Canadian Team with Best Top 5 Prospects

Which Canadian team has the best top 5 prospects?

• Total voters

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Unbiased fan here to say my opinion:

I think Cole caufield is the top forward prospect by a decent margin. Jake sanderson has a bit of a lead on the defense. Ottawa has the best prospect pool

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He does and he did though, come on.

Great response lol. Holloway had 1.55 points per game this season, Caufield had 1.75. Holloway is the better defensive player, can play centre, is much bigger, has a much stronger physical game, and is a year younger (2020 draft vs 2019). And Broberg and Bouchard are better prospects than both.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If we’re JUST talking about the top 5;

#1: Ottawa has the best group of talent for sure, although i’d have Greig as #5 over Gus however. They have guys who’d be top 3 on other teams not in their top 5.

#2: Toronto comes in second, Have the top end guys to rival all other teams save Ottawa then some good guys at #4/5.

#3: Edmonton is third, they have a real good top-3 but it falls off considerably after that, I would have Savoie #4.

#4: Montreal at fourth, Caufield is a difference maker, Guhle is good but it falls off after that.

#5: Winnipeg Fifth, Heinola and Perfetti are studs but they have not much after that.

#6: Calgary Sixth, Solid players overall but lack that high end guy that the other 5 canadian teams have.

#7: Vancouver Seventh, Podkokzin is the only guy of note. DiPietro should have been #4.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Great response lol. Holloway had 1.55 points per game this season, Caufield had 1.75. Holloway is the better defensive player, can play centre, is much bigger, has a much stronger physical game, and is a year younger (2020 draft vs 2019). And Broberg and Bouchard are better prospects than both.
Both were in their 19 yo season

1.55 vs 1.75 with the amounts of games played is massive, theres also the GPG, which is Caufields claim to fame.

And no, Broberg and Bouchard arent, thanks.

Unless you think Bouchard and Broberg should both be top 10 prospects in the world :O

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sens
Oilers
Leafs
Jets
Flames
Habs
Canucks

The Canucks have had a bunch of really good prospects the last 2-3 years, but for me they’re easily last of the Canadian teams right now.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
i dont think Ottawa and Edmonton are all that close
Funny you said that... Toronto in my opinion should be last with that prospect list.

Bouchard and Holloway easily make Edmonton number 2 and right there with Ottawa.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Lol explain how Edmonton isn't right up there with Ottawa.
Homer's man... you rated Toronto above Edmonton.... check out that list. Not even close bro.
yeah i did. fwiw i am counting Liljegren as our #4.

i think the big 3's of Robertson/Sandin/Amirov and Holloway/Bouchard/Broberg rival eachother very well. but Toronto's 4/5 are much better than Edmontons.

now explain how Vancouver and Calgary's groups are better than Toronto's

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Name any of those prospects at Bouchard or Holloway level..
i did in my last post but you edited it out of your reply?

for me there is a difference between who is a better prospect, and who i think will be a better NHL player. I think Robertson is a better "prospect" but think Holloway will be the better/more valuable NHLer.

Sandin/Bouchard are very close and i wanna throw Broberg in there too but havent seen him at the pro level, although i believe he will be.

i think Bouchard is touted slighty higher right now, at least offensively. we could argue and pick apart both of them but i dont see a point, they are very similar level prospects.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
yeah i did. fwiw i am counting Liljegren as our #4.

i think the big 3's of Robertson/Sandin/Amirov and Holloway/Bouchard/Broberg rival eachother very well. but Toronto's 4/5 are much better than Edmontons.

now explain how Vancouver and Calgary's groups are better than Toronto's
Gtfo here

Samorukov was dominant as a defensesive dman In the KHL this past year as basically a 20 year old. Your kidding me right lol,

Reactions: ujju2

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For sure, it was just a stupid statement, weve seen small players dominate the league for so long now.

5’6-5’7 Caufield small? I guess DeBrincat has been pretty solid but he plays with Kane and the Habs don’t have a playmaker like Kane.

Caufield is a big boom or bust type player. I think he’ll be a good NHL player as I’ve watched him a lot at Wisconsin this year. He’s a gifted offensive player but there’s still risk for guys his size.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
5’6-5’7 Caufield small? I guess DeBrincat has been pretty solid but he plays with Kane and the Habs don’t have a playmaker like Kane.

Caufield is a big boom or bust type player. I think he’ll be a good NHL player as I’ve watched him a lot at Wisconsin this year. He’s a gifted offensive player but there’s still risk for guys his size.

Nitpicking inches doesnt change anything. Once youre undersized, youre undersized. Height doesnt translate much to hockey anyway, theres reach and stride, but those can be worked around. Weight is more important and Caufield is stocky enough, I mean hes the same weight as Marner whos 6'.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Gtfo here

Samorukov was dominant as a defensesive dman In the KHL this past year as basically a 20 year old. Your kidding me right lol,
and Liljegren is another great prospect i didnt mention yet and Topi Niemela (listed here at 5) won WJC best defenceman this year. are you trying to actively ignore Toronto's prospects and pump Edmontons' tires, or are you doing it ignorantly?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

yeah thats what i think as well. he is either going to be very good or not in the league at all. he doesnt have a bottom 6 skillset so he is going to have to be a scorer, and if he isnt doing that he wont be very valuable.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
yeah thats what i think as well. he is either going to be very good or not in the league at all. he doesnt have a bottom 6 skillset so he is going to have to be a scorer, and if he isnt doing that he wont be very valuable.

Yeah he’s not a guy you can put in the bottom 6 or kill penalties, etc.

He’s either playing top 6 with heavy PP time or not much point playing.

Big boom or bust type prospect. I think he’ll be successful I’ve watched him play a fair enough between international play the U-18, U-20s, and Wisconsin and I think he has a diverse enough offensive skillset to succeed with what Montreal needs. But there’s still risk there with a guy his size who isn’t great defensively either.

Reactions: CatchyTune

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
MTL for the same reason Edmonton has the best core in the league, they have the better player by far.

Caufield blows every single canadian prospect out of the water save for Heinola and Robertson. WPG doesn't have any depth after Perfetti and Toronto has Sandin = Harris/Guhle as fringe top 4 Ds.
He definitely doesn't blow Holloway out of the water, who a lot of Wisconsin fans were saying was equally if not more important than Caufield. He's also a year younger, bigger, and plays the more important position.

I'd take Caufield over Holloway, but its not by much. So this "blows every single Canadian prospect out of the water" is hyperbole at best.

Reactions: soothsayer

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I came in here expecting to vote for Ottawa but it's actually Edmonton who has the best 3 by a margin imo. To be fair, I am not that familiar with Pinto/Gustavasson to know how valuable they are in comparison to the Oilers' #4-5 guys but Samurkov/Skinner aren't bad pieces either.

Montreal probably has the best prospect but after Caufield they're weaker. I don't think Guhle would be 2nd on the depth chart for Edmonton or Ottawa. Toronto's top 3 is pretty nice too, unsure why Liljegren didn't slot into their 4/5 spot.
Winnipeg has 2 relatively big names. Calgary doesn't have any super high ceiling prospects which hurts them.
Vancouver is the weakest based on my somewhat unknowledgeable opinion.

Order:
Edmonton/Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto
Winnipeg
Calgary
Vancouver

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He definitely doesn't blow Holloway out of the water, who a lot of Wisconsin fans were saying was equally if not more important than Caufield. He's also a year younger, bigger, and plays the more important position.

I'd take Caufield over Holloway, but its not by much. So this "blows every single Canadian prospect out of the water" is hyperbole at best.

Caufield is definitely in another tier than Holloway. He has elite offensive skills and could be an elite player in the nhl.
Holloway has a higher floor and is a better all-around player but he doesnt have elite offense. At best, he's going to end up a good top 6 foward like Kreider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad