GDT: Canadian Soccer | Final Pre-WC Friendlies - Sept 23 @ 11 AM vs. Qatar

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
It’s much more fun being the ultimate Monday morning center back. ;)

There'd be scads of fixtures, results, standings and highlights. Full time job with OT (all unpaid volunteer, of course).

giphy.gif

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I actually went to.the world cup in 2018. It was tons of fun, crowds miles around the stadium, getting drunk and having a blast. So many people from so many places and meeting some was so cool. The stadium was so loud and intense, constant cheering and fan chants. Then when England lost because they had so many fans it was a deafening quietness over the entire place. I went with some friends from England and I cheered for England as an honorary fan. If canada made it it would be so much fun and even though we might not do well It's so much fun in person.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I actually went to.the world cup in 2018. It was tons of fun, crowds miles around the stadium, getting drunk and having a blast. So many people from so many places and meeting some was so cool. The stadium was so loud and intense, constant cheering and fan chants. Then when England lost because they had so many fans it was a deafening quietness over the entire place. I went with some friends from England and I cheered for England as an honorary fan. If canada made it it would be so much fun and even though we might not do well It's so much fun in person.

If Canada qualifies I am absolutely going to Qatar I don't give a fuuuuuuu

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
FIFA 2022 World Cup CONCACAF 3rd round qualifying fixtures:

Matchday 1 - Thursday, September 2

• Canada vs. Honduras
  • United States vs. El Salvador
  • Panama vs. Costa Rica
  • Mexico vs. Jamaica
Matchday 2 - Sunday, September 6

• United States vs. Canada
  • El Salvador vs. Honduras
  • Costa Rica vs. Mexico
  • Jamaica vs. Panama
Matchday 3 - Wednesday, September 8

• Canada vs. El Salvador
  • Honduras vs. United States
  • Panama vs. Mexico
  • Costa Rica vs. Jamaica
Matchday 4 - Thursday, October 7

• Mexico vs. Canada
  • Honduras vs. Costa Rica
  • El Salvador vs. Panama
  • United States vs. Jamaica
Matchday 5 - Sunday, October 10

• Jamaica vs. Canada
  • Mexico vs. Honduras
  • Costa Rica vs. El Salvador
  • Panama vs. United States
Matchday 6 - Wednesday, October 13

• Canada vs. Panama
  • Honduras vs. Jamaica
  • El Salvador vs. Mexico
  • United States vs. Costa Rica
Matchday 7 - Friday, November 12

• Canada vs. Costa Rica
  • Honduras vs. Panama
  • El Salvador vs. Jamaica
  • United States vs. Mexico
Matchday 8 - Tuesday, November 16

• Canada vs. Mexico
  • Costa Rica vs. Honduras
  • Panama vs. El Salvador
  • Jamaica vs. United States
Matchday 9 - Thursday, January 27, 2022

• Honduras vs. Canada
  • United States vs. El Salvador
  • Costa Rica vs. Panama
  • Jamaica vs. Mexico
Matchday 10 - Sunday, January 30, 2022

• Canada vs. United States
  • Honduras vs. El Salvador
  • Mexico vs. Costa Rica
  • Panama vs. Jamaica
Matchday 11 - Wednesday, February 2, 2022

• El Salvador vs. Canada
  • United States vs. Honduras
  • Mexico vs. Panama
  • Jamaica vs. Costa Rica
Matchday 12 - Thursday, March 24, 2022

• Costa Rica vs. Canada
  • Panama vs. Honduras
  • Jamaica vs. El Salvador
  • Mexico vs. United States
Matchday 13 - Sunday, March 27, 2022

• Canada vs. Jamaica
  • Honduras vs. Mexico
  • El Salvador vs. Costa Rica
  • United States vs. Panama
Matchday 14 - Wednesday, March 30, 2022

• Panama vs. Canada
  • Jamaica vs. Honduras
  • Mexico vs. El Salvador
  • Costa Rica vs. United States
Concacaf World Cup qualifying 2022 schedule for Octagonal final round | MLSSoccer.com

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I know this is the CONCACAF qualifying but I've been following the Asian qualifiers as well and North Korea dropping out made things a little more interesting

As for Canada, they have a decent shot tbh. Davies and David have to be really good but I have faith

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I know this is the CONCACAF qualifying but I've been following the Asian qualifiers as well and North Korea dropping out made things a little more interesting

As for Canada, they have a decent shot tbh. Davies and David have to be really good but I have faith

The African 2nd round qualifiers go from September 1st to November 16th after some delays.

2022 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Second Round - Wikipedia

No dates given for the Asia 3rd round qualifiers.

Europe qualifiers will resume on September 1st until March 29th.

2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) - Wikipedia

South America will resume on September 2nd to March 29th. There were 10 games postponed on March 25th, 26th and 30th. No dates for those matches.

2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (CONMEBOL) - Wikipedia

Oceania hasn't set any dates for their qualifiers.

2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) - Wikipedia

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Only against Martinique but also without our best players. Davies and David are both out with injury and won’t play in the tournament.

Buchanon looks like he could be a deadly mirror down the other wing from Davies in the next round of WC qualifying…

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Only against Martinique but also without our best players. Davies and David are both out with injury and won’t play in the tournament.

Buchanon looks like he could be a deadly mirror down the other wing from Davies in the next round of WC qualifying…

Thanks for mentioning that. Watching the El Salvador/Guatemala game on FS1.

Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Doesn't much matter. Defensively this team looks like a trainwreck, even against a Martinique. to give up a goal like that, and several scoring chances to a side of such poor quality means theres tons of work and I don't trust Herdman to get it done. Can't say I like either a team that is show boating and ecstatic to get out a marginal win against a poor side and while not even keeping a clean sheet and having to come from behind. I don't know that theres any Canadian defenders I have a lot of faith in. Used to be a strongpoint to our national game. Now with more offense it seems we're just far worse defensively. I mean that first goal allowed was high school lol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Doesn't much matter. Defensively this team looks like a trainwreck, even against a Martinique. to give up a goal like that, and several scoring chances to a side of such poor quality means theres tons of work and I don't trust Herdman to get it done. Can't say I like either a team that is show boating and ecstatic to get out a marginal win against a poor side and while not even keeping a clean sheet and having to come from behind. I don't know that theres any Canadian defenders I have a lot of faith in. Used to be a strongpoint to our national game. Now with more offense it seems we're just far worse defensively. I mean that first goal allowed was high school lol
Defense is by far the weakest point of the team. Losing Tomori to England (lol) was a big blow. We're going to have to hope for some more recruitments for 2026.

That said, this isn't Canada's "A" defensive group that played today either.

What do you have against Herdman lol? He's probably in the top tier of managers we could realistically hire for a 70th ranked team. Plus he actually wants to coach Canada and seems to be good for player development.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Defense is by far the weakest point of the team. Losing Tomori to England (lol) was a big blow. We're going to have to hope for some more recruitments for 2026.

That said, this isn't Canada's "A" defensive group that played today either.

What do you have against Herdman lol? He's probably in the top tier of managers we could realistically hire for a 70th ranked team. Plus he actually wants to coach Canada and seems to be good for player development.

I don't think Herdman really did enough with the Womens National team. Somewhere in the Christine Sinclair arc we should have been able to do better. jmo.

Hard to argue the bolded though. I mean I don't know what quality Canada could attract. I suspect not better.

But that said in Football, even more than hockey I credit Defensive play. Teams don't go anywhere without being solid defensively. England and Italy both were in the tournament and thus in the final. Belgium in contrast looked suspect to me from the word go.

The Germany team that used to have a solid back end that were able to win it all in 2014. Sure they could score. But they prided on not conceding. Since then Germany have unraveled defensively and thus they don't advance.

Teams don't go anywhere in tournaments if they can't keep the ball out of their net. So I don't just the Canadian team at all on Davies, Davis etc. but on what is their apparent achilles heel.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think Herdman really did enough with the Womens National team. Somewhere in the Christine Sinclair arc we should have been able to do better. jmo.

Hard to argue the bolded though. I mean I don't know what quality Canada could attract. I suspect not better.

But that said in Football, even more than hockey I credit Defensive play. Teams don't go anywhere without being solid defensively. England and Italy both were in the tournament and thus in the final. Belgium in contrast looked suspect to me from the word go.

The Germany team that used to have a solid back end that were able to win it all in 2014. Sure they could score. But they prided on not conceding. Since then Germany have unraveled defensively and thus they don't advance.

Teams don't go anywhere in tournaments if they can't keep the ball out of their net. So I don't just the Canadian team at all on Davies, Davis etc. but on what is their apparent achilles heel.
The WNT would've beat USA that one year in the Olympics if the reffing wasn't terrible in that game. Even so, 2 bronze medals is an accomplishment considering USA is clearly more talented and France/Brazil/etc. are on par, if not better, than Canada.

Herdman is the right coach for the team at this time. He's charismatic and has a reputation for caring about his players. That goes a long way towards player recruitment, especially for a NT that has had tons of trouble cap-tieing dual nationals in the past. Canada are not at that stage where they need a "fine tuning detail oriented" coach to put the finishing tactical touches on a fully matured team. I suspect what will happen is Herdman will be transitioned to football operations for the CMNT in a few years and he will be able to take care of things like player recruitment and development. At that time hopefully the team will have more prestige under their belt with a higher ranking and be able to attract a higher caliber of coach in terms of tactics and fine tuning. That said, Herdman is not bad tactically. He just knows the strengths of his team and defense isn't one of them.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
CONCACAF Gold Cup table

GROUP A

PosTeamWDLGfGa+/-Pts
464.svg
EL SALVADOR1002023
289.svg
MEXICO0100001
298.svg
TRINIDAD0100001
552.svg
GUATEMALA00102-20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GROUP B

PosTeamWDLGfGa+/-Pts
475.svg
CANADA1004133
281.svg
UNITED STATES1001013
4439.svg
HAITI00101-10
4333.svg
MARTINIQUE00114-30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GROUP C

PosTeamWDLGfGa+/-Pts
278.svg
COSTA RICA1003123
484.svg
JAMAICA1002023
1672.svg
GUADELOUPE00113-20
3410.svg
SURINAME00102-20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GROUP D

PosTeamWDLGfGa+/-Pts
627.svg
PANAMA0000000
472.svg
HONDURAS0000000
3752.svg
QATAR0000000
1671.svg
GRENADA0000000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
CONCACAF Gold Cup fixtures

Tuesday
Group D

Qatar vs Panama @ 5 PM
Honduras vs Grenada @ 7 PM

Both games on OneSoccer & FS1

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Terrible goal given up by Grenada keeper, Reice Charles-Cook. He took the back pass from one of his players and pushed the ball to his left to kick it away. Honduras forward Jerry Bengtson raced in and got to the ball first and poked it in with Charles-Cook wondering what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad