WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think the americans will be able create a ton of offense solely from their speed, they are going to be an extremely fast team. I would also take Campbell over any of our goaltenders in camp.

But I agree, Our Dcore is full of studs.

Yup...they out skated Canada last year which is reason enough to have a fast skating offensive d-man like Murphy to balance out slow guys like Ellis who couldn't keep up.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
The 2 players with the most chemistry in the CHL would be invisible? Give your head a shake. The problem with this team is we are going to be relying on 2 lines to get us a goal when we really need it. Seems like the Canada braintrust is making their decisions based on the red vs white gmaes, rather than what these guys have done with their respective teams this season. Foligno has 1 good game and he is solid gold? What a joke. We'd be much better off having players who play together and have chemistry...like Wilson/Hishon or Toffoli/Prince. Instead we are taking a bunch of muckers who have rarely if ever played together and just PRAY they gel. I won't be shocked if Schenn, Schwartz, and Connolly are the next ones cut. It's too bad Shawn Cronin still isn't eligible....he'd be a perfect fit with this squad.

we're not 'praying they gel'. There is a reason for summer camp, a reason for winter camp, a reason for the massive amounts of coaches and scouts that convene over this decision. We're making educated decisions on what players will work with each other and the coaches game plan. That's what it's been for years, and it hasnt seemed to hurt us.

Would you rather we just sent the best team in the CHL to represent us?

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
we're not 'praying they gel'. There is a reason for summer camp, a reason for winter camp, a reason for the massive amounts of coaches and scouts that convene over this decision. We're making educated decisions on what players will work with each other and the coaches game plan. That's what it's been for years, and it hasnt seemed to hurt us.

Would you rather we just sent the best team in the CHL to represent us?

Yes, at this point I think we would be better off sending the best CHL team.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Yes, at this point I think we would be better off sending the best CHL team.

You're so sure this team isn't gonna medal yet the roster hasn't even been close to finalized. Maybe you should wait a bit until you get overly critical? Wilson and Hishon aren't nearly as substantial players as you're making them out to be.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The 2 players with the most chemistry in the CHL would be invisible? Give your head a shake. The problem with this team is we are going to be relying on 2 lines to get us a goal when we really need it. Seems like the Canada braintrust is making their decisions based on the red vs white gmaes, rather than what these guys have done with their respective teams this season. Foligno has 1 good game and he is solid gold? What a joke. We'd be much better off having players who play together and have chemistry...like Wilson/Hishon or Toffoli/Prince. Instead we are taking a bunch of muckers who have rarely if ever played together and just PRAY they gel. I won't be shocked if Schenn, Schwartz, and Connolly are the next ones cut. It's too bad Shawn Cronin still isn't eligible....he'd be a perfect fit with this squad.

Bolded for ignorance. People that actually watched the game said they did not show up...

They took chemistry last year and for some reason it was broken up before the tournament even started. Hockey Canada took the best line in the NHL for the Olympics and they were largely ineffective offensively in a best on best international tournament. They took Seabrook because of his chemistry with Keith, but they did not last as a pair either.

Give my head a shake? What a bunch of crap dude.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
:laugh: Rundblad is no slouch either though! I missed us taking Schwartz during the draft. I was turning the t.v. on when they announced we had traded Rundblad to Ottawa for your pick, and then we went up and picked Tarasenko. :amazed: I think I about crapped myself! :laugh:

We got a good return it seems...St Louis was very crafty, for all we know they had Tarasenko rated higher than Schwartz but we told them we'd only flip them 16 if the guy we wanted was off the board, prompting St Louis to take Schwartz because they knew that was probably our guy, because Tarasenko certainly was not.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004

Prince is American and was never invited to their camp.

I think this guy just has a thing for the OHL and is mad that the stars are going to be from the dub and Q this year while the bottom lines are where O "muckers" are going to fill roles.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

It's a completely different game putting up numbers against a random assortment of 16-20 year olds than it is producing against the best players of your age group in the world. It's a difficult transition that many players cannot make effectively, especially if they don't have the all-around game to go with it. Don't get me wrong, I like Hishon and think he should have gotten at least a little longer. However if the Hockey Canada brass are sending them home first I have no issue. For every player that can translate his elite game to the next level there'll be a Peter Sarno who can't.

Cal Vandelay

Apr 1, 2008
You would think that Wilson/Hishon were Crosby/Stamkos the way this guy is going on about them. Don't get me wrong both Hishon and Wilson are great players and both with play in the NHL someday but there not worth all the going on out of BigAl

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yup...they out skated Canada last year which is reason enough to have a fast skating offensive d-man like Murphy to balance out slow guys like Ellis who couldn't keep up.

They outskated us last year by one goal because our best all-around defensemen (Hamonic) was out, Cowen was rehabbing and looked awful, and smallish 18 year olds like Ellis and Dehaan were thrust into defensive roles.

People are giving the American's speed way too much credit. They will be good, but this team isn't in the rough shape defensively that they were in last year, at least they don't appear to be on paper.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Anyone one think that Visentin and Roy are slightly favoured due to starting the game or just random luck? Or do you think they are favouring the 2 goalies that plan to play for Canada tonight? That would be Visentin and Anderson IIRC...I'm hoping it's not the latter of the 2 options

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Anyone one think that Visentin and Roy are slightly favoured due to starting the game or just random luck? Or do you think they are favouring the 2 goalies that plan to play for Canada tonight? That would be Visentin and Anderson IIRC...I'm hoping it's not the latter of the 2 options

I think Cameron is determined to give Visentin every possible chance, but I think he will eventually make the smart move and go with Roy and Pickard.

ortonsoriginal*

At the scrimmage cis struck first but the goal was waived off fo unknown reasons. FYI it was scored on visentin.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
The team I'd like to see:

Kassian - Schenn - Wilson
Leblanc - Johansen - Schwarz
Connolly - Couturier - Ashton
Foligno - Sheahan - Hamilton
Howden

Ellis - de Haan
Gudbranson - Cowan
Pysyk - Olsen
Murphy

Roy
Pickard

Obviously, with 2-3 exceptions, I advocate a big, strong team, despite losing to a smaller, speedier US team last year.

So far, the team I'd like to see is not too far off the one we're left with.

Kinda surprised that Wilson got cut, though. And with Cizikas getting the night off, maybe he ends up playing the wing with Schenn and Kassian. Or centre with Foligno and Hamilton.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Chris Neil fan? Now I see why you are so gaga over this team.

This will be the worst team we sent in years...maybe ever. We will not medal. I'm done on this. People like Minister of Offence who think they know everything about hockey can continue with it. Your so ignorant that you think we will perform well just because we our Canada. I guess you just follow what ever Bob Mackenzie says and your ok with that. Try developing your own opinions instead of just relying on what others tell you. I base my opinions on what I've seen from these players, not from what some broadcaster says about them.

Now I'll leave it alone so you can can give some more of your second hand opinions.

The problem is even if you've seen every player that makes Team Canada, which I doubt anyone has, how can you evaluate them relative to every other team that there are 3 teams clearly better than us 12 days before the tournament starts and before they even play a game? have you seen the Swedish or Russian team play? At least let them play a game before you say they have zeo chance to medal

ortonsoriginal*

Riley sheahan beats Roy with help from couturier. 1-0 canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad