News Article: Canadiens’ Andrei Markov reflects on journey from Moscow to Montreal

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Undeniably one of the best things to happen to the Habs along with Sak and IMO Plek (I know most won't get the love for Plekanec).

I was vehemently defending the contract even after the injury because I knew he would eventually return and be worth it. Despite some trouble at the end (Emelin's loss was possibly the biggest factor in where our season went wrong), he a) probably got PK to realize there's another D ace on the team and hurried him back after, what, 6 games of Markov dominance? and b) Hadn't lost his vision or creativity.

He's a captain in his own right and so important to the team. So hoping he takes a farewell hometown discount for his last contract with us. I know many want him gone (it's infuriating to read the negative stuff about him on this board), but having him retire with us is not just for goodwill -- we need him to cover the next ~3 years, even if his role diminishes. Hopefully Bergevin realizes this.

I remember that last second goal against Boston where he went top corner. Money.

He really will be important to mentor and solidify our blueline with a huge influx of youth coming. I think he'll take a discount (hopefully). I also would love to see Tinordi with him, while Emelin goes with Subban.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
''“There’s a Russian expression: ‘If you never take a risk, you’re never going to drink champagne.’'' - Andrei markov :laugh:

classy guy. hope he sticks around. Him and pleks are habs through and through. Their shirts might not be up there, but they are part of the family, and always will be. I always grin when I see comments about ''euros'' and ''russians'' .... when a guy like Patrick roy who was phenomenal turned his back on the club. I wish them both a cup.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
''“There’s a Russian expression: ‘If you never take a risk, you’re never going to drink champagne.’'' - Andrei markov :laugh:

classy guy. hope he sticks around. Him and pleks are habs through and through. Their shirts might not be up there, but they are part of the family, and always will be. I always grin when I see comments about ''euros'' and ''russians'' .... when a guy like Patrick roy who was phenomenal turned his back on the club. I wish them both a cup.

I'm with MasterDecoy, Markov's # should be up there at some point. And I love Saku, but before him.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Markoff, how about we dipper a bit more about your divorce ,and the penalty you served for your addictions...on and off the bed...

7a9fa1865196e4a838b342975077fe48.jpeg

Markov79.jpeg

7a9fa1865196e4a838b342975077fe48.jpeg

Markov79.jpeg

dave_stubbs.jpg

Ok, nevermind

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Until the new Subban era where we finally seem to have a larger core, it's hard for me to choose between Saku, Plek, and Markov for my favourite player over the last decade.

Somehow Markov, after all he's been through, remains underrated by Habs fans (in his prime he was perhaps overrated, but as soon as he went down, the doubters all came out). Would be nice if he ends his NHL career in Montreal, but either way, he's as much of a modern Habs icon as Saku was. He wasn't physical, but he never backed down either, and was perhaps one of the greatest PP quarterbacks of all time. He had his ups and downs last year, but considering what he went through, he was a big (and somehow underrated) part of us overachieving last year. It's a shame we never got to see prime Markov play with Subban, but he still has plenty to offer.

Nice read, Stubbs should stick to this stuff. Give up the day-to-day reporting to someone who actually likes to write about hockey and not someone who likes to talk about everything EXCEPT hockey.

Say what you want about Stubbs, he does serve a role when 90% of his equally hackish peers are out to do hit pieces. A guy like Markov isn't going to open up to most journalists who know they can get plenty of attention making him into a Russian hockey stereotype or by manufacturing scandal by baiting him into saying something critical about Subban or Bergevin.

He has very little to offer when it comes to hockey, but there's a place for hearing the players side of the story and to learn more about them, so Stubbs does serve his niche. I'll still make fun of him, but it's pieces like this that he's good at.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Him and pleks are habs through and through. Their shirts might not be up there, but they are part of the family, and always will be.

Markov and Pleks get **** on constantly but still wear the CH. Maybe that's why I respect them miles more than someone who left for greener pastures.

But to me, in my heart, both Pleks and Markov will finish their career in Montreal. If I'm wrong, well I can't be wrong, I hated Dryden as a 12 year old and he went on to work for the Leafs as president. Sometimes, its just in your heart. I'm gonna get blasted for this but to me, the CH was never in Saku's Heart, he was a loyal Hab and gave it all but it wasn't because he never learnt french.

I hate the french aspect of the Habs but even Russian Markov talked about the importannce of not knowing either French or English. Markov loved the Habs so much, he became a Canadian citizen and called Montreal his first home. Did Saku ever do that? No, he left for California.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
I'm waiting for him to pen his exploits from Milan to Minsk. It's always the quiet ones you know. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad