Hamilton - Howden - Foligno
Ashton

Cowen - Olsen
DeHaan - Gundbranson
Ellis - Despres
Barrie

Roy
Vinsentin

I think its a huge mistake not taking a real 13th forward. Same mistake that was made last year that killed them.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
the more I look at this lineup, the more I think special teams will be very, very important.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
Not sure why people were expecting that 13th forward to be offensive. All of those guys (Gallagher, Vey and Hishon) were in the first group of cuts. With some of the cuts made though, it makes you wonder if they should have sent an invite to Toffoli.

Also :laugh: at Gudbranson making it if he really was playing as poorly as it sounded. Seems like they wanted to go with the extra size instead of more speed, we'll see how that plays out.

ampersand5

Oct 25, 2010
I really have no idea what type of hockey the team will play.
no trap im guessing?

Cameron has seen toffoli enough to know whether he would want him or not. I think it was a mistake though to not plan enough to ensure that the 13th forward would be someone who can add offense.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
no trap im guessing?

Cameron has seen toffoli enough to know whether he would want him or not. I think it was a mistake though to not plan enough to ensure that the 13th forward would be someone who can add offense.

This is team Canada, everyone on this team can score.

Especially if the 13th forward is someone like Ashton or Howden like some have speculated.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
no trap im guessing?

It's Cameron's team - they'll be trapping the everloving **** out of teams. Every game.

ampersand5

Oct 25, 2010
The 13th forward is the reason they lost in overtime in the gold medal game?

actually, yes.

Especially if the 13th forward is someone like Ashton or Howden like some have speculated.

everyone can score, but when the team needs goals, it will become problematic.

It's Cameron's team - they'll be trapping the everloving **** out of teams. Every game.

The trap is hard to teach and implement. I don't think Cameron will apply the same philosophy and strategy he uses with the majors, but some sort of variation of the trap.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009

Well there's producing offense and there's being an offensive player. Kassian can get points but no one is expecting him to start the rush down the ice and deliver a beautiful saucer pass across the ice to Brett Connolly for a goal. People want another dynamic offensive player so the team doesn't have to rely on the PP for a lot of the goals against the better teams (or at least in theory).

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
everyone can score, but when the team needs goals, it will become problematic.

The trap is hard to teach and implement. I don't think Cameron will apply the same philosophy and strategy he uses with the majors, but some sort of variation of the trap.

True, but this team doesn't have much of an offensive presence. They're going to play a total defensive game (which is Cameron's style) and hope for chances to score. If they need a goal in a pinch, there is no true first line player you can count on to get it.

I hope I'm wrong about this team, but I don't see a gold medal in Canada's future.

IMCanadian

Mar 18, 2010
Hopefully we see Foligno and Kassian on a line at some point. That's a forecheck that will give other teams nightmares.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well there's producing offense and there's being an offensive player. Kassian can get points but no one is expecting him to start the rush down the ice and deliver a beautiful saucer pass across the ice to Brett Connolly for a goal. People want another dynamic offensive player so the team doesn't have to rely on the PP for a lot of the goals against the better teams (or at least in theory).

But if this team plays a hard nosed physical brand of hockey and grinds out wins then a purely offensive player like Hishon or Gallagher would be wasted in that role too.

I understand why people are upset, heck I would have liked to see more of RNH myself, but this coaching staff obviously knows the type of system they are going to implement and could be the reason they went for a huge team.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
But if this team plays a hard nosed physical brand of hockey and grinds out wins then a purely offensive player like Hishon or Gallagher would be wasted in that role too.

I understand why people are upset, heck I would have liked to see more of RNH myself, but this coaching staff obviously knows the type of system they are going to implement and could be the reason they went for a huge team.

Oh they definitely know what they want but this the World Juniors and if there isn't an answer for every type of play from an opponent, people are going to get nervous (so essentially every year outside of 2005 this happens). I think the real problem though is that Canada left off speed last year and the Americans got the better of them. People actually have an example to use so you're never going to hear the end of it unless Canada wins the Gold. I'm sure there will be more then a few posts proclaiming the team is slower than molasses.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
gonna have fun with his brother. 4th rounder marcus playing worse than his brother was at the same age, but he gets to go to the WJC and nicky got screwed by hockey USA.

guess nick chose the wrong country.

Have you seen either of them play in the OHL? Marcus is a dominant power forward who is great at all aspects of the game. Nick Foligno was a one-dimentional selfish player who took stupid penalties. Comparing them both at the same age, I don't think its a stretch to say Marcus projects to be the better NHLer.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
sweet eakin could play on the second line, what will the powerplays and penalty kill units look like?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Oh they definitely know what they want but this the World Juniors and if there isn't an answer for every type of play from an opponent, people are going to get nervous (so essentially every year outside of 2005 this happens). I think the real problem though is that Canada left off speed last year and the Americans got the better of them. People actually have an example to use so you're never going to hear the end of it unless Canada wins the Gold.

Do you think they left off speed this year? I'm not 100% familiar with all these guys but I'd say they are fine in that regard (although still far behind the Americans in that regard which is scary).

I'd say the only thing they could added would be more creativity up front, but that obviously would have cut into the size issue.

If anything I bet this team is going to try and win through intimidation more than anything (which isn't a bad strategy, imo).

Pyke*

The defense on this team is pretty good - which is a plus. The forward lineup is not as good as it could be but, we have a lot of our stars in the NHL. Disappointed to see the Kitchener Rangers Ryan cut from the team... He's better than Barrie.

Would also loved to have seen Hishon (despite being a day one cut) or Sheahan in the 13th forward role.... but oh well.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Has Cowen improved his speed at all over the last year? Looks like he made the team again so I'd assume he has.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Has Cowen improved his speed at all over the last year? Looks like he made the team again so I'd assume he has.

Much, much better by all accounts. He actually brings a decent 2 way game to the table although with Ellis, De Haan, Barrie all on the team his focus will be on the defensive side.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
Do you think they left off speed this year? I'm not 100% familiar with all these guys but I'd say they are fine in that regard (although still far behind the Americans in that regard which is scary).

I'd say the only thing they could added would be more creativity up front, but that obviously would have cut into the size issue.

If anything I bet this team is going to try and win through intimidation more than anything (which isn't a bad strategy, imo).

Things is people see the size and immediately bells start ringing off in their heads. The U.S.A. is really the only team, once again, where speed could be an issue. I'm sure after the Russia game people will calm down once they see Canada play (or go into a frenzied panic if they lose). I think the team looks better overall this year compared to last. Hopefully someone like Schenn or Couturier steps up and provides the offense against the better teams like Eberle did last year. Some solid goaltending would be nice too.

If Canada doesn't bring home Gold though, the word of choice will be speed.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Oh they definitely know what they want but this the World Juniors and if there isn't an answer for every type of play from an opponent, people are going to get nervous (so essentially every year outside of 2005 this happens). I think the real problem though is that Canada left off speed last year and the Americans got the better of them. People actually have an example to use so you're never going to hear the end of it unless Canada wins the Gold. I'm sure there will be more then a few posts proclaiming the team is slower than molasses.

That Team Canada got 'caught slow' last year is unarguable. However, the selection of players like Hamilton, Howden, etc. has raised the median level of this team's overall speed. While I believe the Canadian forwards will be able to skate and compete with any of the other teams, I am not so confident that the same can be said of the team's defence. Perhaps playing on the smaller ice surface will prevent them from being exposed. Then again, perhaps not.

That is all.

IMCanadian

Mar 18, 2010
Have you seen either of them play in the OHL? Marcus is a dominant power forward who is great at all aspects of the game. Nick Foligno was a one-dimentional selfish player who took stupid penalties. Comparing them both at the same age, I don't think its a stretch to say Marcus projects to be the better NHLer.

I second this one. A year ago it appeared as though Nick had more upside then Marcus but this year I would say the roles are reversed. Totally different players but Marcus' future as a power forward is bright. He always had the physical side to his game but this year he has really matured and come into his own. I see this tournament as a coming out party of sorts for Marcus. It's impressive that 3 months ago he wasn't on anyone's radar and through hardwork he has earned his spot on this team.

Pyke*

That Team Canada got 'caught slow' last year is unarguable. However, the selection of players like Hamilton, Howden, etc. has raised the median level of this team's overall speed. While I believe the Canadian forwards will be able to skate and compete with any of the other teams, I am not so confident that the same can be said of the team's defence. Perhaps playing on the smaller ice surface will prevent them from being exposed. Then again, perhaps not.

That is all.

?

Defense is a strength of this year's edition in my opinion. Cowen - Olsen, Ellis - De Haan are very good. Gudbranson - Depres could be a good pairing. I don't know a lot about Barrie, but I expect he'll be in a 7th (or bottom pair) role anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad