News Article: Canadiens are betting the house on Marc Bergevin and Claude Julien

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think they're gambling much at all - this mediocrity is still profitable.

I think a full rebuild would be really betting the house. Fans WOULD NOT show up for a losing team 5 years in a row. That would be betting the house: that 5 years of losses would be re-couped by a competitive team in 5 years.

Reactions: demetan33

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I don't think they're gambling much at all - this mediocrity is still profitable.

I think a full rebuild would be really betting the house. Fans WOULD NOT show up for a losing team 5 years in a row. That would be betting the house: that 5 years of losses would be re-couped by a competitive team in 5 years.

They're still showing up for 4 years of losing in a row, what makes you think another year would change that

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

Agreed, not to mention that while I'm sure attendance would decrease, I think the hope for the future and a clear direction would allow some to embrace the rebuild and go to games to watch the young kids.

Compare that to now where I think what people are most upset about is the absence of any sort of plan or even seemingly logic when looking ahead over the next few years.

We might find that more people will show up to watch a truly rebuilding team than would show up to watch a middling team with no real direction.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

That's simply wrong. You can't take 5 years to rebuild anymore. Good players get paid big bucks after their ELC. See what happened to the Oilers and Leafs. They got into cap hell BEFORE they won anything.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They're still showing up for 4 years of losing in a row, what makes you think another year would change that

they showed up last year because the team was competitive. We were doing well early on and that kept us in the race until recently.

A real rebuild means not having the .500 record that you call losing. It means being about .333. We haven't seen what fans will do with that for 1 year - let alone 5 years in a row.

Look much worse the team is without Tatar. Imagine no Tatar and Petry, or no Tatar, Petry, Weber, and Price.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's simply wrong. You can't take 5 years to rebuild anymore. Good players get paid big bucks after their ELC. See what happened to the Oilers and Leafs. They got into cap hell BEFORE they won anything.

sorry what part is wrong?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
TL/DR

Basically MB and CJ are in it together. If the Habs miss the playoffs again in 20-21, if anyone is going to be the scapegoat both are going to suffer the fate together.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Habs are bout to miss the PO for the 4th time in 5 years and yet...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs are bout to miss the PO for the 4th time in 5 years and yet...

Thank you for pointing that out I wasn't aware of that.

I'm talking about being at the very bottom of the standings, as opposed to a bubble team. I didn't think that would go way over so many peoples' heads.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mol$on is not betting on these clowns, he is stuck with them, and too cheap to fire them, and hire 2 real replacements who can restart the entire organization.

The real crux here is, Geoff needs to replace himself, before anything meaningful will really happen to the Habs.

It smells really bad in Montreal folks, and no one wants to take the garbage out.......it ain't going away .

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Thank you for pointing that out I wasn't aware of that.

I'm talking about being at the very bottom of the standings, as opposed to a bubble team. I didn't think that would go way over so many peoples' heads.
drafted 3rd overall last season, the Habs have been a bubble team for 20 games this season...

besides, it's a myth... there was no uproars when Berrgevin announced a reset, and there was no uproars either when Molson later on announced it would probably take 3 to 5 years to be competitive...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
drafted 3rd overall last season, the Habs have been a bubble team for 20 games this season...

besides, it's a myth... there was no uproars when Berrgevin announced a reset, and there was no uproars either when Molson later on announced it would probably take 3 to 5 years to be competitive...
It may not seem like there is no financial effect but hardly anyone buys Habs stuff anymore, and the waiting list for season tickets evaporated in 1 year after the 2017-18 season.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

of course you can. building through the draft is, unquestionably, the most reliable way to build a winner. 2 or 3 years of good drafting with high picks, then 2 or 3 years for them to develop.

the Rangers are a couple years in and looking good. They're already in the playoff hunt.

the Leafs had the timeline right but made a couple mistakes and kept running into the Bruins. Perhaps instead of paying Nylander or Tavares, they should have added defense. The Oilers have made mistakes too. Pulju, Larsson.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
of course you can. building through the draft is, unquestionably, the most reliable way to build a winner. 2 or 3 years of good drafting with high picks, then 2 or 3 years for them to develop.

the Rangers are a couple years in and looking good. They're already in the playoff hunt.

the Leafs had the timeline right but made a couple mistakes and kept running into the Bruins. Perhaps instead of paying Nylander or Tavares, they should have added defense. The Oilers have made mistakes too. Pulju, Larsson.

MB has done jack squat

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It may not seem like there is no financial effect but hardly anyone buys Habs stuff anymore, and the waiting list for season tickets evaporated in 1 year after the 2017-18 season.

agreed. i think disinterest can snowball pretty quickly.

it starts when the sellout streak ends. then the secondary market becomes cheaper. next thing you notice is empty seats. then it becomes less of an "event" to go see a game, no longer a cool thing to do. all of a sudden it starts getting difficult to win back the fan base.

Reactions: Pickles and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad