WJC: Canadians - do you cheer for USA loss? Why? (MOD WARNING POST #13)

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I couldn't care less about how they do. I just want the players drafted by my team to do good. Like Galchenyuk last year

fallsviewafro*

in·fe·ri·or·i·ty

/inˌfi(ə)rēˈôritē,-ˈäritē/
noun
noun: inferiority; plural noun: inferiorities
1. the condition of being lower in status or quality than another or others.

I don't have it. If anything, I may be a bit arrogant about my home.

We have an awesome education system, natural beauty, sophisticated cities, great arts and culture, fine food, terrific beer, fantastic sports and other events, we have relatively little crime (I have never locked a door in my life), low poverty rates, excellent health care...I could go on.

I think Canadians may have at once had this inferiority complex you speak of. I think it has been supplanted with confidence.

But...I love the USA and what it stands for. Great country, some things I would change but I am a Canadian Conservative which still makes me a tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal in the USA. :)

You yourself may feel that way, but the Canadian inferiority complex is alive and real. Yes, we have all of those things, but so does the USA - the difference being that the USA is far more recognized on the world stage for all of the reasons you said Canada was great.

I find Canadians either have a) an irrational dislike of USA or b) a need to define our culture or otherwise celebrate ourselves as "Not American." Listen to any Canadian boast of how great Canada is and they will always do it in comparison to the USA; our healthcare is good because it's not like the American system. Our beer is good because it's not American swill. My city's crime rate is low, unlike Detroit's. The media runs with this stuff and makes it far worse.

Hence my point in creating this thread: I'm betting that a good portion of Canadians actively cheer against the USA to lose, rather than cheering for another team to win.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm Canadian and have never cheered against them because I don't really care how they do until they play Canada. Then I want the US to lose because I obviously want my home country to win. Other than that it doesn't really matter to me how they do. I do like to see them get to the semi's usually though as they usually have one of the better teams and I want to see the best teams play if I'm watching games not involving Canada.

My best friend who played AAA hockey and learned everything he knew about it in Canada, cheered for the US from the 2002 Olympics up until probably 2010 when he decided he liked Canada better again. Maybe the majority of Candians actively cheer against the US, but from my experience people don't really care how they do unless they are playing Canada (because I don't know a lot of irrational people willing to actively use their time and energy cheering against teenagers from another country), and even sometimes then there are occasions where Canadians prefer the US. Just my experience.

LandofLincoln*

USA-Why do you cheer for a Canadian loss?

It goes both ways.

I always cheer for Canada when the U.S. is eliminated. I was almost neutral when Canada was playing for gold in Vancouver. I like Canada and I realize the importance of a host country doing well when the games are in that country.

I was happy Team Canada won gold even though I wanted the U.S. to win. Chicago had more players on Canada and Toews scored the first goal.

Canadian players are 25 times more likely to play in a U.S. city as opposed to an American player playing in Canada. Kessel is a rare exception. Anyway, we watch the stars from another country (Canada, Sweden) on our home teams so as Americans it should be a little easier for us to root for Canada.

I do like Sweden as well because we have a few Swedes on the Blackhawks.

Perhaps Kessel fans in Toronto are a little more friendly because the main star is from the USA and if Canada was eliminated they probably want him to represent well.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
I really didn't appreciate what the Russian player did when celebrating that pinnacle goal against the US. That was bush-league and disrespectful. I didn't blame that US player for trying to knock some sense into him.

For that reason, I hope the finals is between Canada and Russia and we could exact revenge (without repeating that horrible display of disrespect).:yo:

If Canada is eliminated, I usually root for the US of A.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
When Canada gets eliminated from anything sports related, I cheer for the USA to lose.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Falls(from)view...
...I'm betting that a good portion of Canadians actively cheer against the USA to lose, rather than cheering for another team to win.

Yawn....and many more Euros ( including IIHF officialdumb in days of yore ), not to mention many south of the 49'th P VOTE ABC ....AnyBody-But-Canada...

Welcome to Hockey's Elite...But do take a seat near the back of the bus...Damn Yankee :sarcasm::naughty:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I only cheer for the Americans to lose when they're playing Canada. I've always appreciated our neighbor down south, and honestly would rather see any European country, except for Sweden, lose before the States. Also I'm a leaf fan, so it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to see Kessel and JVR bring home gold.

Still above everything else, GO CANADA GO.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i dont think any Canadian hates the USA hockey program or its players, its usually a hatred of it fans. the same way oiler fans hate flames and canuck fans, or how islander fans hate ranger and penguins fans.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I love it when the us loses. Definitely cheer against them. I dont have anything personal against them. The Habs have quite a few american players. Its because they are usually really good and a major threat to canada in almost every tournament.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I also remember the 2002 Woman's Gold Medal Game. God damn, that game made me hate the American hockey program more than anything. I never cry "rigged", but damn it if they didn't try their best.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I also remember the 2002 Woman's Gold Medal Game. God damn, that game made me hate the American hockey program more than anything. I never cry "rigged", but damn it if they didn't try their best.

I do hate Norwegian refs. Oh wait that was women's soccer, nevermind:D

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
As an American I usually just root for which team has the best Bruins prospects in the world jrs, this year I changed it up and rooted for the US primarily because of Jon Gillies and I'm a Providence College grad student and hockey season ticket holder. Although the Bruins did have Matt Grzelcyk on the US as well. In the olympics I cheer for the US simply because it's where I was born and live but honestly my day/olympics isn't ruined if they lose. Most of my favorite hockey players are Canadian anyway and just because some players are wearing the stars and stripes doesn't mean I like the players such as Kesler, Pacioretty, Orpik, Ryan Miller, etc. For some reason the only international event I really care about and emotionally get invested in is the soccer World Cup.

Last edited:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I'll admit I cheer against Canada in the World Juniors especially.

The whole TSN coverage centered around "can Canada stop the four year gold medal drought" kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I feel the same about the American media sometimes. Every the the US wins in hockey, their media always tries to compare it to the Miracle on Ice or refer to it as the next Miracle. I remember back in 2010 NBC was going balls deep into comparing the US Olympic team to the 1980 squad when they beat Canada in the round robin.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I feel the same about the American media sometimes. Every the the US wins in hockey, the American media always tries to compare it to the Miracle on Ice or refer to it as the next Miracle. I remember back in 2010 NBC was going balls deep into comparing the US Olympic team to the 1980 squad when they beat Canada in the round robin.

Basically the media in each country will play to their audience.

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
I am actively cheering against any American team anywhere, any time they are playing on a world stage. I have seen too much bad behavior, sore loser, arrogant and graceless wins from the majority of American teams that play in any field against other countries to EVER cheer on an American team in anything.

The culture of arrogance and sheer holier-than-thou attitude that tends to accompany the majority of American teams playing internationally is sickening. Are Canadians perfect? Hell no......but we are not a country of sustained bad behavior, sore winners/losers or self-entitled arrogance. What country's hockey team was that again who destroyed their rooms after an Olympic loss???

I will cheer for any team playing against a US one. The WJCs are no different.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I cheer against the Americans because I see them as a rival. Just like how, as a Canucks fan, I cheer against Chicago or Boston (unless they're playing Pacific division teams). Plus, there always some snide comment about Canada being the US' hat whenever they beat us.

cujoflutie

I think any canadian that would cheer for Russia against the states over the US on a regular basis has a deeper hate outside of the sport. The only other reason I could fathom would be bragging rights; most canadians probably have more ribbing with americans and vice versa.

Yes, 3 of the last 5 best-on-best tournaments have had canada play the US in the final . But what were the nastiest incidents involving the two? Suter hitting Gretzky, Jack Johnson on Downie, and the seemingly attempt to fix the 2002 womens olympics (and in womens hockey, those two are the only powers so naturally it has to be the biggest rivalry).

Canada/Russia was the first international rivalry of hockey. And both sides were and still are bitter at each other for things which happened at the summit series. There was also the controversial canada cup 87 in which many feel the Canadians rigged and easily the most infamous world junior hockey incident was the 87 bench clearing brawl.

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
My feelings are toward American teams...not a country.....reading comprehension.

It would be the team of any other country as well who displays the same sort of behavior and qualities as American teams have demonstrated over and over and over again. Their history speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad