WJC: Canadians - do you cheer for USA loss? Why? (MOD WARNING POST #13)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I am actively cheering against any American team anywhere, any time they are playing on a world stage. I have seen too much bad behavior, sore loser, arrogant and graceless wins from the majority of American teams that play in any field against other countries to EVER cheer on an American team in anything.

The culture of arrogance and sheer holier-than-thou attitude that tends to accompany the majority of American teams playing internationally is sickening. Are Canadians perfect? Hell no......but we are not a country of sustained bad behavior, sore winners/losers or self-entitled arrogance. What country's hockey team was that again who destroyed their rooms after an Olympic loss???

I will cheer for any team playing against a US one. The WJCs are no different.

Did you see the Russia - USA game? Is Russia on your list now?

#19 was waved away from the USA bench after he nearly hit some players in the face with his glove after the ENG. I assume that age is to blame.

Last edited:

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
I cheer for the USA........as for the reason why Canadians may choose to not root for them is because the USA has turned their program around in the last 20 years or so and have become a power to be reckoned with...........in my youth hating on the Russians{USSR} in my day was due because they were kicking our arses.............USA is now in that circle ..............nothing personel........

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
well I think this thread proves that no population is uniform. you have a few Canadians cheering for the usa even over Canada, the majority somewhere in the middle with a varying degree of support for the usa, and then some that cheer against the usa no matter what. I guess you can call it skewed bell curve. The usa fans are no different. some support Canada, and some cheer against them no matter who they play in hockey

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
My feelings are toward American teams...not a country.....reading comprehension.

It would be the team of any other country as well who displays the same sort of behavior and qualities as American teams have demonstrated over and over and over again. History speaks for itself.

So I guess since all American teams are arrogant and self-entitled the American athlete must be wired different than the average American. Something tells me your hatred goes beyond sports. Please tell me this terrible behavior across all sports that represent the USA.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
well I think this thread proves that no population is uniform. you have a few Canadians cheering for the usa even over Canada, the majority somewhere in the middle with a varying degree of support for the usa, and then some that cheer against the usa no matter what. I guess you can call it skewed bell curve. The usa fans are no different. some support Canada, and some cheer against them no matter who they play in hockey

Strongly agree. I support just about every player in the WJC, regardless of origin. These are a bunch of 17-19 year olds laying it all on the line for their country. Who could hate on any these kids?

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
I cheer for the USA........as for the reason why Canadians may choose to not root for them is because the USA has turned their program around in the last 20 years or so and have become a power to be reckoned with...........in my youth hating on the Russians{USSR} in my day was due because they were kicking our arses.............USA is now in that circle ..............nothing personel........

in what tournaments did they kick our ass. it wasn't summit 72, Canada cup 76, 84 97 91 Canada cups. it hasn't been in any of the Olympic tourneys. Ok, they kicked our ass in 81 Canada cup, I give you that one. Maybe the Olympics when we were sending our amateurs and they were sending their best players

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Amatuer hockey and the Olympics and in 72 we didn`t exactly kick their arse.......look at the thread title..........USSR in the 60s and 70s were the power house..........

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
in what tournaments did they kick our ass. it wasn't summit 72, Canada cup 76, 84 97 91 Canada cups. it hasn't been in any of the Olympic tourneys. Ok, they kicked our ass in 81 Canada cup, I give you that one. Maybe the Olympics when we were sending our amateurs and they were sending their best players

Amatuer hockey and the Olympics and in 72 we didn`t exactly kick their arse.......look at the thread title..........USSR in the 60s, 70s and 80s were the power house.........

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Amatuer hockey and the Olympics and in 72 we didn`t exactly kick their arse.......look at the thread title..........USSR in the 60s, 70s and 80s were the power house.........

I never said we kicked their ass in 72, you said they were kicking our arse. the fact is anytime it was best on best starting with 72, we have won majority of the encounters. Canada won the summit series.

ussr in the 60's 70's and 80's was a powerhouse no doubt, but unless you count tournaments where we sent our best against theres, it doesn't matter. So sending the best Canadian players outside the nhl, so from like player 200 and worse to play against their best was fair and that indicated to you that they were kicking our arse?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
2002 women gold medal match as well the Americans tried to rig the game with the refs giving 13 penalties against the Canadians. They were pretty much shorthanded entire 3rd period and still held out.

Things like that make me cheer against America.

That was horrible officiating, and I do believe there was something going on that we never found out about or that never went public...but I do not blame the US hockey program for that. That could have been two people involved for all we know.

Also, blame the IIHF for having an American official reffing the game, and an unqualified one at that.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Love your country, people and culture. Toronto in particular is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit regularly.

Minus one or two players historically (primarily Della Rovere) I like your teams and root for them once we're out. Don't really get the hate, there is literally NO political or any type of friction between the two countries.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I cheer for the Swedes and I think a lot of other Canadians do as well. There's something identifiable with them for some reason and not just their hockey.

I'd cheer for the US if they were playing an Eastern European team though.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
I never said we kicked their ass in 72, you said they were kicking our arse. the fact is anytime it was best on best starting with 72, we have won majority of the encounters. Canada won the summit series.

ussr in the 60's 70's and 80's was a powerhouse no doubt, but unless you count tournaments where we sent our best against theres, it doesn't matter. So sending the best Canadian players outside the nhl, so from like player 200 and worse to play against their best was fair and that indicated to you that they were kicking our arse?

It is an amateur hockey thread..........just saying..........relax.......it`s the Holidays........enjoy life..........

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
It is an amateur hockey thread..........just saying..........relax.......it`s the Holidays........enjoy life..........

you made an unfactual statement, I just asked you to clarify it. I am relaxed and enjoying life. what does one have to do to the other. if you don't want anyone asking you to clarify your statements, it's probably not a good idea to state one then

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
you made an unfactual statement, I just asked you to clarify it. I am relaxed and enjoying life. what does one have to do to the other. if you don't want anyone asking you to clarify your statements, it's probably not a good idea to state one then

You stated professional victories.......I am stating amateur stats.......it`s an amateur thread..........clarify it?.........use google and see how the USSR man handled Canada in those decades...........your arguement is in the wrong thread............again.......just saying

Wiems35*

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Everybody but USA

There is something I love about watching the USA lose, maybe because they don't do it often. There is a reason everybody hates the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots etc..

Cheating?

KingMatthews

popcorn.gif
Jan 14, 2009
Toronto
I don't cheer against the US unless they're playing Canada. As a frequent traveller to the States, I have a certain sense of kinship amongst Americans and never hold any ill will against them (except Bruins fans). I would much rather see them win compared to a Russian team. I take my sports seriously and while I like chirping rivals I don't actually have a hatred for anyone based on a game.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I feel the same about the American media sometimes. Every the the US wins in hockey, their media always tries to compare it to the Miracle on Ice or refer to it as the next Miracle. I remember back in 2010 NBC was going balls deep into comparing the US Olympic team to the 1980 squad when they beat Canada in the round robin.

Yea I can't remember too well but I know they talked a lot about the 1980 team and even the 1960 team. It seemed more to me like a continuation though where they were talking about how sequenced it would be to win the gold on the 30th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice and then the 50th anniversary of their first gold medal.

I'm a Milwaukee Brewers fan though and when they made the NL Championship series in 2011 all the Milwaukee media could talk about was how much it was like the 1982 team (their only other memorable season) and how the 2011 team was the next 1982 team it got pretty annoying so I can see where you're coming from.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Earlier in this thread I said I never cheered against the US unless it was hockey - then I was reading this thread and a couple of posts mentioned US media.

I'm too lazy to go back and do 'multi quote' (a comment on me!).

...but I would say that sometimes I lazily cheer against the US, not b/c I have any problem with the country (I have a number of much loved relatives from 'merica), but just because I want to hear their tv announcers cry.

so...to be fair...it's not the US i'm really cheering against...it's the angry tears of their sports announcers i'm cheering for...which, i completely acknowledge, makes my immature...but not hateful in a nationalistic way.

Edit: just to clarify (or confirm my assholishness) - i figured it out - the 'make america media cry' part i recall cheering for was Bode Miller in Vancouver. It's not like me to routinely cheer against a country - but i knew there was a reason i'd previously cheered against the US...so i started looking at Van/2010 olympics...and yeah, mea culpa, that was what i was referring ot. Also, I didn't initially feel bad for Jordyn Wieber when she missed the women's gymnastic competition after how hyped she was - although I felt guilty afterwards b/c she was so devastated she missed it.

Last edited:

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
That was horrible officiating, and I do believe there was something going on that we never found out about or that never went public...but I do not blame the US hockey program for that. That could have been two people involved for all we know.

Also, blame the IIHF for having an American official reffing the game, and an unqualified one at that.

Agree with this....that game was just weird...

I wanted US to beat USSR in the WJC game...never been a fan of the USSR and the empty net goal at end of game and the antics after were stupid....I don't have an issue with the USA player whacking him with his stick; I would be pissed...it's an emotional game...I hope Sweden smokes them tomorrow am...

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Because it's fun. Americans do so well at so many things it's fun to see them lose.

The one compliment I'll give to USA hockey is they always play exciting hockey, you never see them trying to win 1-0. International hockey is way better off with the Americans being a high quality team...but I'm still gonna cheer against them. :)

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Love your country, people and culture. Toronto in particular is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit regularly.

Minus one or two players historically (primarily Della Rovere) I like your teams and root for them once we're out. Don't really get the hate, there is literally NO political or any type of friction between the two countries.

I feel the same way regarding the US. I hate losing to the US but that's because I love my Canadian team, not because I hate the US. Same goes to any other hockey nation. Each team has their share of punk players and respectful players. At the end of the day it's a friendly rivalry that can become not so friendly due to the personalities on the ice, not due to friction between the countries.

When something happens like Buchnevich did to the US bench we have to remind ourselves that these are kids and that you can't generalize about a country based on the actions of one 18 or 19 year old hockey player.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
i definitely cheer for USA. everything canada has ever done was inspired by the americans. their brand of hockey rivals canada aswell and IMO it is only a matter of time before they take over the game...they have 355 million people.

i love canada but I hate the arrogance and entitlement we have for the game of hockey and as I get older it just gets more annoying.

i like hard workers and good character. I make my judgement on who to root for based on whoever demonstrates those traits the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad