News Article: Canadiens’ Andrei Markov reflects on journey from Moscow to Montreal

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I love Markov!

So happy he stay with us in 2007.

Only old school members will remember this:

tumblr_mte3vb2QUx1shr61qo1_500.jpg

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Stubbs had that much access to Markov and I don't feel I know one more thing about him that I couldn't get from Google.

Markov is an enigma. Stubbs could have peeled off layers from the onion, perhaps talking about family he has left behind, his rather unique decision to become a Canadian citizen, friendships he's made and the connection to the City of Montreal. The Captaincy question, his place in Montreal history as his career begins to resemble that of the legends of the past could have been discussed. How about the next phase of his life and working in Montreal when his playing days are done.

Just feel like Stubbs had a conversation with Markov and kept all the good parts for himself.

Last edited:

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Retire his jersey!!!!
great guy, good player.. but don't get carried away now!!

Well, after this season, if healthy, he'll be 3rd in Habs history for points and goals among dmen, above Harvey and Savard in many less games.

At some point, you'll have to consider it.

Not related, but checking out all time stats, I saw Robinson ended his career with a +/- of +700 :laugh:

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
I love Markov!

So happy he stay with us in 2007.

Only old school members will remember this:

tumblr_mte3vb2QUx1shr61qo1_500.jpg

Don't make me whip out Photoshop again.

OT - Really nice interview. He doesn't go to these kind of places often. Can't wait to see him this year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Stubbs had that much access to Markov and I don't feel I know one more thing about him that I couldn't get from Google.

Markov is an enigma. Stubbs could have peeled off layers from the onion, perhaps talking about family he has left behind, his rather unique decision to become a Canadian citizen, friendships he's made and the connection to the City of Montreal. The Captaincy question, his place in Montreal history as his career begins to resemble that of the legends of the past could have been discussed. How about the next phase of his life and working in Montreal when his playing days are done.

Just feel like Stubbs had a conversation with Markov and kept all the good parts for himself.

Oh, now your criticize Stubbs? :laugh: He's always been a hack and would prefer to enjoy his dinner than to actually bring anything to the table.

Basically, he's a star-****er but with hockey players.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Markov is the reason why i started watching the Habs game in the early 00s , before that was just too painful to watch, he s always beena pleasure to watch

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Oh, now your criticize Stubbs? :laugh: He's always been a hack and would prefer to enjoy his dinner than to actually bring anything to the table.

Basically, he's a star-****er but with hockey players.

I don't like every one of Stubbs articles but I still think he has a place in the world of writing and has a niche .

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I really hope we re-sign Markov next summer. ''Blablabla he's old and oft injured'' some say, but he's a Hab by blood now and has been for so long. It would make me uneasy to see him in another jersey and yes, I still think the same about Saku.

Markov is such a great pro, he's an excellent example for any young guys coming into the organisation. Beaulieu should take notes and I'm sure Subban did.

ZARTONK said:
Can anyone honestly say they don't like Markov?

Unfortunately some do. It makes me cringe (and gets me really passionate) everytime someone *****es against Markov. Usually these people are either very young or new fans or they have horrible selective&short term memories.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It's quite possible that this was as per Markov's request. I'm sure Markov doesn't want any layers peeled off and exposed for all the world to see.

I mean you want to know about the next phase of his life after his playing days are done but when he was asked about the Olympics and his UFA status he said he's only focused on the present. You think he's going to tell you his retirement plans (If he even has any).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Marky is one of my favourite habs and I find he is pretty underrated around the league especially with the media. I hope he is resigned and finishes his career as a hab. I can't picture him in any other jersey nor would I want to think of that

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I hope he retires as a Hab. I know he's slowing down but he's still great in a lot of aspects.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
His awesomeness single-handedly prevented the Habs from properly tanking/rebuild. Only after he got injured we were able to acquire quality players like Galchy. :shakehead :sarcasm:

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
His awesomeness single-handedly prevented the Habs from properly tanking/rebuild. Only after he got injured we were able to acquire quality players like Galchy. :shakehead :sarcasm:

Didn't we already talked about this? We got quality players like Galchy because of the McDonagh - Gomez trade. :sarcasm:

persh :shakehead

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Great read. Anyone who doesn't understand why we need him in the lineup doesn't appreciate what he's done for the Canadiens. Not only has he been a high-level talent, but he has an extremely professional approach and a low-maintenance attitude. His injuries were unfortunate, but IMO he was solid last year.

He's in the territory of number retirement, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I hope he never wears another sweater in the NHL. CH for life.

Couldn't find the GIF version but one of my favourite little Markov moments:

And just for fun this:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Undeniably one of the best things to happen to the Habs along with Sak and IMO Plek (I know most won't get the love for Plekanec).

I was vehemently defending the contract even after the injury because I knew he would eventually return and be worth it. Despite some trouble at the end (Emelin's loss was possibly the biggest factor in where our season went wrong), he a) probably got PK to realize there's another D ace on the team and hurried him back after, what, 6 games of Markov dominance? and b) Hadn't lost his vision or creativity.

He's a captain in his own right and so important to the team. So hoping he takes a farewell hometown discount for his last contract with us. I know many want him gone (it's infuriating to read the negative stuff about him on this board), but having him retire with us is not just for goodwill -- we need him to cover the next ~3 years, even if his role diminishes. Hopefully Bergevin realizes this.

I remember that last second goal against Boston where he went top corner. Money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad