Canadian Soccer Part II

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Arfield seemed like a player with some talent I agree. The thing is Latin teams in the region even the weaker ones almost every player is comfortable with the ball that's something that our team at the moment lacks in almost every player. So anyone want to guess tonight's lineup or what they would like to see?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
^Most Teams in Concacaf rely on 2-3 Quality Players and the rest of the Team is literally whoever is in the Best(or any) Pro environment.

Larin is the Key to Our CMNT Success moving forward. All we need to do is get better, at giving him the ball somewhere other than the halfway line.

The Implementation of Fully Professional Second teams for the 3 MLS clubs is Massive. Canada Finally is Developing a pathway(not the best pathway, but its something) for our talented Youngsters who have proven they can compete and win against their peers from abroad. Its no Longer MLS or bust at 18
Ligue 1 Ontario helps too, a few alums are going pro or NCAA.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Arfield seemed like a player with some talent I agree. The thing is Latin teams in the region even the weaker ones almost every player is comfortable with the ball that's something that our team at the moment lacks in almost every player. So anyone want to guess tonight's lineup or what they would like to see?

Go to any minor local soccer game and see the tactics that managers/coaches will employ...it's a joke. We overly emphasize good sportsmanship and encourage youth to evenly distribute the ball so everyone gets a chance to play.

That's fine and dandy, but it stifles creativity. I was in Italy for a year when I was a kid and enrolled on a soccer team when I was 9. I was scolded numerous times for breaking formation, and would always ***** about our central midfielder hogging the ball. He was phenomenal...and it came as no surprise when I found out he has been playing for a team in Serie A (Pescara).

Our players are showing more promise but they just lack the skill and swagger.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I know a lot about minor league soccer here or shall we say youth soccer that's why I have next to no hope for any improvement of the national team for many years still...People that think that TFC Impact Whitecaps academies will work magic are kidding themselves, the problem starts before this and is immense.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I know a lot about minor league soccer here or shall we say youth soccer that's why I have next to no hope for any improvement of the national team for many years still...People that think that TFC Impact Whitecaps academies will work magic are kidding themselves, the problem starts before this and is immense.

This x1000000000000000

Yes, these academies might make a couple NT team players but if we want to be a consistent world cup qualifying team. Which should be the goal at this stage of Canadian soccer. We will need a lot more work in our youth system.

Larin in a year or 2 should try to get Kaka to pull a few strings and play in a bigger league in Europe. Even if it's 2nd division in England, Spain or Italy, it will be better quality than MLS. He won't come close fulfilling his potential staying in MLS.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Go to any minor local soccer game and see the tactics that managers/coaches will employ...it's a joke. We overly emphasize good sportsmanship and encourage youth to evenly distribute the ball so everyone gets a chance to play.

That's fine and dandy, but it stifles creativity. I was in Italy for a year when I was a kid and enrolled on a soccer team when I was 9. I was scolded numerous times for breaking formation, and would always ***** about our central midfielder hogging the ball. He was phenomenal...and it came as no surprise when I found out he has been playing for a team in Serie A (Pescara).

Local youth coaches are much more strict. We have unlimited subs at most levels in youth soccer. In England at the age of 5, you only have 8subs all game and as the players grow the number go down. I believe it's 14 where the games in England allow only 3subs. Really makes the player focus on his fitness, skill ect... more so he gets to play. We care like you said about equal playing time, sportsmanship and stuff that may sound nice but is actually hurting our youth skill.

A player who isn't as good should go down a level to a different team or fight for his place. Competition to earn a spot is much better. I see a couple times certain players do not get equal playing time. In Canada at least, it's down to the coach having biased towards his kids and his kid's friends.

Practices in the highest local teams for each age group are a complete joke and utter embarrassment.

-Warm up

- 2 5-8man rondos with the circle/square way to large and kids joking around,
transitional play from defense to strikers with no pressure till the strikers and the defenders are the leftover players aka players who suck/coach's doesn't like them. The real back 4 defenders are simply passing the ball to the midfield.

- a shooting/volley drill with no pressure on the shooters. The incredibly large number of shots missing the net from 15-18year olds inside/around the 18 is sad. Not to mention, everyone is in the shooting drill, is a big problem. A CB should be working more on positioning, being commanding, tackling in their training. Not if they can shoot an 18ish yard shot/volley past a gk.

-Crossing/corner kick drill with no defenders. Again everyone is doing this drill even if you are among the short players on the team. I have seen a couple times a gk come out and punch or catch the ball and got told off by the coach for almost running into a player. If the gk had bad technique or comes out to far from his net, then fair enough but that wasn't the case that I saw. A very important part of being a gk is being brave and strong in the air.

-Between the couple GK trainers at the local club, the number of different techniques is to much. One main difference is that one guy teaches gk's to guess on PKs and the other teaches the gk's to watch the ball.

-once every 2weeks is a 45min with guess trainers which makes the team do different sprinting drill and bodyweight exercises. Fitness training once every 2weeks is low and if the players are serious about soccer. They should be expected and going on runs/working/sprint training after school.

-Then to finish off the practice usually a scrimmage with the coach(es) talking and having Tims.

The coaches aren't really coaching 9/10 times, instead, they are simply telling the players what they are doing at training and talking to each other.

Then in games

Most teams just play high pressing which causes both teams to kick it up and let the players run behind. It shows that 9/10 players aren't fit to last a 45min half nevermind a whole half. The one or two players each team that is fit do cross country/track and field. Youth soccer where the purpose is the development of the players. We should be teaching a more passing, attacking, skillful, creative style of play. Instead, we get a bunch of clueless parents who are coaching just so their kid can play. Some coaches who don't know soccer will have the guts to blame the team.

Even worst the coaches who yell at players to sprint back 40-50yards in 3-5seconds after they just sprinted forward the same distance late in the game. Players who got injured, give the ball away a couple time and is worthless for a whole min or 2 till they catch their breath are super common. Coaches can't expect high energy soccer for 70-90mins without proper training. Not to mention nutrition, tactics, and players understanding what is expected from them.

Most teams I see whether u11 or u18 have a rough time talking, the confidence on the ball is lacking on most players, the IQ of a player to find space is low. Most players will rely on their pace instead of both their brain and pace. Creativity is super low, and when a player makes a clever run and is a tiny bit creative. He meets a dumb teammate just running straight, who tells off his teammate making a looping run far post or something. Most players will then just run straight so they don't get told off again. Hockey tactics used while attacking like a drop/one timer pass, 3-4players go for a rebound. Wingers the number of times both wingers are on the touch line when in the final 3rd is disturbing and most players see nothing wrong. GK's are usually among the most unfit, short players on the team as well. Whatever they are teaching from age 5-10 is so pointless.

This thing which annoys me the most, these coaches think they are smart and know the game for watching a good team like Arsenal/Barca/Madrid/Bayern ect...

Coaching is IMO the most important thing we need to fix in Canada's current system.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This x1000000000000000

Yes, these academies might make a couple NT team players but if we want to be a consistent world cup qualifying team. Which should be the goal at this stage of Canadian soccer. We will need a lot more work in our youth system.

You cannot do this without adequate funding- and this would have to either come from donors or the public sphere. You would need to revamp the education system and get knowledgeable soccer volunteers who have had experience in a structured setting. This all cost $$$, which I don't think Canadians are willing to invest in. My friend is currently coaching an elementary soccer team...they have 3 soccer balls for 15 players.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The CSA is a wealthy organization but they don't want to invest the money in a quality grass roots structure and coaching. Plain and simple. Look no further.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
The MAINBig Picture Problem is not with the CSA, or the 3 Professional Academy's. One of Which is the Best Funded in the MLS by a considerable margin.

Its with the Provincial Soccer Associations. None of them will listen to the CSA, they all have separate goals, league structures and rules. And have combative relationships with Private football Academys(such, as Sigma+others) and the Professional Clubs.

Fun Fact During the 2014/15 MLS Season Robinson was the 4th Highest Paid Head Coach, in Greater Vancouver.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
The CSA is a wealthy organization but they don't want to invest the money in a quality grass roots structure and coaching. Plain and simple. Look no further.

They can't do so directly. They do it via Funding Provincial Associations, none of whom are willing to cooperate. As they all know best in their eyes.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
You cannot do this without adequate funding- and this would have to either come from donors or the public sphere. You would need to revamp the education system and get knowledgeable soccer volunteers who have had experience in a structured setting. This all cost $$$, which I don't think Canadians are willing to invest in. My friend is currently coaching an elementary soccer team...they have 3 soccer balls for 15 players.

I could be wrong but I always thought that provincial/local government were in charge of giving schools the money for sports equipment.

I agree though that the change needed won't be cheap. People are willing to pay $500 for a rep team, other leagues are $2000+, add in private soccer academies, new cleats, driving cost, ect... I think a good number of Canadians want higher soccer training for their kids and future generations. I also think a good number would be willing to help fund.

I believe I saw somewhere that more kids in Canada play soccer than anything else, including hockey. So there is definitely a big market for improving the quality.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
The MAINBig Picture Problem is not with the CSA, or the 3 Professional Academy's. One of Which is the Best Funded in the MLS by a considerable margin.

Its with the Provincial Soccer Associations. None of them will listen to the CSA, they all have separate goals, league structures and rules. And have combative relationships with Private football Academys(such, as Sigma+others) and the Professional Clubs.

Fun Fact During the 2014/15 MLS Season Robinson was the 4th Highest Paid Head Coach, in Greater Vancouver.

Is it Vancouver?

I always thought DC had the highest funded academy tbh.

DyerMaker66*

Does Canada have to win tonight or would a draw be helpful?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
[snipped]

This thing which annoys me the most, these coaches think they are smart and know the game for watching a good team like Arsenal/Barca/Madrid/Bayern ect...

Coaching is IMO the most important thing we need to fix in Canada's current system.

You perfectly outlined everything that is wrong.

Some teams are evolving strategies and seeking out qualified individuals to coach but a lot of coaches are still trying to use strategies from football, ultimate frisbee and even hockey on a soccer pitch.

I get why a coach wouldn't be so invested in a team. Most of the time, they are either volunteers or being underpaid. I sound awfully selfish but I certainly would not devote more than 12 hours a week like they do in Europe.

I could be wrong but I always thought that provincial/local government were in charge of giving schools the money for sports equipment.

I believe I saw somewhere that more kids in Canada play soccer than anything else, including hockey. So there is definitely a big market for improving the quality.

You are correct, I meant Canadians in general (varies from province to province). In BC, we are shutting down schools and there's not nearly enough money to invest in extra curricular activities. Hard to believe, but there are less sports offered in the public school system nowadays. Most grass pitches in Vancouver elementary schools have become sand pitches since it's easier to maintain.

While more children are playing soccer, we sure as hell lack infrastructure. The 2015 Women's World Cup brought the first public soccer pitch at Empire Fields in Vancouver (with nets and painted lines) last year.

Does Canada have to win tonight or would a draw be helpful?

Ideally, a tie (they aren't winning in Mexico). A loss wouldn't be devastating but it would pretty much mean Canada would have to win the remaining games or win and draw the remaining games if El Salvador and Honduras draw tonight.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC

Why would be be judging our player development on a random minor local soccer game. You could have watched my Silver 1 team play 10 years ago and gotten the idea we were far too focused on winning from skill development. Ignoring the fact that I bet a strong majority of the players in that league probably didn't even play at the college level, let alone any tier of professional.

It's all about how the development is at the Selects level, how the youth academies are developing players. I think a lot has changed and the infrastructure put into place over the past 4 years has gone a long way. I think you'll see different types of players coming out of the system in 5-6 years with the likes of Alphonso Davies leading the charge.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Is it Vancouver?

I always thought DC had the highest funded academy tbh.

Its Vancouver. They Have Setup Academy's Centre's in London Ontario, Nanaimo ,Victoria, Vernon,Kamloops,Saskatoon,Regina. and Of Course In Van.

Due to Alberta Soccer Politics they were not able to secure backing to open one in Calgary.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not sure what other lineup he could go with tonight.
Edgar is healthy. DAVID EDGAR. Easily the best CB we have.

Henry is also hot garbage.

If we're giving away the game, why is Hoilett playing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad