These things sure don't help.

No matter how you slice it, we have a clown running the show in Montreal. ZERO accountability. Educated, or not....

Reactions: Pickles and Lshap

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I don’t understand how they should stay. We’ll have a higher pick with the draft in Montreal. It’s the perfect time to have a new regime

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oh yeah I see some of these college grads these days....not that impressive.

Reactions: BLONG7

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Some good points, that being said, MB's lack of education is shining through in a big way right now. His communications skills, and lack of intelligence are at the forefront of comments like, I don't believe in windows of opportunity! The, say one thing, and do the opposite, the contradicting of himself, inside of the same sentence at times.....These things sure don't help.

No matter how you slice it, we have a clown running the show in Montreal. ZERO accountability. Educated, or not....

Are you in love with school or something?

I have a PhD, and I feel comfortable dismissing your post.

It's not Bergevin's lack of education that shines through, it's his lack of intelligence and intellectuality, which are variables that are independent of schooling. Bergevin left the school system because he had better options, not because he couldn't finish school ... there are tons of morons who finish school. If Bergevin had gone to college, he might have been like a lot of other people in college and only interested in "getting that piece of paper already", and that would not have made him a better GM.

Oh yeah I see some of these college grads these days....not that impressive.
Agreed, in and of itself, a degree means very little.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

It's not Bergevin's lack of education that shines through, it's his lack of intelligence and intellectuality, which are variables that are independent of schooling. Bergevin left the school system because he had better options, not because he couldn't finish school ... there are tons of morons who finish school. If Bergevin had gone to college, he might have been like a lot of other people in college and only interested in "getting that piece of paper already", and that would not have made him a better GM.

True enough, my thought process, is that education usually leads to intelligence, and that may not be the case....absolutely

No matter how you slice it, we have a clown running the show in MOntreal.......definitely lacking intelligence.

Reactions: angusyoung

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Memorizing a textbook /= intelligence

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That is 100% my point. It's MBs biggest mistake.

MB's biggest mistake is clearly not stepping down as it would have fired up the fan base just to not have him around any more.

But I don't see Timmins as the biggest problem, not when he drafts guys like Pac, Price, Subban, Sergachev, McDonagh, Gallgaher, plus lots of NHLers like Halak, Streit, Emelin, Leks, DLR, Chipchura and a current very deep farm system.

That said clearly he's made too many mistakes drafting forwards and in the 1st round. What Kotka and Caufield turn into could help there but the system is heavily loaded towards D prospects so unless they find some gems at forward in June he's likely going to continue to have major knocks against his drafting of forwards.

It's not only the 08-16 period. It's the entire time Timmins was here. The main reason people are getting restless now is because his 17 and 18 picks are disappointing at this moment. Yea I know it's still early but so far, Poehling has looked outright bad, Brook is struggling in his first year pro, Ikonen is nowhere to be found, Fleury surprised many but got sent down, and KK has struggled for over 1 calendar year now. Romanov has upside to be a solid defensive d-man but is still in the KHL, Olafsson (see Ikonen), Ylonen is starting in his North American hockey career, Primeau will likely be a starter eventually but needs time. As you can see, there's a lot of disappointments and unknowns and combined with what we were given from Timmins since 2003, there's a legit reason to think that none of these players will pan out to become what they were supposed to be.

BTW, do you really think that Timmins has nothing to do with the trades that Bergevin has made? I remember precisely in 2017 after the Drouin trade, Timmins was all smile and said: "No Sergachev, no Drouin". He implied that if he had gone for needs (like many fans suggested) the year before and drafted a center (Logan Brown, Mcleod, Jost), then the Habs wouldn't have been able to get Drouin in 2017. Timmins is Bergevin's assistant GM and is his trusted right hand man. You can hear them talk and defend one another all the time.
(mod)

you can't really get too focused on the '17, '18 guys just yet. It's indeed looking very concerning for Poehling (though he has been handled terribly once again) and Brook has been a major disappointment though he's playing his best hockey to date as a pro.

Ikonen can't stay healthy so we have to wait and see there, it's not the scouts fault there as I don't recall him having any injury history before being drafted. Fleury we'll see what he turns into. Kotka last year fans were over the moon as well on draft day, so we'll see how it goes for him.

Romanov crushed it at the WJC's again and should be here in the Fall. Primeau after being the top goalie in the NCAA at 19 has had a good year in the AHL, Caufield one of the best goal scorers in the NCAA.

Just as Sergachev continues to look like a very good pick, Leks the 2nd highest scorer in the 2nd round of 2013. Pac is having a career year. Tinordi might finally be able to stick in the NHL.

Clearly Timmins can find NHL players, the problem is he needs to find better ones and more forwards.

As for the trade I don't know how that went down, I'm certain he would be consulted on the Pac trade since he would have scouted Suzuki the year before especially since he was teammates with one of our prospects in McNiven. We know he wasn't happy when McDonagh got traded and he wasn't made aware so I don't know what GM's do if they consult the others like Scott Mellanby, Timmins or not.

It's the same thing that we don't know if MB says to Timmins in '13 we need to draft bigger players after bringing in his buddy Churla that year. There's lots of unknowns as to what goes on, who gets credit for what, who gets blame. At the end of the day everyone in the organization needs to do a better job or we wouldn't be in this mess.

I keep saying the same thing, first move is hire a real president and get a new GM, then go from there. If the new GM cleans house then so be it. (though I hope they keep the new Swedish scout to see if he's legit or not)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's scary about Bergevin/Molson believing in this team, currently there are only 4 teams in the league with less ROW then us. wings 17, ducks, nj, sens 24 and we have played more games then all but the wings who clearly are one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
What's scary about Bergevin/Molson believing in this team, currently there are only 4 teams in the league with less ROW then us. wings 17, ducks, nj, sens 24 and we have played more games then all but the wings who clearly are one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL.

26w0aj.jpg

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I don’t understand how they should stay. We’ll have a higher pick with the draft in Montreal. It’s the perfect time to have a new regime

2020 Draft host : "Montreal you're on the clock."

Marc Bergevin makes his way to the podium under a chorus of boos while the other GMs struggle to contain their laughter.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Let's consider this scouting vs development question in a different way. What if you're wrong? Specifically, what if coaches and organizations really can harm the development of players. That would affect your results as an organization no matter what kind of scout you have. And in that case let's say you fire your whole scouting department and hire a new one. If it works, great. What if it doesn't work? Do you need to wait another decade before you finally address the development in your organization?

Making sure that your club is the premier developper of talent in the NHL is just the smart thing to do.
Except the Habs fired all their development coaches in Laval almost two years ago. We got a whole new bunch of coaches down there. In another two years if our prospects keep falling to the garbage dump can we start thinking about firing Timmins or will it be the fault of Lapointe and Ramage.

Also this narrative of blaming the development team is off the mark. Most of Timmins's picks never make it as far as the AHL. I'll select one year and show you that Timmins' picks were "ruined" before even the ogre Lefebvre had a chance to steal their future from them. Let's look at the 2012 draft picks.

Galchenyuk: Never saw a minute in the AHL. Had serious holes in his game and never improved. Was traded at the age of 24 and his career trajectory is downwards.
Collberg: Played two games in Hamilton. That was enough for MB to realize he was dispensable. The kid bounced around the AHL, ECHL, SweHl and Austria.
Thrower: played 9 games in St John's. Proved to be an ECHL player
Bozon: played 42 games in St John's & Hamilton. I won't hold this pick against Timmins he fell seriously ill.
Vail. Saw 17 games in Hamilton wasn't signed and bounced around the AHL and ECHL
Hudon: has gone through 3 coaches (Lefebvre, Julien and Bouchard) Is not nothing more than a bubble NHLer
Nystrom: played 17 games in Hamilton. The Habs came to some sort of agreement where he returned to play in Europe. He bounced around in European leagues.

That's one year. You look through the following years and it's the same damn thing. Very, very few picks land in the hands of our AHL coaches. Now is that a development problem or a scouting staff that doesn't know their rear end from a hockey stick?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
picking late 1st and often blueliners didn't help,

You really think I'm going to let you post that and not push back. So he picked blueliners most often. Okay, where are these blueliners on the big team? Last night there was not one defencemen playing on the Habs that was drafted by Timmins. If we didn't have any injuries, Timmins would have placed one d-man on the squad, the seriously flawed Victor Mete. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Timmins's drafting abilities when it comes to his drafting strength - defencemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad