WJC: Canadians - do you cheer for USA loss? Why? (MOD WARNING POST #13)

fallsviewafro*

I'm Canadian. I used to have a burning hatred for USA hockey which peaked at the OT loss in the gold medal game a few years back, exacerbated by the locker room footage of the USA cheer of "we kicked your ****ing ass" after they won. I was in my glory when we then beat USA next year. SLC 2002 was awesome, and Vancouver 2010 was also the highest moment in my life as a hockey fan and one that I'll never forget. Also, Brett Hull can suck it. I think all Canadian hockey fans can agree on that point...

With that being said, ever since Grapes criticized Canadians for actively cheering against the USA in all possible cases, I've given it some more thought. I've gotten older, and I've mellowed out a bit; now I'm pretty interested in USA hockey. We're heated rivals, yes, but we're also allies and friends on the world stage. I'll obviously take pleasure in Canada beating the USA, but I was downright pissed when they lost against Russia today. They're my third choice after Canada and Finland, and will cheer for them if they're playing anyone else.

So, why the hate? If you're a Canadian and actively cheer against USA when they're not playing against Canada, what for?

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
I can only speak for myself obviously, but I actively cheer for the United States against Russia. Quite frankly, I've developed an appreciation and a tremendous amount of respect for the quality of the American developmental system over the past decade.

USA hockey has done a truly wonderful job at identifying elite talent from a young age, honing their skills, and producing excellent hockey players at all levels. Their youth system is one of the models for any national program to follow when it comes to producing top-end talent.

They're probably Canada's biggest rival at the moment, so while I may not like them, I can certainly respect the Americans. That's the key difference.

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
I'm a Team Canada fan. I'm all for our opponents getting muddled in mediocrity. The more one seems to rise, the more I want them knocked down a notch to affect their confidence.

So in the case of todays game, I cheered for Russia over the USA because the latter are the defending champions and favored to win again. That's it. If Russia were the defending champs and favored to win again, then I'd have felt the reverse.

Also, Canada is (from what I remember) the only team to win this tournament five times in a row (and we did that twice I think). The only country I want even approaching that record again is Canada.

TCP*

I don't cheer for a USA loss, quite the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
After Canada I cheer for team USA. They have players I like and are our closest neighbors so I am a fan. I own multiple team USA jerseys as well. I guess I'm a weirdo.

If both are gone I couldn't care less who wins.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
I still actively cheer against the Americans, I'll cheer for the Russians over the Americans because I would prefer to play and to lose to the Russians than to lose to the Americans in a game that matters.

There are so many reasons for the general anti-american feeling in our society. A lot of people love the states but a lot of people hate them as well. I don't think it's about getting older. My dad is 57 and will actively cheer against Americans in just about everything.

Some say it's jealousy but I don't see it that way, it can be frustrating being a 35 million person country that is so closely bound to a 350 million person country. Although after the recession I think some of that frustration went away due to our relative economy security compared to how bad it was in the states.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
If it's against one of the other big-7 (Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Slovakia), then no. I do enjoy cheering for teams like Switzerland, Germany, Latvia etc against the US (and the others, too), though. :nod:

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
In this instance It's not cheering for the Russians more than it's laughing at the Americans. And it goes both ways. When Canada loses against the Russians too, perhaps not as many feelings will be hurt about this issue.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Keep the discussion to cheering for/against players and teams. Remarks that are derogatory to fans of any team or country will be deleted and subsequent warnings/infractions may follow.

Thank you.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The US wins enough at almost everything (if you look at the total Olympic medal count they are over 1000 up on number 2), and for political reasons (I don't like the their foreign policy of the past and present)

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...besides Canada, I just usually cheer for whichever country has the best Habs prospects I'm interested in the most (an example is this year, I want Sweden to have success, unless it's against Canada, because they have Collberg & De La Rose, two high-end Habs prospects)...;)

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like Russian, Swedish, Czech hockey.

I hate the Americans with a burning passion. Everything about Americans and hockey just rubs me the wrong way.

So I certainly cheer against the Yanks.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I always cheer for a USA loss. Lol. This year is no different!

They are a Rival, and I don't want them to win.

First off, I cheer Canada ALL THE WAY. And then after that I cheer for odd upsets (Like Finland winning, or Norway winning). Because I enjoy little nobodies beating teams they shouldn't!

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
At the World Juniors, I don't cheer against anyone. How can I cheer against a team full of kids getting to play for their country? They mostly aren't even pro players yet, just young hockey players at the start of their careers. In a sense, I cheer for a few other countries other than Canada, and the USA isn't one of them. The other "big 4" teams (Russia, Sweden, USA) are Canada's main rivals, and I'll often cheer for Finland, Slovakia, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic over those teams. But if the USA were to win Gold, I'm as happy for the kids and their fans as I would be for any team other than Canada.

On the Olympic level, I happen to like a lot of American players (Kesler, Kane, Parise, Pavelski, Pacioretty, etc) and so I wouldn't be too upset to see them succeed, as long as it's not at the expense of Canada. Again, I'd cheer for an upset, probably, because I love upsets and it might make Canada's path to Gold a bit easier, but if the Americans win Gold I'll be happy for them.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I absolutely cheer for Canada if the USA isn't in it.

It's far more about kindred hockey spirit for me than it is political issues.

Ari Gold

Dec 13, 2013
Hollywood
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Everybody but USA

There is something I love about watching the USA lose, maybe because they don't do it often. There is a reason everybody hates the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots etc..

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Unless they're playing Canada, I don't cheer for the US to lose really (unless I have some specific reason for wanting the other team to win).

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't cheer against the US, I just genuinely don't think their teams are any good. Whenever they do well, it's usually a Cinderella type story.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not really. I like college hockey so there's usually several players on the team I'm a fan of. I used to not like the way they conducted themselves, but I haven't had a problem with them for a few years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad