WJC: Canadians - do you cheer for USA loss? Why? (MOD WARNING POST #13)

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Working in Canada, I've noticed this too, this great pride in trying to laugh at American's geography knowledge. This idiot at work was going off on me about how we're so ignorant towards Canada.

So I was like "What's the capital city of New York?" "New York", and kept going "What's the capital city of Washington?" "Washington DC", what's the capital of California, which is more northern New York or Boston, etc. After about 10 questions she was all red faced with anger, got all pissed off and slammed the door.

Well done.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm going to be quite honest here..I cheer against the U.S because when it comes to hockey it's one thing that separates Canadians to Americans. It is our game and to be living in a country where U.S corporations/companies/media have a huge hold on our lives everyday, hockey is a pure Canadian treasure that will never be taken away. So when I see the U.S improving in our game I get pissed because to me it's just another thing they are getting better at and trying to take over. I always cheer against the U.S and will continue to cheer against the U.S no matter what.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Love your country, people and culture. Toronto in particular is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit regularly.

Minus one or two players historically (primarily Della Rovere) I like your teams and root for them once we're out. Don't really get the hate, there is literally NO political or any type of friction between the two countries.

It's not usually about politics, to a few it is but mostly it's about the game, and just the natural rivalry we have with you guys. Personally I don't "hate" any country, hate is a very strong word. I just cheer against the U.S for a variety of reasons. (i.e, your program is getting better so as a Canadian I rather not have another powerhouse gunning for us) It's nothing personal, just like with Russia in the mid to late 90's and even the past 5 or 6 years, we've played them numerous times in Semi's or Gold Medal game. I can't stand them, it's all about the rivalry nothing personal.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I cheer for the US. I hope they're doing good in Sochi and I can see them finishing with a medal for sure.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Agree with this....that game was just weird...

I wanted US to beat USSR in the WJC game...never been a fan of the USSR and the empty net goal at end of game and the antics after were stupid....I don't have an issue with the USA player whacking him with his stick; I would be pissed...it's an emotional game...I hope Sweden smokes them tomorrow am...

Was this tournament you were watching in 1989 or are you making a satire about the geographic knowledge quotient mentioned earlier in the thread?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Earlier in this thread I said I never cheered against the US unless it was hockey - then I was reading this thread and a couple of posts mentioned US media.

I'm too lazy to go back and do 'multi quote' (a comment on me!).

...but I would say that sometimes I lazily cheer against the US, not b/c I have any problem with the country (I have a number of much loved relatives from 'merica), but just because I want to hear their tv announcers cry.

so...to be fair...it's not the US i'm really cheering against...it's the angry tears of their sports announcers i'm cheering for...which, i completely acknowledge, makes my immature...but not hateful in a nationalistic way.

Edit: just to clarify (or confirm my assholishness) - i figured it out - the 'make america media cry' part i recall cheering for was Bode Miller in Vancouver. It's not like me to routinely cheer against a country - but i knew there was a reason i'd previously cheered against the US...so i started looking at Van/2010 olympics...and yeah, mea culpa, that was what i was referring ot. Also, I didn't initially feel bad for Jordyn Wieber when she missed the women's gymnastic competition after how hyped she was - although I felt guilty afterwards b/c she was so devastated she missed it.

That wouldn't really apply to the U20s then, since only a handful of journalists, many of them Canadian anyway, actually follow it in the US.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I feel the same about the American media sometimes. Every the the US wins in hockey, their media always tries to compare it to the Miracle on Ice or refer to it as the next Miracle. I remember back in 2010 NBC was going balls deep into comparing the US Olympic team to the 1980 squad when they beat Canada in the round robin.

Because:

A: the majority of US media doesn't follow hockey, so they do not have an even rudimentary understanding of it's history and historical significance of individual events.

B: they have to put something out when the Olympics role around, some sort of article and like many people, are lazy and take the easiest way out.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
If it's the WJC we're talking about, unless you're a kid yourself, cheering for any particular group of kids to lose just because they're from a certain country is the sign of a real loser in life. Toast the winners for their achievement, but adults deriving pleasure in the losing kids losing? Lame.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
American here to answer the converse. I don't cheer for Canada to lose. They're my least favorite team to lose to and my favorite team to beat, but when they're playing against other countries I'm generally fairly neutral. I tend to like to see smaller countries win overall, so if Canada is playing someone else there's a good chance I'm rooting for their opponents, but I'm rooting for their opponents, not against Canada. If that makes any sense.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If it's the WJC we're talking about, unless you're a kid yourself, cheering for any particular group of kids to lose just because they're from a certain country is the sign of a real loser in life. Toast the winners for their achievement, but adults deriving pleasure in the losing kids losing? Lame.
I'll cheer against another country, province, city, or part of the city. Doesn't make me a loser. The only losers are the kids that get a medal just for participating and those that give them out. So tired of this marshmallow crap we feed kids. Winners should be congratulated, and the losers should be told to work harder next time.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
USA-Why do you cheer for a Canadian loss?

It goes both ways.

There's a small but very vocal group of Canadian fans who act like Gold is their birth right so when Canada loses it's fun to see their reaction, That being said most Canadian fans are great.

I also don't see Canadians cheering for the US losing as a bad thing but a compliment. Everybody cheers for the Yankees to lose, nobody cheers against the Royals.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
There's a small but very vocal group of Canadian fans who act like Gold is their birth right so when Canada loses it's fun to see their reaction, That being said most Canadian fans are great.

I also don't see Canadians cheering for the US losing as a bad thing but a compliment. Everybody cheers for the Yankees to lose, nobody cheers against the Royals.
It is a sign of respect when opposing fans cheers against you. No one is cheering against the Germans because they aren't a threat. Just like no one really cheers against the Oilers anymore:laugh:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Toronto in particular is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit regularly.

That doesn't mean much to most Canadians (outside of the GTA, obviously), who won't hesitate to label Toronto as the largest and least "Canadian" city you could hope to visit. I recommend the true Canadian favourites of Montreal and Vancouver, unless it's more important to be able to forget that you've gone north of the 49th.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
As a Canadian, I cheer for a US loss just like as a Sens fan, I cheer for a Leafs loss. I have no ill will towards the US except for a healthy rivalry.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I'll cheer against another country, province, city, or part of the city. Doesn't make me a loser. The only losers are the kids that get a medal just for participating and those that give them out. So tired of this marshmallow crap we feed kids. Winners should be congratulated, and the losers should be told to work harder next time.

You obviously misunderstand the point of the original post, and mine. Nobody is talking about awarding participation medals or there shouldn't be winners or losers. The post relates to hoping (cheering for) a certain team to lose. Cheering for one team is an entirely different proposition than if your motivation is seeing someone else lose no matter who the opponent is.

Or maybe you do get that distinction. Maybe you are an adult who derives pleasure in seeing certain teams made up of kids lose. Kids doing this, sure that's their world just like many adults enjoy seeing certain NHL teams lose. But adults doing it with kids teams? Lame and a sign of arrested development.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I actually like Americans as long as they are not all cocky. I mean some American (let's not make a generalization here) are fast enough to claim they are the best team in the world after a win (Not only against Canada) and they show it to us all around the forum which makes me want to kill some of them :sarcasm:

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
They fall in the same boat as Russia for me, I like their teams and style of play, but I can't cheer for them. I might like the American rosters more, but I'll still cheer for the Swedes, Fins, Swiss, Czechs, and Slovaks over them.

It's just a rivalry thing, I still respect them highly.

Mar 12, 2009
Now that Canada is losing, it appears that almost every country has at least a small number of fans that actively cheer against Canada and get great joy in their losing :laugh: . I just find it funny, I just don't see the point in investing emotional energy in cheering for and hoping for the demise of another team. I just like watching good hockey.

If each fanbase was isolated from eachother, I feel there would be less hate for countries teams. Fans make other fans hate their team lol.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
As an American, I always cheered for Canada (except when playing USA), because I always felt like Canada was our "brother to the north".

But a few years ago I joined this website, and came to realize that most Canadians seem to hate the USA and Americans. They also have such a snobby "our hockey is so much better than your pathetic hockey", "NHL should only be in Canada" attitude, that it makes me sick.

Needless to say, I now no longer cheer for Canada.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
As an American, I always cheered for Canada (except when playing USA), because I always felt like Canada was our "brother to the north".

But a few years ago I joined this website, and came to realize that most Canadians seem to hate the USA and Americans. They also have such a snobby "our hockey is so much better than your pathetic hockey", "NHL should only be in Canada" attitude, that it makes me sick.

Needless to say, I now no longer cheer for Canada.

Hate the USA/Americans, or Team USA? Big difference. Not too mention it goes both ways here on HF.

Because:

A: the majority of US media doesn't follow hockey, so they do not have an even rudimentary understanding of it's history and historical significance of individual events.

B: they have to put something out when the Olympics role around, some sort of article and like many people, are lazy and take the easiest way out.

True enough, but part of me thinks that it's counter productive to constantly compare your national team, which commonly has a competitive roster, to an underdog.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad